Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Used rig or kit for newbie?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Used rig or kit for newbie?

I recently discovered the world of rc rockcrawling and decided that I wanted one! I have been looking all over these forums and havent really come to a conclusion on whether a used rig or a new kit would be better for me. I used to screw around with the original t-maxx years ago so I have some rc experience. One of things I noticed with kits is that most need electronics, could I use my old electronics off of my t-maxx? Also am I going to need to buy any special tools to work on these or will standard mechanics tools be fine?

Any help is appreciated!
eganracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

well for electronics, the only thing off your maxx i would use would be the reciever, other than that u will need a good motor like a 55t for a nice cheap one, and a good servo like a hightech, then a good esc like a sidewinder but there are plenty others that people are using...u can buy an ax-10 rtr for pretty cheap and they are all ready to run wich is good. the reason i would suggest getting a new one is cuz to me half of the fun is upgrading to better parts.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Personally I would go with a new kit if you got the $ to put into building a new one. This gives you knowledge of how it goes together so that you can fix stuff when (not if) you break something. For electronics really do some reading on here about each setup that's available. Personally I like the Sidewinder esc's and for motors either 45t or 55t or if you really want the best of both worlds the 7t Cobalt. You might also check into the Tekin FXR / 55t combo. You're gonna want a good steering servo as well, something like a Hi Tech 645 at least, and if you got the $ a 5955 or 7955 is an excellent investment. Some of that kinda thing you just gotta really spend some time reading different threads on here to pick out what you want and get more familiar with what works and what doesnt.

There are several excellent deals coming through the for sale section here for well built AX10's now that everyone is making the jump over to the Bergs, but my you really want to know what you are looking for before you just buy the first decently priced rig you see.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #4

I am in the same boat as Eganracing is, except I want to upgrade from a New Bright r/c toy crawler. I already know that none it's electronics will work in whatever I end up with. Personally, I am fan of the CR-01.
axl_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #5

i just got into the crawler thing myself an went with the ax10 kit it says 15 hours to assemble but if you have a good idea of mechanics and r/c stuff then your pretty much set. i only used the manual to see which bags i needed for each step. i didnt even look at how it told me to put it together it was all pretty strait forward. it took me about 4 and a half hrs to get it to a roller and about 20 minutes the next day to throw electronics in.

i personally use a old brushed motor its called a monster max and i have 2. ones a 17 turn and the others a 27 so far all ive used is the 17 and it has great low end grunt and plenty of wheel speed for mudding/trail stuff. ive been into the r/c thing for over 25 years and its changes alot. and so far crawlers are the most fun
ax10ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Buying a used kit can open a can of worms and end up costing you way more than you think. Unless you know what you are getting or who you are buying from I would stay away from used.

If I remember the T-Max had a rather strong steering servo for an RTR and you may be able to get by using that. The radio isn't bad and you get the third channel switch if you decide to go rear steer or dig. So all you really would need to buy for a kit, I recommend the ARTR, are the ESC and motor which you can get for under $100 (55T motor=$25, CC Sidewinder=$70) and don't forget about batteries and charger.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would buy a good used crawler for your first truck. Then decide which way you want to go from there.It costs a lot more to build one than to buy a finished used rig.When I bought my first rig it was used. When I wanted to upgrade I kept the parts I wanted and sold the rest to upgrade the chassis.

Last edited by MOCRAWLER; 08-16-2008 at 07:52 AM.
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCRAWLER View Post
I would buy a good used crawler for your first truck. Then decide which way you want to go from there.It costs a lot more to build one than to buy a finished used rig.When I bought my first rig it was used. When I wanted to upgrade I kept the parts I wanted and sold the rest to upgrade the chassis.
I completely agree and that is what I did as well.

My first rig was a SW2 with TLT's and a pede trans. Another thing in your favor with a used crawler, is the economy is in the crapper and some people are hurting for money. You can find some nice deals in the classified section if you have the money to buy them. I highly suggest reading through the forums, making a list of what you think you would want, and then look for a crawler that most closely matches your list. Be sure to check the feedback section. We have had a few bad sellers and traders lately. The more time you invest in researching what you want, as well as being patient for the right deal, will net you a good crawler and a great start into the hobby.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote