Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Crawler design Ideals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Crawler design Ideals

While in the building stage I often wonder, what are the "Ideals" that i'm trying to work towards?
It effects all my decisions all the way through the build.
So far i'm thinking (but not sure on)
-minimum centre of gravity
-maximum ground clearance
-minimum weight ??
-maximum steering angle
-Front - Rear weight distribution??
-Articulation??
-minimum axle steer
-maximum available torque
-maximum available wheel speed

If I knew the ideals I'd know which way to go when building things.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

it sounds like if you can make a build with all of those you mentioned then you would have a unbeatable rig. but im not sure what your getting at or asking here.
Krown Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

My answer will be of no use to you at all. I think...

Ultimately, its your call. All that you mentioned is great, however, everything on your list affects everything else and has to work harmoniously. Its all give and take.

For example:
High ground clearance means you'll get hung up less, but can increase your torque twist. Softer tire foams can wrap around rocks better, but your axle may hang up more.

My AX10 is configured very closely to my buddy's but for some reason his crawls best with all 4 wheels weighted the same, where mine likes more weight up front. I have no clue why?

Your personal driving style will give you the answers much better than anyones feedback.
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
tjb
Rock Crawler

Your best bet is to come as close as possible to all of the things you are shooting for and drive the heck out of it. You are probably find out that a lot of things you want will not fit your driving style. The big thing with this end of the RC hobby it to keep experimenting, and testing. It never ends if you want the "perfect" rig for you.....
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krown Kustoms View Post
it sounds like if you can make a build with all of those you mentioned then you would have a unbeatable rig. but im not sure what your getting at or asking here.
I'm just trying to get an idea on what we're all aiming for. I wasn't sure on some things like front/rear distribution etc so i was posting to see if i was on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke31+6 View Post
My answer will be of no use to you at all. I think...

Ultimately, its your call. All that you mentioned is great, however, everything on your list affects everything else and has to work harmoniously. Its all give and take.

For example:
High ground clearance means you'll get hung up less, but can increase your torque twist. Softer tire foams can wrap around rocks better, but your axle may hang up more.

My AX10 is configured very closely to my buddy's but for some reason his crawls best with all 4 wheels weighted the same, where mine likes more weight up front. I have no clue why?

Your personal driving style will give you the answers much better than anyones feedback.
I'm trying to solve 'em one at a time with my builds, the high ground clearance puts some of your weight up high which goes against the low cg thing, so i want to have as little weight in the chassis as possible etc.
Your comment about the front/rear weight of the ax10's is interesting.
some guys have the wheels weighted evenly and some use delrin rears and weighted alu fronts looking for max front/rear weight ratio??
I'm still not really sure on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Your best bet is to come as close as possible to all of the things you are shooting for and drive the heck out of it. You are probably find out that a lot of things you want will not fit your driving style. The big thing with this end of the RC hobby it to keep experimenting, and testing. It never ends if you want the "perfect" rig for you.....
I see your point, get my rig set up and learn to drive around the compromises so that i'm happy with it.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default jduke31+6

QUOTE" Your personal driving style will give you the answers much better than anyones feedback. well said Mr duke
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote