Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Turn, turn, turn...what does it mean exactly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Brushed motors are very different than brushless motors but both have similarities. I will try to explain a brushless motor as best I can however I dont know quite as much about brushless motors as I do brushed motors.

Both types consist of: motor can, magnets, armature, and wire. A brushed motor also has brushes. Brushed motors have magnets fixed inside the can. The wire is wrapped around the armature which spins between the magnets. When power is sent to the motor, the brushes transfer the power to the commutator on the armature. The wire now has been energized creating a magnetic field opposite the magnets in the can thus forcing the arm to spin.

A brushless motor is similar but opposite. It still has magnets, wire, arm and can but no brushes or commutator. Instead of the armature having wire on it, it is a magnet armature and a very powerful magnet at that. The wire is wrapped in bunches inside the can. Power is sent from the speed control to the wires, energizing the wires in the can to create the magnetic field just like the armature in a brushed motor. The opposite magnetic fields force the armature to spin. As far as brushless motors being defined by turns I think it could go two ways. I think its just a rating to compare the brushless motor to a brushed one.

"Turn" ratings can be achieved two ways. (I'm just guessing on this part but it makes sense to me) Either A: more wire is inside the can therefore when it is energized it creates a stronger magnetic field causeing the arm to spin faster, or B: the speed control just puts out more power to the motor itself. Maybe someone else can shed more specific information on this?
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
RCC Addict

This was may response to a "duh, what's brushless mean" post on one of my youtube videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post

a typical dc (direct current, like a battery)
electric (the chemical potential to do work based on transfer of excited electrons, kinda, in a battery)
Motor (the thing that spins and makes the truck go forward)
has an armature (the spinning part)
passing current through a wire wrapped around part of the steel armature makes a magnetic field. current going one direction makes the motor go forward, current passing the other direction makes the motor go backward.
the current is passed through brushes to the spinning armature, which reverses the current, and attracts and repels the pieces of the armature to permanent magnets mounted in the motor's case.

Brushless motors mount the permanent magnets on the armature (still the spinning thing)
and mount the wound up wire to the motor's case (for an in-runner)
A special speed control with 3 wires switches the current in the fixed (non moving) coils making the motor run without brushes by attracting the permanent magnet on the armature to different magnetic poles in the winding..

On some brushless motors, it looks like the whole motor is moving, it is a close guess. One end of the motor that mounts to the chassis is fixed, and the coils are connected to it. The armature runs through the coils, and connects to the back of the motor case, and the permanent magnets are mounted to the outside of the case (like a brushed motor)
the difference is the whole case turns with the armature and the coils staying still unlike the moving coils and armature in a brushed motor.
this setup allows more torque to be produced from a smaller package.

but I still wonder about how winds are counted, and how they compare power/speed-wise to brushed if at all
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote