Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tamiya Lunchbox...good for crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #1

Default Tamiya Lunchbox...good for crawling?

I've got a line on a new Tamiya Lunchbox kit at a good price ($90) and was wondering if this kit is suitable to make a crawler out of. It comes with a 540 motor and I am thinking that may be too much speed vs. torque. Is there any truth to that and do you think this kit would be good for a first time hobby grade rc setup?
axl_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

The Lunchbox is very fast, is meant to do wheelies, and is 2wd so no it would not make a good crawler platform.

However, back in the day a friend of mine locked the rear diff, and added weight to the front end to reduce the wheelies. It was a fun truck for us to go play on small rocks with and drive on construction lot dirt hills. With a 55T motor the low speed control would be better.

The bottom line is if you want a true crawler on a budget then save your money and get a Wheely King. It has a lot of potential as a crawler and can get you started for very little money.
You can get an Axial and get it running for cheap as well but it will be more money than the WK unless you can find it used.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #3

Oh, only two wheel drive? The site I saw at states 4wd. That's odd. I wonder if that is intentional or perhaps the retailer doesn't know.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Is it built? You specified "new"?

I would leave it alone............... Buy/build a crawler.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Might not hard core crawl with it but fun any way, Imex had clod wheel tire kits for black foot and seen it on a few lunch boxes but I do rember one kit thay had in Car Action Buyers Guide in early 1990's it was like a clod Zilla type frame and it was 4linked it was awsome it was flexing on a box and lengthing the wheel base so just lock the rear and hammer on it wish i still had that mag
pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #6

It's new...One other question: Is the Midnight Pumpkin a 4x4?

In reading the comments made on this thread, I am probably going with an AX-10 or a CR-01...the AX-10 is a little cheaper from what i have seen in looking around on the net. Is it possible to buy the kits with out the clear bodies? I've got a 1/10 body that I want to use.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Midnight pumpkin uses the same chassis as the lunchbox.

so does the wild willy.

just different bodys.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #8

Thanks all I decided on the AX-10...Just gotta save my pennies now...Should have it by the end of September.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Both of those kits you mensioned are old, I dont know how much part support there is for those. Keep that in mind when you buy as well.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
Both of those kits you mensioned are old, I dont know how much part support there is for those. Keep that in mind when you buy as well.
Are you speaking out of your avatar picture?

While both are old, both are 100% supported and have been re-released so getting parts isn't hard at all.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Are you speaking out of your avatar picture?

While both are old, both are 100% supported and have been re-released so getting parts isn't hard at all.
That really is disgusting, btw and I am not easily offended.

When you guys say that those kits are old, you are referring to the lunchbox correct? I know that has been around since like 1987...

There are just too many decisions when it comes to buying a setup...I thought I wanted the axial but, the wheelie king looks pretty good too.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have no control over my avatar pic. For some reason the moderators decided to take over that part of my profile. They disabled the avatar function in my User CP and I cannot change it myself. I apologize if you are offended, I am too. However they seem to feel that these immature pictures are appropriate. Again I apologize for their immaturity.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

save your pennies and buy a used axial you end up saving money in the end because you send money on usually the same parts anyways
so do alot of research on upgrades while saving a keep an eye out for a used one that has most of the upgrades you were going to buy anyways

just my 2 cents
0778drz110 is offline   Reply With Quote