Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: A few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A few questions

Hey there every one I'm a little new to the RC crawling world. I stumbled on a few videos on you tube of some ppl crawling. I thought it was the coolest thing I think I have ever seen.

Any ways, I wanted to know, how serious do these get? How much do they cost to build/buy/maintain? Are they pre-built? I have no idea when it comes to RC rock crawling. Now I do have an RC Car

Its an RC 10 T4. It was a kit that I have built my self but its probably nothing compared to these, or so it seems. Well If some one could shed some light, or give me a crash coarse on the CRAWLERS! So i can learn how to buy, and become a crawler! Thx again

--Jeret:smile:
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

They have all type for different people. They've got a axial ax10 RTR comes ready to play except for a battery and charger. They've got the ax10 kit that you have to build and buy all electronics and wire them up.(recommend, so you know how to fix if every breaks). Then they've got a ax10 ARTR thats a kit truck but comes assembled and has a few upgrades from the factory you just have to put on your electronics and all. The rtr is about the same price as the kit and artr but doesn't have any of the aluminum upgrades that the Kit versions do.
Then theres Enroute Bergs. That's a hole new can of worms there. You'll have to ask someone else about them. I'm not that familiar.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info, so about how much does the axial ax10 RTR run for? And do crawlers generally break often?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

the rtr version you can get just about anywhere for about 270 shipped. some places a little more. But the rtr has lots of plastic parts where the kit and the ARTR version have aluminum. (lower and upper links)(trans spacers)(steering rods) and the rtr kit you will be replacing things as soon as you really go out and do some real crawling because of the electronics. Servo is too weak, the links(plastic) give a lot (bend) and it comes with a 27t motor wich is great for rock racing because its a little faster. but is lacking in torque a little. so it gets bound up a little in some rocks with gaps. But on the plus side. if you bought a rtr all of the upgrades and hopups for the kit version also fit the rtr. And believe me you will be upgrading things as you play b/c you'll see places that have weaknesses in the performance and you'll wanna (beef) it up a little. Look around the forum for like stage 2 kits for them and relocate the batteries with a splitpack battery to the front axles and add 4oz. of weight to the front wheels and 2 oz. to the back and you can have a great time, with a fairly capable crawler.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Also about breaking the crawlers. Its all about the driver. you will learn the limits of your rig and you'll eventually know what you can and can't do. once you break a few things you'll pretty much no the vulnerable places on the crawler and that's when you do what I was saying and beef them up.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hmm so which has better, or longer lasting parts? The kit or the ready to drive? So the kit has a weaker server than the ready to drive?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The kit has no electronics what so ever. nor does the Artr version. the rtr version comes with everything you need to get going except battery's and charger. BUT, the rtr version comes with cheap electronics that you will end up replaceing any way. Not to mention it also has a lot of plastic where the kit and Artr version have aluminum. if you google the rtr ax10 and look at pics and google the Artr ax10 and look at the pics you'll see the aluminum pieces that I'm talking about.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

well you can throw 300 (Axial RTR) to 1500 (fully built/tricked out scaler or large comp rig) probably.

if you can build thats a huge bonus. the cost is all about the things you buy, new or used, or package deals ect...
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I bought the AX-10 Pro-kit. (this is the one that requires alot of assembly). It was a ton of fun to build. I would recommend it to anyone. It is nice to be able to say... "I did that." The other bonus with this setup is that you can choose what you want for goodies, and how much you want to spend on a certain item. If you know your addicted to Lipos... no biggie. Buy the Speed controller you need... etc. I bought exactly what I wanted... and was happy for about an hour.

I have $600 into my setup. (Initially) Some of it I bought from Local Hobby Shop (LHS) and payed more than I could have if I bought it online.

I got the Pro-Kit
I bought a Futaba 2 channel radio.
I got the Novak Rooster CE and motor combo.
and I upgraded my servo to a Hytex MG645. (a lot of people use them.)
I also put some money into new charging system, and batteries because of how dated my stuff was.

This forum is the best place you will find for information on this sport. It can get very addicting very quickly. One word of caution. The video's on Youtube are very cool... but it isn't just what you have in the rig that makes the incrediable climbs. There is alot more driver talent in this sport then I have seen in any other forms of RC.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldWeazel View Post
One word of caution. The video's on Youtube are very cool... but it isn't just what you have in the rig that makes the incrediable climbs. There is alot more driver talent in this sport then I have seen in any other forms of RC.
Yeah I have been looking on Youtube allot at these. Now I do imagine driving these and actually being good at it is no easy feat, but when it comes to a rig, I just want it to perform well, i don't want a chepo thing that wont crawl for crap, haha. No I will probably be sucked into this and start upgrading, but until then I think I have my mind set on the AX10 RTR. But do all these parts, servos, gears really make that huge of a difference? I mean will the RTR crawl decently stock?

And thanks for answering all my newbi questions guys! Your a great help, until i can get to know my way around better when it comes to crawlers.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I got into rc crawling after a friend brought along a mildly modified Wheely King with him on a recent off-roading/camping trip. We found an old rotted log and made a course on it. Having long been into full-size rock-crawling, I got hooked. The last time I played with R/C cars was nearly 20 years ago, and like you I didn't quite know where to start. I had ZERO parts/accessories for R/C.

I chose to buy the AX10 RTR because I wanted to mess around with it immediately and for the lowest possible entry cost. I also didn't want to have to build the thing from scratch or paint the body, since I was more interested in a "toy" not a "model". So, I picked up a pack of 8 Duracell AA's, a cheap NiCd 6-cell battery and got an old NiCd charger for free from a friend. My total cost ended up around $275.

I've had the crawler for only a couple of weeks, and already I can tell I should have prepared myself to spend around $700 to build a decent crawler. Knowing what I know now, I should have started with the AX10 ARTR because the RTR has too many plastic parts that already need replacing. I bent the rear lower links, the plastic steering links are weak, and the upper link mounts are wearing out. The body posts are cheap, too. The steering servo is pretty weak and the motor is entirely too fast for decent crawling. So, now I'm on the upgrade path. However, I also don't want to waste money buying cheap upgrades that won't last, then have to spend more money buying the right thing.

If I had to do it all over again (and I had the funds immediately available) I would do this:
AX10 ARTR (because it has metal links, is already mostly built, and the body comes pre-painted).
Hitec 7955 servo
Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7T motor
Tekin FXR ESC
JR XS3 3-channel radio
Elite 5iBC charger
I'm still undecided on what type of battery to get, whether to go with a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) 7.4v (2S) or 11.1v (3S), 2/3A NiMH saddle pack, A123 batteries, or a basic high-capacity stick pack.

Those are the basic high-dollar components that you will likely not need to uprade and/or replace later. Other stuff like links, springs, shocks, mounts, wheels, driveshafts, tires are things you will need to adjust and tune as you become more familiar with the hobby.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Well i can definitely say I'm some what int eh same boat. I am planning on getting upgrades for it eventually, just not this moment. I know eventually I will be buying upgrades out the wing wang for this thing, but I want to buy something that is not two much work just to start off. And once I make sure I REALLY want to jump into this hobby, I can buy up-grades from there.

Now you say the engine is to fast for rock crawling?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantalk View Post
No I will probably be sucked into this and start upgrading, but until then I think I have my mind set on the AX10 RTR. But do all these parts, servos, gears really make that huge of a difference? I mean will the RTR crawl decently stock?
If you're pretty sure you're going to get into this, I strongly recommend the ARTR instead of the RTR, especially if you have the money. If you're sort of on the fence about how far you want to go with this, then perhaps the RTR is better because you can decide if R/C crawling isn't your thing.

Like I said in my previous post, I have the RTR, and my friend bought the AX10 kit and added his own electronics. He has an older Novak ESC, a 55T motor, a pretty good JR 2-channel radio, and a nice high-torque servo. He also picked up a set of soft springs for the front axle, and his AX10 crawls a lot better than mine. So, yes, the components make a HUGE difference.

BTW, I noticed you're in San Jose. My friend and I live in the south bay also, close to Campbell. If you'd like to see how our crawlers perform, you can take a look yourself some time.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I want to buy something that is not two much work just to start off. And once I make sure I REALLY want to jump into this hobby, I can buy up-grades from there.

Now you say the engine is to fast for rock crawling?
Adding the electronics is definitely not too much work. Double-sided tape, a few zip ties, and some screws is all you need to get the ARTR going. IMO, the biggest hindrance to the ARTR is the cost of the electronics, not the assembly time. But if you've got the funds, do it right. You'll get far more enjoyment from the ARTR than the RTR.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

AWESOME! Well I don't have an unlimited amount of $ And idk if I really want to go full blown here, because I stumbled on this my self, I have yet to meat any one in person that does it. So it would probably be only me using it, unless I hook up with you guys some time. But as I was saying, I think I was going to go about half way with modding and upgrading, and then go from there. Because I also Ride dirt bikes allot, which means they like to suck in the money also! ha ha. But if im not riding, im usually sitting on my butt doing nothing, and thought this is an awesome! way to spend some spare time. Only thing is I'm mainly a lone wolf diving into this, so I wasn't planning on going full blown here.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
BTW, I noticed you're in San Jose. My friend and I live in the south bay also, close to Campbell. If you'd like to see how our crawlers perform, you can take a look yourself some time.
Near camble huh? I'm not to far away from there either, Tell me, do you know the cross streets of Almaden and blossimhill?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
AWESOME! Well I don't have an unlimited amount of $ And idk if I really want to go full blown here, because I stumbled on this my self, I have yet to meat any one in person that does itBecause I also Ride dirt bikes allot, which means they like to suck in the money also! ha ha. But if im not riding, im usually sitting on my butt doing nothing, and thought this is an awesome! way to spend some spare time. Only thing is I'm mainly a lone wolf diving into this, so I wasn't planning on going full blown here.
Haha, well my 1:1 4x4 sucks major hunks of money, so I'm with you there. But I tend to use it only during the summer/fall because I usually go up to the Sierras to go wheeling. This RC crawler will fill some weekends during the winter and spring while we wait for the snow to melt. We used to go to Hollister a lot, but it's not as much fun as getting away from it all in the mountains.

Quote:
Near camble huh? I'm not to far away from there either, Tell me, do you know the cross streets of Almaden and blossimhill?
Yep. I'm close to Union and Camden.

BTW, check out this thread on converting an RTR to something more.

Last edited by XPLORx4; 08-25-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah, one more thing: maintenance and repairs on these crawlers tends to be a lot less expensive than repairs and maintenance on nitro-powered trucks and basically any R/C car that goes fast. Crawlers typically don't suffer as much carnage because of the low speeds involved.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yep. I'm close to Union and Camden.

Really? Union and Camden.? Thats not far from me at all, How cool to find some one local! haha. Your right there by the RC store. And Ill make sure to check out that link.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Oh yeah, one more thing: maintenance and repairs on these crawlers tends to be a lot less expensive than repairs and maintenance on nitro-powered trucks and basically any R/C car that goes fast. Crawlers typically don't suffer as much carnage because of the low speeds involved.
Yeah, when I first saw some of the Vids I would have guessed that, I have an older T4 Race buggy its electric but still get with it, its currently out of commotion. But I have a controller and batteries all i need is the crawler haha. Any ways, My bud has a nirto rustler, and he has dumped tons of money into it just on repairs, so i hear you on that 1.