Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking for first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #1

Default Looking for first crawler

hows it going everyone? just want to say thank you in advance for the help.

i am looking to get a new "toy" for me and my daughter to play with. i currently run/race 1/10 stadium truck with a castle creation brushless system so i know how to work on RCS. the problem i am having here is my daughter (who is 4) wants so badly to play with my truck, but its waaaay too fast for her, so instead of replacing suspension parts and chassis like i have been doing i figured a crawler would be perfect for her ( and me )

i have have an initial budget of about 300, but it has to be RTR.

i have researched the duratrax cliff climber. i have seen it in action and it has decent articulation, but i hear it has a really bad glitch problem.

i have also researched the losi mini crawler. it has gotten so great reviewsm but i am not sure i am sold on buying a mini alike with the cliff climber.

then theres the end all be all (atleast what most people claim) the Axial AX10 rtr. people are raving about this rig. its gotten good reviews with the exception of it being claimed as too fast for a crawler ( an easy fix with swapping the motor to a 55t). but my issues with it is it seems waaaay too stiff. she doesnt have any articualtion. i know alot is bad, but some is good right>?

so if i go with the AX10 rtr what can i do so give her more bend? i understand the rtr shares alot of parts with the kit, so what gives? where does the rig lose its flex? any help is more than welcomed.
loudassgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #2

So, have you considered the Wheelie King? That seems to be another popular model and also the Tamiya CR-01 would be another good choice...I am new to so, I thought I would add my two cents...perhaps some of the more seasoned guys will chime in here. I am looking at the A10 myself and if I am not mistaken you can change the gear in it to make more of a crawler...seems i have read that on several websites...also, check out the A10 build thread...lotsa good advice in there. Welcome and best of luck to you!
axl_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl_rose View Post
So, have you considered the Wheelie King? That seems to be another popular model and also the Tamiya CR-01 would be another good choice...I am new to so, I thought I would add my two cents...perhaps some of the more seasoned guys will chime in here. I am looking at the A10 myself and if I am not mistaken you can change the gear in it to make more of a crawler...seems i have read that on several websites...also, check out the A10 build thread...lotsa good advice in there. Welcome and best of luck to you!
sorry if this is a repost, but ole pooter is acting up.

i have looked into thos rigs, but they are mostly rigs needing conversion to crawlers.. which is cool, but i am looking for a purpose built out of the box crawler. lol however i am not expecting to get a 3 grand comp rig either. lol something that crawls outta bax that i can mod..
Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudassgeo View Post
so if i go with the AX10 rtr what can i do so give her more bend? i understand the rtr shares alot of parts with the kit, so what gives? where does the rig lose its flex? any help is more than welcomed.
First off you will need to lower the truck. You can rebuild the shocks and install the limiter inside the shock. (shortens the overall shock length)
Next install some soft springs in the rear of the truck. Running a stick pack on the battery deck will make it top heavy. You will want a saddlepack for the front axle or a lipo w the front battery mount.
You will want to add weight to the wheels (stick on type around the rim)
At first you may want to leave the slipper on the tranny so your daughter doesnt break things...You should try to lower/trim the body so nothing hits and your COG gets as low as possible. These are the cheapest changes...next you will want to change out the plastic links maybe go to a 4 link set up and get the aluminum steering links and a better servo.
The rtr comes w a tx rx servo and motor. If you have extra of these lying around I would go w the artr version. It comes w all the hop ups you will eventually invest in. In the end you will be spending at least $400.
The axial is a real good value....
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Try an AX-10. Great rig with good aftermarket support. Sometime a fresh start is best.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #6

I own the ax10 rtr and I put the included locker and lower tooth pinion in. origionally ran the stick batteries on the top deck, and crawled decent but needed lower cog and softer springs. I am now running same set up as stock except I now use the soft springs, and batteries off of a losi mini lst and set them on the servo, using zip ties. crawles really well even compared to my buddies ax10 artr, which has all of the alum., a $200 motor set up, and lowered suspension.
Justin 3J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 AM   #7

nice. thats what i was leaning towards. i want something out of box with minimal work, but has support. i already plan on upgrading to aluminum and going all out..... but in due time you know. i like to buy "inexpensive" rc's to learn and get a feel for them, then go all out.
like with my stadium, i bought her bar bones cheaper car and now that i have a learned how to wrench on it she is all aluminumed out with a crazy brushless system.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The RTR will be a great truck for your 4yo daughter to play with. The stock 27-turn motor is still a little fast, even with the 14T pinion installed, and the throttle is very touchy. If you want a slower crawler in which the throttle isn't so twitchy, replace the 27T motor with a cheap 55T. That'll get the wheelspeed down a lot.

My RTR is still basically stock, except for some very minor changes. I've trimmed the body for more clearance, added wheel weights, drilled holes in each wheel, and star-cut the foam in the tires. I also added medium springs in front, zip-tied the driveshaft yokes, and flipped the battery tray upside down. I run a stick pack on the bottom of the battery tray, sticking out above the front upper links. I also performed the mirror-imaged transmission flip, which is supposed to help torque twist a little.

Last week, I replaced the plastic steering links by getting an aluminum rear-steer kit and sticking it on the front ($25 on ebay), and after bending the rear lower links, I fabbed a pair new ones using Traxxas rod ends, threaded rod, and 1/4" x .035 aluminum tube.

It crawls a lot better than stock, but I still have a long way to go. The upper link axle mounts are failing, so I need to replace them. My next major upgrade will be a new HiTec 7955 servo, since the stock servo has measly torque.

Last edited by XPLORx4; 08-26-2008 at 09:24 AM.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I also have a rtr axial and the mods ive done to it are, replace the bottom links with traxxas turnbuckles, integy 45t, Hitec 645, weight in the wheels, star cut and narrowed foams, and i run a protek lipo pack in the stock location(on charge lasts around 1 to 1.5 hours). I can go places my friends modified wheely king cant.
Ramboy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboy06 View Post
I also have a rtr axial and the mods ive done to it are, replace the bottom links with traxxas turnbuckles, integy 45t, Hitec 645, weight in the wheels, star cut and narrowed foams, and i run a protek lipo pack in the stock location(on charge lasts around 1 to 1.5 hours). I can go places my friends modified wheely king cant.
ok, sounds great. what about this... along with the softer springs i run the aluminum links with the bent lower portion ( i cant recall its actual name)? i had also planned on cutting the foam and dilling small holes in the tires. does this sound like a good attack plan? oh yea, i was also going to get a 55t motor.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

If I were you, I'd just get the Losi mini crawler... especially since you plan on letting your daughter play with it. Being that it's 1.9 tires, it'll be easy to find areas for play that are challenging but not treacherous. Plus it does come as a true rtr crawler out of the box. Also being that it's made by Losi, you know there will be a lot of after market support. In addition, with all the attention it's getting I'm sure there will soon be a competitive class for mini crawlers running 1.9 tires.

However, if you plan on competing soon, or getting balls deep into it then consider a 1/10 scale rig like the axial. Just keep in mind that you'll end up over your budget by the time you add the necessary upgrades to make it a good crawler.

Best would be to get both, then you could have one and your daughter could have her own. Besides once you get hooked you'll end up spending that much money on rc crawling anyway.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am new at the crawler hobby as well, but have tried to do as much research as possible and make sure I get the right rig. I share this R/C hobby with my 8 year old grandson, so I like to keep things simple and fun.

My plan is to buy the Axial ARTR ($230), add the Novak Rooster Crawler & 55T ESC/Motor combo ($104), and use my existing radio system. The ARTR comes with all the bells and whistles like aluminum bent links, upgraded tires, you name it and it has it.

Just my 2 cents, but another option to consider...
Prostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet View Post
My plan is to buy the Axial ARTR ($230), add the Novak Rooster Crawler & 55T ESC/Motor combo ($104), and use my existing radio system. The ARTR comes with all the bells and whistles like aluminum bent links, upgraded tires, you name it and it has it.
That's a good plan, but you'll definitely want to upgrade the steering servo, too.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_kanaka View Post
If I were you, I'd just get the Losi mini crawler... especially since you plan on letting your daughter play with it. Being that it's 1.9 tires, it'll be easy to find areas for play that are challenging but not treacherous. Plus it does come as a true rtr crawler out of the box. Also being that it's made by Losi, you know there will be a lot of after market support. In addition, with all the attention it's getting I'm sure there will soon be a competitive class for mini crawlers running 1.9 tires.

However, if you plan on competing soon, or getting balls deep into it then consider a 1/10 scale rig like the axial. Just keep in mind that you'll end up over your budget by the time you add the necessary upgrades to make it a good crawler.

Best would be to get both, then you could have one and your daughter could have her own. Besides once you get hooked you'll end up spending that much money on rc crawling anyway.
i completely see where ur coming from. i just dunno. all the mods werent going to be made right off the bat. so it would be gradual you know? the only thing right away i would do would be the 55t motor (20 bucks) and the softer springs (10 bucks) so it wouldnt be too bad.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Get an ax10 scorpion rtr its cheaper than building ur own
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #16

I started with a wheely king, for the simple reason that 220 bones would get you something you could do ALOT to for very cheap, There are just soooo many parts to build, move, tweak. Its not really a crawler till you get your fingers dirty.

just my two cents
Venturestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

My friend’s 5 year old son loves driving his axial rtr. He ask to play with it everyday after kindergarten. It has only a few mods and works great in a homemade rock course. The fenders have been shaved for clearance; lead shot added to the front tires, softer springs and that is it. Overall all my friends and family run axial and the only main problem is the artr front drive shaft popping out under high stress. But seriously the rtr is a great way to start out you can always up grade it and you'll end up spending about the same.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
My friend’s 5 year old son loves driving his axial rtr. He ask to play with it everyday after kindergarten. It has only a few mods and works great in a homemade rock course. The fenders have been shaved for clearance; lead shot added to the front tires, softer springs and that is it. Overall all my friends and family run axial and the only main problem is the artr front drive shaft popping out under high stress. But seriously the rtr is a great way to start out you can always up grade it and you'll end up spending about the same.

that was my thoughts exactly. i know the artr come with most mods, but whats the price on it? for the 239-250 for the rtr with the 20 dollar motor and 40 dollar alluminum upgrade i would only be at about 300 bucks. granted its a cheap radio, but still.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudassgeo View Post
that was my thoughts exactly. i know the artr come with most mods, but whats the price on it? for the 239-250 for the rtr with the 20 dollar motor and 40 dollar alluminum upgrade i would only be at about 300 bucks. granted its a cheap radio, but still.
You still need rod ends and pivot balls ($20ish) better tires w memory foams ($40) metal hexes for wheels ($20ish).
The RTR is a good vehicle but it is not the same as the kit or the ARTR.
You can get a kit for $220 motor $20 servo $30 esc $70 and tx/rx for $60. $400.
The RTR $250 all the parts needed to turn it into a kit crawler...
That is about $350..and you still have the stock servo TX/RX and esc...
For $50 more you will have rock solid electrics...
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermbuster View Post
You still need rod ends and pivot balls ($20ish) better tires w memory foams ($40) metal hexes for wheels ($20ish).
The RTR is a good vehicle but it is not the same as the kit or the ARTR.
You can get a kit for $220 motor $20 servo $30 esc $70 and tx/rx for $60. $400.
The RTR $250 all the parts needed to turn it into a kit crawler...
That is about $350..and you still have the stock servo TX/RX and esc...
For $50 more you will have rock solid electrics...
anything cost money in time i guess. but even though money is somewhat an issue i am straying a bit here from what i originally wanted. something my 4 year old could bash/control. then when she aint lookin, something daddy could take out on the rocks and "crawl". i am not really looking for a comp rig. something thats fairly capable out of box, but something that me and her could modify in due time.