Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Experts! Please ENLIGHTEN Me - Motor Torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Experts! Please ENLIGHTEN Me - Motor Torque

Hello Folks,

Firstly thanks out to all the amazing members in this forum contributing invaluable information to the hords of newbs like myself!

And of course a huge thanks to the people that keep this site up and running!

This maybe a plain old stupid question but I wanted to ask what kind of torque we were talking about when referring to your run of the mill 540 can motor (Mabuchi)? Is the torque comparable to the horse power of a nitro engine?

My second question is... what happens to an electric motor under strain? If for instance I were to use an electric motor for PULLING?

Lastly, is there a high torque motor out there recommended specifically for pulling?

Just to cover all bases, when searching the forum for torque, many of the threads refer to torque twist... another popular result is regarding the Cobalt Puller .

Thank you in advance!
Mike
mcho78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I belive electric motors make full torque from the start, and Nitro has a curve up to it. As for a motor under strain, it can vary on what the turn of the motor is. If it is still moving and the progress is not stalled, you are fine(keep it realistic though). For a "pulling" motor, just try a lathe.

I have not put my outrunner under extreme preasure, but it is rather strong. Electric is you best bet over nitro, as nitro will over heat. Mind you I am no expert and you probable will want some confermation.
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

if you have questions about pulling motors etc I would reccomend looking up Thundertech racing. The owner is a realy nice and helpful.

In my opinion I would go with a 55T lathe. As far as torque compared to a nitro...Nitros have basically no torque compared to an electric
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Revoster is right an electric motor hits max torque almost instantly and a Nitro motor has a high rpm/ torque peak that is one reason nitro motors are not good for crawling or pulling.
For pulling I would HIGHLY recommend the Holmes Hobbies cobalt pullers, I have seen a few people use them in crawlers and they have BRUTAL torque! Lots of broken parts!! But the puller guys around here seem to deal with the torque it makes with the beefy parts they use to build their rigs. The key to pulling is a fine balance of torque and wheelspeed to help clear the tires as they dig through the dirt.

Torque twist is what happens to a softly sprung shaft driven rig and high torque motor the right front wheel tries to lift off the ground while climbing steep stuff.

Hope that helps some.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

In motor theory the maximum torque is a 0 rpm. Also 746 watts equals 1HP so if any motor you find states a wattage you can then convert it to respective HP.
sparky0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hello All

Thanks for the wonderful replies! Very informative and perfect for my needs!

Revoster: Never new that Electric was better for torque... I knew that the curves were significantly different but was always under the impression that at full throttle, Nitros far exceeded Electric in terms of torque. Thank you for the clarification

Jetboat: I will definately touch base with Thundertech! Thanks for the great lead

Racerx: Great information and YES! very helpful and informative! Those HH pullers are super sexy :-P Thanks for heads up and the great info on torque twist

Sparky0068: Awsome information Now I can simply use your conversion method without having to wonder what kind of torque I have on my setup Very much appreciated

Thanks guys for the amazing information... I have to support this site more proactively... where else would someone like me figure this stuff out

Cheers,
Mike
mcho78 is offline   Reply With Quote