Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: battery question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default battery question

Hey i run the novak goat and i and still trying to find my right battery setup and i have a 6 cell micro pack i used on my mini-t (reciever cells) and was wondering if i could use it and if it would harm my electronics. thanks
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by life_livin View Post
Hey i run the novak goat and i and still trying to find my right battery setup and i have a 6 cell micro pack i used on my mini-t (reciever cells) and was wondering if i could use it and if it would harm my electronics. thanks
You can run a 4 - 7 cell NiCd or NiMH (like your 6 cell micro) or 2 cell lipo
so yes you can run your pack, some popular choices depending on application are a split 6 or 7 cell Elite 1500 2/3A pack or a 20C 2cell 1500-2200 lipo etc, you'll get good run times with either of those.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i dont think my charger can charge 2/3a cells its cheap im savin up to get a new one. do you think id be pushing the micro pack to hard and if i was is the a chance of my esc getting damaged??
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i dont think my charger can charge 2/3a cells its cheap im savin up to get a new one. do you think id be pushing the micro pack to hard and if i was is the a chance of my esc getting damaged??
The only way your batteries can damage your esc is if you run more than 7 cells Nicd/NiMH or more than 2 Cells Lipo.

You might flatten and over heat the battery but this will do no harm to your goat.

you can charge NiMH 2/3a cells with a wall pack charger if you want. I think you'll find your mini-t pack will be Nimh anyway so whatever charger you use for that will be the same as you would use for elite 1500's.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

IF your charger charges at or can be turned down to 1.5 amps for the charge rate,then it'll work. If not,you'll end up cooking your cells. Getting your cells warm is a good thing,that means they are full. Cooking them is a bad thing. You'll either shorten the life span a good deal or cause the cells to vent.

I'd recommend a Hyperion. IMHO,they are one of the best options in chargers. Mine is VERY simple to use,my 12 year old uses mine. It'll charge dang near anything I'll ever need to charge with RC cars.....Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC Charger

IMHO,A GOOD charger is one of the best investments a guy can make if you plan to do much with hobby grade RC.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you want to go down the lipo path I would recommend a 2cell 20C 1500-2200mAh or there abouts and for a charger you can get the
EK2-0851 or equivalent for less than $20, you might like to get the version with the wall pack power supply if you want to charge at home, otherwise it needs 12V DC from a car battery/accessory plug etc.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ill check into and see if i can use my mini-t charger to charge 2/3a thanks for the awsome replys
Old 08-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i just checked out my charger and my mini-t charger my dynimite charger charges reciever packs at 1 amp and my mini-t charger charges at 1.2 amps will these work????
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i just checked out my charger and my mini-t charger my dynimite charger charges reciever packs at 1 amp and my mini-t charger charges at 1.2 amps will these work????
yep, I take it they are peak chargers of some kind? 1A is fine, so is 1.2 as the above post says.

there are a few 7 cell Nimh packs for sale here, two of them are elite 1500s the other is a venom 1200 i think, Twisted has them, he's asking $20 for the three posted
That would be a good cheap option for your goat.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thanks for telling me about those packs ill talk to my mom.thanks alot guys