Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Battery Cell Size Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Battery Cell Size Question

So I made my own pack from some standard 6 cell NiMh batteries that I had lying around and there seems to be a problem. I made an 8 cell saddle pack and I when I try to mount it on the front axle it stops the tires from turning to their limits. Are the 2/3 A cells different sizes from the ones normally used in stick packs? Or is there something wrong with the way I made the packs?

Cells are mounted side by side in a 2x2 pattern. Nothing fancy. They are Reedy 3600 cells and in a 8 cell pack they are pushing plenty of power but mounting the cells has me lost. No matter which way I rotate them they block the tires. Suggestions are appericated.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Some have got sub C's to work. IMHO,they are just to big. 2/3a's are a good deal smaller. Holmes Hobbies has some ready made packs that fit the Axial axles.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think I can do a 6 cell pack modded to fit over the servo. Right now I am getting almost 2 hours of runtime cuz the cells are so large and they add a lot of weight. But at the same time, I want to be able to add the weight over the axels and take a cut to the run time, as long as I still get about 30+ minutes out of it. Are there any things like axel extensions that could be used?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

2/3 cells are 2/3rds the size of tbe sub C cels you are using, I've gotten a 6 cell sub C pack counfigured like a six pack of beer to fit on the front axle, but its all on one side. you can use this a put more weight over the side that lifts due to torque twist. The main thing is to have the pack mounted far enough back to clear on the front side of the axle. Clearance is close but the wheels can turn from lock to lock. The main issue I have is body clearance durin full articulation.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So an 8 cell saddle pack should fit just fine when it straddles the servo? TCS ones for example. I am looking into getting one of those packs from them as they are ressonably priced. Also, can you give answer some questions about droop. IE what weight oil and what stiffness springs to use. I am looking at getting the TCS Edge chassis and they recommend running droop so I just need to know what weight oil to use. I did search and there was not alot of info on setup as far as oil. Thanks for all the help so far, I plan on getting ready for comps when they come my way. Also is a tuber a better choice for a comp rig?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
I did search and there was not alot of info on setup as far as oil.
WHAT Evar.

There's been so much debate on the droop set up it's sickening. There's no way to nail down a set up or what oil/spring to use. The key to a good droop set up in the valving in your shocks being right with the weight of your rig. Since we don't know the shocks your running,or the weight of your rig,or the angle they are mounted,or the springs your running.....it'd be hard to say. ALL shocks have different valving,so they all require different weight oil. No two rigs weight the same,so it's hard to say.

Compared to all other suspension set ups,droop requires the most trial and error and adjustments to fine tune it. It's really rig specific and since no two are the same,you gotta try it out. I've seen guys run oil from 30 weight all the way up to 5000 weight. It all depends.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
Also is a tuber a better choice for a comp rig?
In my opinion no. They seem to be really hard to flip back over when they roll, and it's tough to get the CG low to keep them from rolling. That said.... I have seen some nice buggies that do well, but not nearly as many as tvp chassied rigs.

Mounting locations for batteries, and electronics are tougher to figure out on tubers too.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

[quote=TheSCorpionKing;1324808]2/3 cells are 2/3rds the size of tbe sub C cels you are using quote]
a 2/3 a cell is 2/3 the size of an a cell...
2/3 a cell is .66" thick x 1.18" long approx dimension
sub c cell is .90" thick x 1.73" long approx dimension

hope this helps
Berm
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote