Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Decisions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #1

Default Decisions...

Well, I have decided to get into the whole rockcrawling thing after my tmaxx. I have decided on an Axial, but I do not know what to get. I am weary not about putting the kit together, but more like the electronics. The Rtr sounds like a good option, however I know how that works, because in a few months Ill be spending more money in replacements than what i paid. So it is essentially b/t all the axial models. If anybody could give me a guide on how to wire or assemble this section please do.

And btw, is this a good electronics setup:
Traxxus transmitter
Novak rooster esc/55t motor combo
servo? (dont want to spend alot, but do want it to be decent)

and how exactly does all of this stuff come together?

Thanks
Chad_Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

if i wear you i would just buy the artr its not hard at all to put together it took me like 3 hours and i was only 14 so its a no brainier. and for electronics i would look around what are your purposes on battery if you want to get like a 11.1 lipo i would get a mm ive heard a lot of good about them
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

And btw, is this a good electronics setup:
Traxxus transmitter
Novak rooster esc/55t motor combo
servo? (dont want to spend alot, but do want it to be decent)

and how exactly does all of this stuff come together?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

once you get the parts in hand(even the truck) everything starts to make sense.....

youll need a reciever with the transmitter
I have the rooster/55t combo-the esc came with all wires connected(just had to solder wires to the motor)--actually I went the hobby shop for deans connectors and they soldered them on for free.
the reciever/esc will connect together via connectors
servo- dont get a cheap servo. had the ckrc wiggle, and that burned out in like 2 weeks. so, I went with the hitec 5955($100)(which is now the 7955)...way more power, and we'll see about relibility..and Ive heard hitec has good customer service

the artr is a good choice(what I started with), rtr is even better if you get bored of things easy(crawl for 2 months then get over it)..... if i could do it over I wouldve pieced together my rig-all thats left of artr is basically--steering linkage, wheels/tires, trans, and axle housing(with bearings)(axle innards are almost all after market).............. but yes the artr is a good choice(better than rtr or kit imo)
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #4

I wouldnt worry too much about installing the electronics, Chad. I was sort of in your position, but it all came together quite easily. The manuals that comes with it all, are easy to understand. If I got stuck at some point, I would search around the forum and get my questions answered. Ill try explain what I did when assembling my Axial ARTR.

I got the Novak Rooster Crawler Combo, and basically the manuals tells you everything you need to know. There is a "+" on the back of the motor showing which side is the positive, and the negative side is obviously the opposite. Capacitors are already installed, so you dont have to worry about those. I soldered the power wires on the opposite tabs of where the capacitors were. If you are not sure of how to solder, check out this video. This is for Deans connectors, but the same applies for soldering wires to a motor. If you havent got heat shrink, its no big deal. I see many who doesnt use that on the motor tabs. This video is quite handy if you need to change your battery connector as well. The Rooster ESC comes with a Tamiya battery plug, just so you know. I changed mine to a Deans, since my batteries got Deans connectors. I had never done this before either, but it wasnt that hard. So I bet you can do it too!

As for servo, I got the Hitec HS-5645MG Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servo. A good and fairly inexpensive servo. ($50ish) The servo fits on the servo mount without problems, just follow the manual. (If you want to use a alu. servo horn that comes with several servos, instead of the plastic horn Axial supplies, you might have to drill out the hole a bit. Youll see what I mean if you are trying to fit one on.) Then it's a matter of zip tieing the wires to the frames so they get out of harms way, and plug the servo wire and the ESC wire into the reciever. Check out pictures of other ppls crawlers if you are unsure of any of this. I can recommend the AX-10 Scorpion Picture archive. You can just copy what others have done when it comes to mounting the electronics. However, for a "standard" setup, the manual guides you through it.
supah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #5

i would go with artr it has more of the good stuff already added the electronics should be a breeze i am in the processes of building a super pimpcane crawler from scratch good luck.
mopar jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I myself made a mistake by buying the RTR, I would get the ARTR because it comes with a ton of upgrades and you can get a new motor and servo for 40 bucks or so
SDBigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Same boat as you, going with the ARTR. Lots of upgraded parts over the RTR and for motor/ESC going with the Rooster Crawler/55t combo.

Shop around, prices are getting very competitive. This site has links to lots of great deals as well.
Prostreet is offline   Reply With Quote