Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I know this is in the right place.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I know this is in the right place.....

What I am wanting information on is, what makes a puller motor so good? I know a little about "brushless" and a little about "brushed" but what's a puller motor? I hear about everyone using them and I am not sure if it's something I should look into for me.

YES, I did do a search and did not find anything as far as the info I was looking for. That's why I posted this here, so I wouldn't get FLAMED OUT. I hope someone can enlighten me a little so I can decide for myself if this would be the right direction to go.

Thanks for NOT flaming me out.
Hotrodblder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodblder View Post
What I am wanting information on is, what makes a puller motor so good? I know a little about "brushless" and a little about "brushed" but what's a puller motor? I hear about everyone using them and I am not sure if it's something I should look into for me.

YES, I did do a search and did not find anything as far as the info I was looking for. That's why I posted this here, so I wouldn't get FLAMED OUT. I hope someone can enlighten me a little so I can decide for myself if this would be the right direction to go.

Thanks for NOT flaming me out.
they say a picture is worth a 1000 words....
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
there are some good words in there too...
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

"You can't find a more powerful brushed motor for your crawler. You get insane wheelspeed, and the finest slow speed control. All in one motor!"
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The preformance is awesome at low speeds they are silky smooth and really controllable not jumpy at all and then when you peg the throttle the wheel speed is explosive. They are much smoother than any out runner brushless IMO. They are slightly longer 2.5" so just make sure you have room and you'll be good to go.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
"You can't find a more powerful brushed motor for your crawler. You get insane wheelspeed, and the finest slow speed control. All in one motor!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
The preformance is awesome at low speeds they are silky smooth and really controllable not jumpy at all and then when you peg the throttle the wheel speed is explosive. They are much smoother than any out runner brushless IMO. They are slightly longer 2.5" so just make sure you have room and you'll be good to go.

Not to flame you guys,but thats really a given from what everyone says on the board and not really answering his question.....

Quote:
What I am wanting information on is, what makes a puller motor so good?
What make the puller so good....

Bigger comm and brushes. The comm and brush in a puller is right at twice the size,maybe more,of a regular 540 can motor. That gives allot smoother feel in the throttle.

Longer arm. This provides a faster RPM and more power.

Cobalt magnets. The stronger cobalt magnets produce allot stronger magnetic field and in turn produces a stronger motor. The cobalt magnets being stronger,will also bump up the power your drag brake has.

I know there is more to the pullers that make them "that much better". These are IMO,the main advantage points in a puller. The overall construction of the pullers are also 10x better than most 540 can motors available to us at the moment.

Last edited by Reflection; 09-01-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #6

I wonder how many people are running these in their comp crawlers.
CowboysYJLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a lot Raptorman,
That's a lot of info. I guess the reason I was asking is because I am running a Novak Rooster and it's good down to 12T. I hooked up a stock 15T from my HPI E-Firestorm and it has hella wheel speed, enough to roll it in a turn, but had nothing for climbing. When I got to a step it just sounded like my tranny was stripping. So when I see or hear of people using a 7T puller I'm wondering what it's gonna do to my tranny.

I also want to say that I am running ax10 based gear for my drive train. Sorry I forgot to put that in.

Last edited by Hotrodblder; 09-01-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot information
Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

Longer arm. This provides a faster RPM and more power.
To add to this the arm also has 7 slots instead of the normal 3 found in most 540 motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodblder
I also want to say that I am running ax10 based gear for my drive train. Sorry I forgot to put that in.
I ran a cobalt 7 turn in my AX for a while. If you don't have a slipper I would suggest getting 1. I stripped spurs, twisted driveshafts and also twisted the front output on a VF/DNA dig. Its got some TQ.

The 540 is on the left and the Cobalt is on the right.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

holy @#%&, Wow!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysYJLT1 View Post
I wonder how many people are running these in their comp crawlers.
It's the first and only motor I have bought for my "comp crawler" and it is explosive!!! Funny thing I have now learned is people can tell when a HH7T is around. I heard many "he's running a puller" comments. It was kind of cool.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
Nope..

I'll see if the g/f can shoot some vid this weekend of my scale truck with a 7T on 14.4V to give you an idea of the sheer shit-n-get this thing has even in a 10 pound truck. . It's fun to say the least.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #12

TLTRyan what is a slipper?

Do either of you have problems with breaking drive shafts or yokes with your pullers?

Also where do you have your batteries located for crawling?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysYJLT1 View Post
TLTRyan what is a slipper?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUFG7&P=7

If you have the RTR AX-10 you should have one. My kit version AX-10 did not come with the slipper clutch.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUFG7&P=7

If you have the RTR AX-10 you should have one. My kit version AX-10 did not come with the slipper clutch.
Oh ok, I am not using the stock AX-10 tranny, I am running a R2D with built in gid on my comp rig. Hell there is not allot that is still stock from the ARTR kit.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

It'll work great. Personally,I like the 10t pullers. They'll handle higher voltage better and stay cooler,specially in a heavier rig. They are a touch slower than a 7t puller. On a 3 cell though,trust me,they are PLEANTY fast enough. As far as enough torque to crawl.....power wise,I feel they rank up there close to a quality outrunner. You won't be disapointed. With an Axial tranny,I'd recommend CDW 6mm outputs and at the least,maxx shafts. I'm running an Axial tranny,10t puller at 38:1 gearing on a 3 cell in my super. It's by far the funnest and best performing super I've built.

Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks a lot Raptorman,
That's a lot of info. I guess the reason I was asking is because I am running a Novak Rooster and it's good down to 12T. I hooked up a stock 15T from my HPI E-Firestorm and it has hella wheel speed, enough to roll it in a turn, but had nothing for climbing. When I got to a step it just sounded like my tranny was stripping. So when I see or hear of people using a 7T puller I'm wondering what it's gonna do to my tranny.

I running a HH 7T in my rig. Drivetrain (tranny, axles, etc.) is stock and I'm also running a VF Dig. I haven't had any trouble breaking/stripping stuff...... yet
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote