Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Want strong transmission with reverse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Want strong transmission with reverse

(reverse comment made because I heard some of the nitro rc(s) trannies have a strange reverse method that wont work)
That is basically what I need. I dont care what it came out of. I heard the E-maxx is a good choice. I also found some cool new housings for it.

What I am going to do is put the motor into the tranny, and then a pinion on the tranny output to drive the gear box in my little girl's powerwheels. So whatever transmission I get, I will put steel gears in it.

From what I have been told over on the modifiedpowerwheels site the "Gaucho" Jeep made by peg perego is the strongest gear box. I dont know if anyone has any better ideas, but these gearboxes are still housing plastic gears.

http://rideonpedaltoys.com/index.php...hk=1&Itemid=47

Looking at the "24v super power" apparently it is the strongest.

I am not sure the strength difference between building a rock crawling RC truck, and a little Jeep that has to drive a 30lb girl around, but the power wheels will be considerably heavier than any RCtruck I have seen.

Thanks for any insight.

-YeeP

Last edited by YeeP; 09-08-2008 at 02:44 PM.
YeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You might talk to Kamikaze when he get's back from Nationals.

Sophie's Vette..
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

why would you want second trans?
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Not really a second trans. That "gear box" on the hub of the power wheels is more of a portal gearing for and axle. There is not shifting, or change of gear ratio. The controller merely varys voltage to the motors to give the high/low effect. Problem there is you are cutting your torque in half to proceed at a slower speed. Hence, why not put a mechanical advantage in front of the portal? Then you can run at full voltage, and get an increase in gearing.

In my mind it seems like a good idea. I just dont know if this trans can handle it.
YeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

the trans is strong enough to carry my 300 pound ass around.my old big foot used a car battery for power and lasted all summer. it died when i was all hemped up on testostrone and decided to try jumping it.the gearboxes still worked fine but the frame bent up and snapped.i still have the gearboxes in my puller to tow my niece around in a wagon.ive had to replace the motors but the gears had little wear.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote