Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How ghetto would this be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question How ghetto would this be?

Ok I need to extended patch cable to reach from my MM to my lipo and motor, I just don't have the same type of wire to use, how ever I do have the same gauge speaker wire that I can make my run with the deans conectors.

I am going to move my MM my rear axle of my SW3 just to help with the cog. I have my rig in the TLT section.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Speaker wire is different from the type of wire used in RC's. You'll probably burn something up.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I thought all wire is the same depending on how many strands the more strands the more flexable it is at a given gauge?

Or am I missing something?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

dragon, you are correct, the more strands the more flexible. The difference would be is the gauge (or diameter) of the wire. But by saying speaker wire doesn't really clarify what your trying to ask. I've seen speaker wire from 22 ga (very small) to 10 ga (monster cable). so depending on what size wire you using for which application, I don't think you would want the use 22ga speaker wire to extend your motor leads, and it doesn't make much sense to use 10 ga to extend you signal wires. As long as you use at least the same size wire as the manufacturer for which ever application, yes it will be "ghetto" but it will work.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon51 View Post
I thought all wire is the same depending on how many strands the more strands the more flexable it is at a given gauge?

Or am I missing something?
the quality of the insulator (jacket) makes a difference in terms of amperage as well....For RCs the jacket of choice would be silicone.
Some of the high end BL motors are supplied w a teflon jacket.
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermbuster View Post
the quality of the insulator (jacket) makes a difference in terms of amperage as well....For RCs the jacket of choice would be silicone.
Some of the high end BL motors are supplied w a teflon jacket.
The insulation of the wire has nothing to do with the wires ability to carry amperage. Insulation is just that, insulation. If insulation was able to carry any voltage or amperage the wires would short out. The differences in insulation is only for different applications or types of protection.

The reason for silicone insulation in R/C world would be for flexibility and cost.

Last edited by Rogue; 09-11-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok that is what I thought I was planning on using the same gauge wire, it's just for now kinda out of a job right now, I have a interview on Monday I passed the 2 phone interviews!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

speaker type wire will work the only problem is the larger strands in the speaker wire will flex till they break faster than the rc type wire.thats why houses use single strand wire and cars use multi strand.houses dont move so no flex cars move so multi strand.the more movement the more strands to reduce breakage.my ghetto ass make it work mentality has used leftover single strand house wire for my speed control on my beater.worked fine for longer than i thought it would.

Last edited by thatguy; 09-13-2008 at 01:38 AM.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon51 View Post
Ok that is what I thought I was planning on using the same gauge wire, it's just for now kinda out of a job right now, I have a interview on Monday I passed the 2 phone interviews!
good luck hope you get the job.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks,...Thatguy
Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
The insulation of the wire has nothing to do with the wires ability to carry amperage.
Actually, in a way, it sort of does.

Some heat is generated due to the high current involved and the small amount of resistance that exisits in your battery & ESC wires (P=I squared R).

I'd be concerned about the wire getting hot enough to melt the type of insulation as used on speaker wire.

If that happens and your conductors short, then you have a real problem.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Get Deans Wet Noodle...Make the wire length sort as possible!! The longer the wire, the more Resisance, which creates heat. I have had success with stiff appliance copper wire that you can get at Menards Lowes Home Depot, Mills Fleet Farm. On the batteries I would use only the best, WET NOODLE!!

Last edited by scaryfast12; 09-14-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Battery Dependant
scaryfast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Actually, in a way, it sort of does.

Some heat is generated due to the high current involved and the small amount of resistance that exisits in your battery & ESC wires (P=I squared R).

I'd be concerned about the wire getting hot enough to melt the type of insulation as used on speaker wire.

If that happens and your conductors short, then you have a real problem.

Narly1
Insulation does not have any affect on the wires ability to carry voltage or amperage. If you are getting your wires hot enough to melt the insulation then your are using to small of wire. Resistance (R = P / I 2 or R = E / I or R = E 2 / P) of the ESC, batteries or wires is so small that it really would be a non factor in these application. Most times there in not an excessively high amp load on the system but for shot burst. There is really not much need to worry about heat build up in wires.

Not trying to pick on you but P=I squared R is ohms law for calculation of power and not resistance.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Insulation does not have any affect on the wires ability to carry voltage or amperage. If you are getting your wires hot enough to melt the insulation then your are using to small of wire. Resistance (R = P / I 2 or R = E / I or R = E 2 / P) of the ESC, batteries or wires is so small that it really would be a non factor in these application. Most times there in not an excessively high amp load on the system but for shot burst. There is really not much need to worry about heat build up in wires.

Not trying to pick on you but P=I squared R is ohms law for calculation of power and not resistance.
Just seeing this now and I feel that I have to clarify / vindicate myself.

From a theoretical sense you are correct that insulation does not have any effect on the current carrying capacity of the conductor.

HOWEVER, from a practical sense you want an insulation that can take a little heat.

It's not the low resistance of the conductor that causes the problem, it's the amount of power it dissipates.

And while you are correct that the amount of current is usually not high enough to worry about, when you add the cumulative heating effects of current over time + a stalled motor + high ambient operating temperature + a potentially undersized conductor, that's enough to scare me away from using vinyl jacketed speaker wirein this application.

One of the key specs when choosing insulated wire is it's maximum temperature rating.

And I believe I was using the correct formula for power, which is what I was referring to at the start of the sentence containing the formula P=I squared R. Heat in a conductor is a product of the power it has to dissipate.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

just forget everything posted above and go wireless. lol
It will work I promise.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
just forget everything posted above and go wireless. lol