Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: custom chassis or bought

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Default custom chassis or bought

hey guys newbie here just wanted to know if it was easy to build one or just go out and buy one i have been out of this hobbie for awhile now and seen that there was rc rock crawlers now and that it was time to get back in this hobbie any information will help thanks
newcrawler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I was kinda in the same boat, wondered if I should buy a kit or build one from scratch and ended up buying the Tamiya Hilux high lift. Always wanted a hilux as a kid but could never afford one and figured that I would have just as much in the scratch built as this kit so that's the way I went. Have seen some pretty sweet home brewed rigs on this site though.
F-150Highlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #3

true but some of those kit are pritty pricey thats why i kinda wanna go scratch build also i know your wheel base should be 12.5 and width 12.5 on a scale 2.2 rig and i know that they use a 1/10th scale body but how long can i go on the chassis and width on that
Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

The 12.5" deal is only if you plan on competing and using the USRCCA rules. If your just building for fun and/or a back yard basher....it's all up to you want you can/can't build.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
The 12.5" deal is only if you plan on competing and using the USRCCA rules. If your just building for fun and/or a back yard basher....it's all up to you want you can/can't build.
see thats where i kinda wanna go by those rules just in case i happen find a track near by me that i can go and compete and after come home and play on the local rocks
Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Well then,it's pretty easy to do the math,build links and your set. Most comp rigs run around 12 3/8"-12 1/2" WB. Track width max is 12 1/2" but at that wide it's hard to squeeze between gates. Most rigs set up for comps are between 9" - 10 1/4" wide on the track width.

The nice thing with a chassis thats been built,most vendors or builders have done the leg work for you. Most of the time,they set everything up so factory or easily obtained parts get you legal for comp regulation.

Building a custom chassis for yourself,can be done and can be made to work very well. It will take a bit more trial and error. You'll have to do your own leg work since it's custom.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #7

thanks for the info that will help but it a site just for comp rock crawling rules
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #8

I built my own, its time consuming but real fun, lots of things to take into account and alot of trial and error.
Venturestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #9

that is true but im not sure what axle to run every one is saying to start out with the tamiya tlt axle but i dont care for them i perfure the axial ax 10 axle but form my links can i still run the threaded rod for links in comp rules it dont say
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

you can make any kinda link you want.. the ax10 is a better axle out of the box IMO then the tlt.. unless you are building a scaler then the tlt may be a better choice..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #11

ok cool thanks i wasnt for sure because the comp rules didnt say that much on everything mainly just about wheelbase and width also how long,wide,tall the chassis should be
Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcrawler08 View Post
ok cool thanks i wasnt for sure because the comp rules didnt say that much on everything mainly just about wheelbase and width also how long,wide,tall the chassis should be
that is so you can be creative and do things on your own
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #13

cool thanks for the info now what type of metal should i use steel brake tube or a piece of flat stock of aluminum or square stock steel which is better
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Nope..

To me, if you are asking, you are answering your own question. If you feel like you can build it, go for it. If you feel like it's a big task, buy one. I'm all for building if you have the skill, but wasted time and money piss me off... so....
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Fabricating is a fun part of the hobby, and there is generally more room to do so on crawlers than on faster stuff where 1/16" of alignment is really critical. I'd start with engineering from a manufactured chassis, just to get a place to begin for link placement, lengths, etc unless you're really comfortable with the math involved.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #16

thanks for all the great info guys i have started to design my own chassis but base on super crawler class rather than class 2.2 i feel that i have more room on the other class i like a better bigger frame gives me more room i wanna go cheap but yet go expensive at the same time i still dont know what metal to use right now its based on flat stock but i can change that if i need to
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Just build your own. More fun that way and you'll learn more. I built my first chassis for my Clod build and I never looked back. I only just recently picked up a MFM Black Widow chassis, but any other chassis I have built for my crawlers before (4 to 5) have been fabricated.

You'll also have a sense of pride when you've made your own and it works out on the rocks. You just need to do a little research on suspension design and then get to fabbin'
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #18

yeah suspension sure is the worst
Venturestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #19

yeah sounds like a big pain for the most fact i started my own design for a chassis and i had found a body for it to my brother had gave me a hard bodie hummer h2 already started to make a alpha humvee out of it and know the color to designing the chassis to that now lookin for some axles for this dont no if i want clod axles or axials ax10 axles for this
Old 09-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcrawler08 View Post
yeah sounds like a big pain for the most fact i started my own design for a chassis and i had found a body for it to my brother had gave me a hard bodie hummer h2 already started to make a alpha humvee out of it and know the color to designing the chassis to that now lookin for some axles for this dont no if i want clod axles or axials ax10 axles for this
if you want to run more than a 12.5" wheel base I would go with clods. The reason I say this is to compete in supers you will need some bigger tires than 2.2 and the axilas will limit you on that respect. What size is the hard body you have. 1/10th, 1/6th? If its 1/10th I would say make a 2.2 scaler out of it and go with axial drive train. If its 1/6th you might want to go super and run clods. Its all up to you and what you want out of it. I'm just throughing out ideas.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote