Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How many of you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

I got back into RC after a 15 yr stint. Bought a rc10t4, but then my local track closed a week later. Stumbled across this site and went with the wheely king (no elec) because it was cheap. Then after building it up to a 2.2 crawler for little money I stumbled upon the 1.9 scale section (Bought axial trans and axles and tcs x trail chassis. Since then, it has been a like a drug addiction. The part I love the most is getting in the garage and fabricating parts. It is very rewarding when you make something that looks good and works well. There is also a tremendous amount of info here to keep you going. My 1.9 has been through about 8 transformations, to include 4 chassis, the latest was built by me. The inspiration ideas come from all the fantastic rigs people build.
sgtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

rc crawling has it all:

for the modelers, we have "scale rigs".

for the engineers, you have tons of mods, adding and developing your own ideas, and choosing and changing different set-ups to make the rig perform at its best.

for the drivers, theres comps and the greater ability to more effectively use your environment (indoors and out) to run your crawler as opposed to other forms of rc.

you can spend alot of money, but researching info on the site will give you direction and save you some money in the long run. i, like many others, converted from racing trucks.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Crawling is definatly addictive, my friend had a wheely king for a while and id go with him every once in a while and kind of mess around. Never really planned on getting a crawler cuz i like going fast. Then one day i was forced into getting an Ax-10 cuz it was a great deal and now i am hooked, and it keeps getting worse, now im getting hooked on scalers. Anyways the scorpian is the way to go, and if your competitive this will be the hobby for you to do, theres so many different mods and set ups and stuff you can make yourself to make it better, this hobby does not limit the imagination with parts you can create to make your rig better. No 2 rigs are alike (unless its a stock ax-10 i guess haha)
cfox109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #24

I Am Reduced From A $12k Real Live Bad Mo Fo Rock Crawler To My First Rc Crawler Due To A Young Wife With Expensive Taste, This Seems To Be Much Cheaper, And More Fun.

Last edited by ZUKING1; 10-10-2008 at 09:16 PM.
ZUKING1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
RCC Addict

oh yeah its addicitive,i started with a newbright 1:6 scale tj jeep,then bought a super clod kit.Made a chassis and links etc Fitted the jeep body.
Then i found RCC,so next came a clod super with a tuber chassis .
Now the super is a 2:2 clod tuber.
My cr01 has a clod truggy body ,a alloy cherokee body,and a cut cruiser body.
Whats good about this sport is it has everything for everybody,from RTRs to one off scale builds ,to everything in between , its how much you want put into it and how much money you have of coarse!.

In new zealand, the sport is only just taking off,weve only had three comps,so me and another member decided to organise a GTG(he arranged everything ,i just supplyed the bbq)next weekend,some guys are traveling 4 hours just to have a play...
So if your in NZ next weekend we will be at the mount!.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

i would suggest getting the berg, i tryed it with the wk and then the pti . countless hours of fabbing and making parts , got the berg and its like it works like its supose to without breaking gears, or worring the center of gravity is too high or re engineering alot of parts . i learned from my mistake an paid over 2000.00 in the 2 trucks when for arond 600.00 the berg would make a 2000.00 truck look bad
but thats my oppinion and have been wrong before
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

if you want to have something that out of the box can crawl well get the axial artr. but if you like to make parts and like working on things i would mod that clodbuster you got. it dont take a hole lot to make a clod a cool super. its all up to you man, you can buy a fun crawler rtr or you can buy alot of parts and build one yourself, or you can even build a basement freak that can crawl like spiderman. its all up to you. good luck.

daleo
daleo8803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #28

I know it's been mentioned but it is kind of up to you.

I just got back into the RC crawling and just bought an Axial ARTR. I did that just because everything is basically there to get started. I have been happy with it so far but like anything else there are lots of "upgrades" you can do to it and basically anything is possible it just takes some imagination.
DrewGzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #29

Wow never expected so many replies. Anyway I'm still in the decision phase but all points to the axial, may just buy some parts to get the clod going aswell. Thanks for all the info and I hope to be on the rocks soon.
Another reason why I was interested in crawling is I'm looking for somthing that's fun and I could do on my own. Right now there is a good amount of ppl in rc here on the island but it never lasts too long, meaning ppls attention spans slowly dissapate as it gets boring and eventually they give up. How would some of you rate this as a solo hobby? Eventually ill get my sons into it and then ill have some company but for now its just me.

Last edited by islandcrawler; 10-17-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: additional info added
islandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

As a fellow rc-aholic that use to be able to stagger now it seems all I know how to do is crawl I would say the ax10 seems to be the most popular and my fav. of my two crawlers so far -oh and don't let the scale rigs sneak up on ya they are hiding behind the crawlers, just a heads up
slow1 is offline   Reply With Quote