Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Cooler Weather / Less Traction ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cooler Weather / Less Traction ?

Obviously Ambient Temp and the temp of the rocks effects traction, but how much temp change does it take to make a noticable difference. It could be my imagination but it seems like the temps dropping from the mid 90's to the low 80's has changed how well my Panthers grip. (all other things equal). I have only had the Panthers since it has been hot.

Anyone else notice temp changes making a difference in rubber grip.... on Panthers or any other tires.

Have you ever noticed, or at what temp do you notice temp changing traction on the various tires?

Maybe some interesting discussion ??
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I haven't noticed any difference here with my Panthers. I'm sure temps around the freezing mark may effect it; i.e. make the tires stiffer. This will be interesteing to see with the Panthers, as they came out in May, when it was starting to get warmer.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

The change in temperature will effect the memory foams inside most people's tires more than the tires themselves, but the tires will suffer also.

Back when I ran Proline tires there was a definite advantage to running the M3 compound during the cold temps compared to the M2. As it warmed up the M3s became almost too soft and then making the switch to M2 showed performance and longevity gains.

It's all part of the fun.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've used claws in the frost before with memory maker foams and they still performed great.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
support@rc4wd.com

Put your rig on the floor of your car and crank the heat up when it gets colder
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
they still performed great.
Yeap, especially after I,

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborg5000 View Post
And they made fun of me for doing so, until I won a couple times.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #7

ive never had mine in the "warm weather' (it hasnt gotten over 50 degrees this summer). i was out the other day at about 40-45 degrees, with my losi rock claws and i kept thinking that they should be working alot better than they were, based on my memory of running a different truck in oklahoma last spring. i got down close, and watched the way they flexed, and was pretty disappointed in their performance. they are claws with the memory foams from my flat iron m3's. they might work well, like boggers usually do when i run it in the snow, but on rocks at cold temps, i was dissapointed.

today, i put on my flat iron m3's with no foams, at about 45 degrees, and was very impressed with their "cold" weather performance. traction was vastly improved on the rocks, and they stayed very flexible and sticky. i will for sure be sticking with the flat irons at least till the snow flies, when i think the claws may have a chance to shine.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #8

My Panthers seem to stick better cold. I tried a sidehill bounus is a comp 3 times and slid every time(mid day-mid 80's) That evening, the old course was still set up, I could do the bounus every time easily. The only difference was it was in the 60's
voodoooffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborg5000 View Post
Wonder if we could get tire warmers??? Even on warm days I'd sit the truck in the sun and rotate the tires to them them all hot.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Also if your tires aren't vented they could shrink and look like a square when you bring it outside. That's why 1:1 rigs check tire pressure outside. "Cold PSI"

This happend to me so I drilled holes in the tread. It vents and will also drain any water that gets into the tire.

Mike
mikesativa is offline   Reply With Quote