Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: getitng back into R/C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default getitng back into R/C

i was into the R/C deal for about 10 or so years but have been out of it for about 2 years now. im just sorta starting to dig stuff out and charge up some packs and run again. i have quite a few R/C's to name a few 2x b1's, t1, t2, t4, tc3, clod, "pede-maxx", mini-t... i want to get into the crawling side if it now and im thinking about seling some of the stuff i have now and picking up a AX-10 kit. it seems that is the base for most of the build ups now or is there a better starting point out there? i dont mind building something i jsut want to restart with something thats going to be around for a while with alot of parts out and wont be out dated in 6 months.

My maxx is pretty capible for what it is but i want something that is easer to find crawler parts and tires for. the clod is ok and seems to still be pretty popular but i just kinda want something newer. what do yal think?
smallblock500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #2

truthfully i would keep the clod and the pede maxx and just use those parts and built your chassis i see alot of guys useing those parts on there rigs there still a lot of partsout there for those but on the other had the axial ax10 is a good rig too and alot of upgrade parts for that just use your best jugment for your crawler rig
newcrawler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

ill probley keep the maxx and make it a basher as im sure its worth about $15 to anyone else. im listing my clod axles on e-bay if they sell it will be money put torward a ax-10 if they dont sell i guess im building a clod baised crawler lol. ive been wanting to build a shift truck ever since the txt-1 came out this might finley be my chance.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

get the axial ARTR. (It's the orange kit in case you didn't know) it comes with better parts than the green kit and most importnantly tons better tires than the green kit.
I got mine in july. heres a link in case you want to check it out and the transformations it has went thru
axial artr noob build
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

so is the ax-10 the best starting crawler or is there a better choice out there? i kinda like the high lift also but its kinda pricey and im not looking to spend alot of money right out of the gate. i understand its not a cheep hobby but im trying to be as cheep as i can. if i can be cheep. if i do go with a ax-10 what is the diff in the ARTR vs the kit version? i know the RTR comes with plastic links and stuff does the ARTR come is plactic too or is it alum stuff?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock500 View Post
so is the ax-10 the best starting crawler or is there a better choice out there? i kinda like the high lift also but its kinda pricey and im not looking to spend alot of money right out of the gate. i understand its not a cheep hobby but im trying to be as cheep as i can. if i can be cheep. if i do go with a ax-10 what is the diff in the ARTR vs the kit version? i know the RTR comes with plastic links and stuff does the ARTR come is plactic too or is it alum stuff?

The ARTR comes with lots of upgrades over the kit as well as the RTR. It has aluminum links, rear straight axles and lockouts so those rear turnbuckles don't break all the time, and several other things like slightly better tires and a much better body. I've built two of the regular kits so far and upgraded both, but I'd still like to get an ARTR if I ever do another AX10. Right now either way you go, the AX10 is about the best you can get as far as a shafty goes. There are piles upon piles of upgrade parts as well as spare parts easily available for it, and the sky is the limit. Do some reading through the posts in the AX10 section to see what everyone has done to theirs and make your decisions accordingly though.

If you want the best comp wise though, you might wanna get away from the shafties and check out the Berg section even though these shafties are still comp winners in some places.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

ok so it looks like ill be looking for a AX-10 soon! not to dought any one here but why not the wheelie king or the tlt-1 or high lift or somehting else like that? is there just not the same aftermarket for those or not set up right or what?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock500 View Post
ok so it looks like ill be looking for a AX-10 soon! not to dought any one here but why not the wheelie king or the tlt-1 or high lift or somehting else like that? is there just not the same aftermarket for those or not set up right or what?
They all pretty much need modifications to get them to crawl as good as the AX10. If I were building a scale truck I might look at something like the High Lift, but other than that it's just easier to get crawling with an AX10, and from what I've seen there are tons more parts and upgrades out there for the AX10 than any other as of right now.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote