Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: BB's vs Lead weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default BB's vs Lead weights

What is everyones opinion on putting bb's in the tire/rim vs putting the stick on lead weights around a rim?
I am leaning to the idea of the bb's. I like the fact that the weight is actually on the lowest portion of the tire, where with the weight on the rim the side wall actually absorbs some of the weight.
Plus the slightly, maybe not even enough to mention, lower cg.
gtbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well if you use your crawler for strickly crawling is one thing. but if you are like me and like to put in a 27t motor on occasion for a little more speed the bb's are not good for me. they tend to make the truck a little jerky from them flying around in the tires. So of course I use lead weights. I just dont see a big enough difference in the two to give a real good opinion. I think its preference. I just think the lead stick on weights are so much easier to deal with.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i used bb's in my tires at first, and recently switched to lead weights and really can't tell much of a difference. the only reason i went with the lead weights was it was easier to deal with if i needed to change out the foam/tires/etc. and it was a little easier to gauge how much weight i put on each wheel.
crawling hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

How much weight do people usually run in their wheels/tires?
gtbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It depends. There's no standard absolute quantity. I've heard of guys running 10oz or more in their front wheels. I'm running 5.5oz in the front wheels and 3 oz in the rear. It's worked OK for me so far.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

stick on weights on the rim in theory will also get your tyre to bag a little more.
sierrajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would have to say I prefer the lead weight. Ive tried both and as far as climbing steep vertical terrain the lead is just better. The only time the bbs are at the bottom is when you are sitting level. As you start to climb they roll to the back of the tire. Seems like they try and work against you and pull you back down. They are pretty erratic with any type of wheel speed also. With the lead the truck seems more consistent and sure footed. That being said I have seen people do some pretty crazy lines with bb tires.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #8

i tried both lead weights an the bb's. with the metal bb's 10oz ifront and 4oz back was a good start. with the metal bb's no air holes in the rim or foam just air made the tires bouncy like ballons but worked ok. then i tried the plastic soft air bb's witch i filled the fronts 3/4 full and the back with 1/2 full also with so much bb's you can make air holes to get rid of the bounce.this worked alot better. then i tried the lead weights on the rims with foams and all i can say is wow worked the best for me.
hope this helps they all work but i'm sticking with the lead:-P
toiboi808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I prefer to use lead weights so I can run foams as well. It's much easier to set up than getting some tubing around the rim.
mikesativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I tried both as well. Mine were the plastic bb's though. It didn't give me any sidewall support. I later changed to the stick on weights and foams and the tires are so much more prodictable now. The added benifet of the the sidewall support is enough reason alone to switch. Don't know of many people running the bb's and liking them enough to stick with them.

Jason
JaynDrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

the problem with bb's are that they are moving weight. On a crawler you want everything constant and predictable.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I use lead weights or heavy wheels, but I like to keep my driveline as light as possible. Cuts down on parts breakage.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Meyhem's Double Phattys are BB inspired. There are lots of people who run them and say just how awesome they are. I think its just preference and what style you get used to, BBs or lead.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawling hippie View Post
i used bb's in my tires at first, and recently switched to lead weights and really can't tell much of a difference. the only reason i went with the lead weights was it was easier to deal with if i needed to change out the foam/tires/etc. and it was a little easier to gauge how much weight i put on each wheel.
Yeah, That's pretty much my story, too --- I hated trying to contain all the bb's when I needed to open up the tire. And, I got sick of hearing them rattle around, too. I can't realy say I see any performance difference, either.
Heavy Metal Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

If you go with BB's don't get them wet! I ran my crawler through a creek and after the day let it sit for a month or so and when I came back to it I had big lumps of rusted BB's in my tires. It was a mess! BB's are only copper coated with a steel center. Just a tip!!
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I use lead weights or heavy wheels, but I like to keep my driveline as light as possible. Cuts down on parts breakage.
Are you saying that 10oz on a 33 oz truck is too much?
macruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

i vote for lead weights

bb's can shift ur weight in off camber situations unpredictably.
and that is definatly a bad thing
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #18

i've got 13oz in the front with 4oz in the rear with sticky weights. bb's sound crappy and perform crappy in my opinion.
wyocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 AM   #19
RCC Addict

i have always ran 1/4 once lead sticky ones. 6-8 onces per front is good to start with. i run 3 in each rear, but some run none. you just have to run tests. weights better than bb's in my opinion.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote