Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

View Poll Results: After reading my post,what is the best crawler for me?
Axial AX10 Scorpion Kit 32 49.23%
Axial AX10 Scorpion RTR 7 10.77%
Duratrax Cliff Climber 1 1.54%
Losi Rock Crawler 9 13.85%
Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser 9 13.85%
Other (Please specify) 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: So Many Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

Default So Many Choices

I was into R/Cing back in the 80s as a kid. Last year (at the age of 30) I got back into R/Cing with a Traxxas Jato 3.3. Then I went on to buy a Losi Mini Baja, Duratrax Vendetta ST, and finally a Losi Micro Baja. I am now considering getting into crawling, but I'm totally lost.
I don't know what scale I want nor do I know if I want a "scaler" or a "true crawler". I don't plan on competing.

I want something that can be run indoors and outdoors so I was looking at the 1/18th scale - the Losi or the Duratrax. Besides the PTI trucks, are there other 1/18th scale options?

But then the Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser caught my eye and that has me considering 1/10th scale. Would the 1/10th be viable for indoors and outdoors? I do have a big, open basement. That thing just looks cool and has a frame like a real truck. But it seems like the aftermarket for that is small right now. Even further searching led me to check into the Axials. I've always liked the looks of the kit, but wasn't intersted in crawling before. The RTR seems like a good fit for me. Everything is included and I can upgrade components as I go and it can also be used as a basher if I get bored with crawling. The only thing that concerned me is that I read that the screws are self-tapping on the RTR, but not the kit. Does this mean the plastic will be "ruined" if I try to upgrade to parts/hardware from the kit? The problem is I'd like to build an R/C since I haven't had a chance to do that since my Hornet back in the day. What "extra parts" does the kit include that the RTR does not? I've read about these parts, but can't find any info.

I would also consider using this crawler in the snow.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Losi (I don't think I'd consider the Duratrax because Duratrax doesn't get aftermarket support and because I'm not a big fan of the looks of the chassis), or the Tamiya Land Cruiser or the Axial (kit or RTR). What do you guys think?

So please give me as much feedback as possible (and vote). I know this question gets asked all the time, and I am doing searching and reading, but advice specifically for me always helps. I appreciate it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I would go with a ARTR scorpion, Its got all the upgrades and decent tires, all you need is running gear. I would go with castle creation Sidewinder, Mamba max esc's , Or combos like Tekin FX-R w/ 55T my personal choice , others are Novak rooster crawler w/55T. Servo Tower-pro 946'r, hitec 645mg, 5645mg, hitec 5990tg, Hobbieco cs-170, JR9100T.
Holmes hobbies and The crawler store have axles battery's for the axial.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

I'd go with the Axial.

As far as electronics go,I prefer the Castle stuff. Castle Sidewinder/CC BEC/35 or 45t handwound/3 cell lipo and a good 200+ oz. servo is a hard combo to beat.

The Tekin ESC's are also very popular. I've never run one,but they seem to work good for allot of guys.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default muy opinion.

I chose the Scorpion kit too. If you like putting things together the Kit is great. If you don't, then go RTR. As difficulty of assembly goes, anyone who knows what allen wrenches are for, and the difference between Metric and standard should be able to assemble it. The instructions are amazing.

As to your desires. Out of the box, the scorpion will crawl over most things you will find in your basement. I think the 1/10 scale will give you more variaty and challenges to keep you interested in this sport. I feel the 1/18 can be fun, but could really be dull quickly due to finding new challenges. That is just my opinion. I have not tried one so it is not an educated opinion. Similarly, (in my area) the Super class rock crawlers are falling to the wayside due to not having big enough challenges. You can see how scale can be important.

You can also read this website. It will break down the 3 kits Axial offers.

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/kit-artr-rtr.html

Now, you say you don't want to compete. Sorry to say... but that won't happen. You will compete everytime you drive a rock crawler. Unlike race cars, you don't need someone to run against. You compete against yourself and the terrain. Trust me... your going to be the greatest challenge, the terrain is predictable. So... that being said. I predict you will do upgrades. We all have. I know I told my wife that I only needed a 2 channel radio because I wasn't ever going to compete. Yea... that lasted 2 months. My new radio is on order and should be here tomorrow.

Extra goodies. Spend the money up front. Get a speed controller that can handle 11 Volts, (Mamba max, and Tekin can off the top of my head). Get a radio that has 3 channels. (a bunch of radios out there that can do this. Some old school FM's and some new 2.4 Ghz radios.) I would definitely go minimum of a Hytec MG645 servo for steering, minimum. Don't worry about accessories. Right now the Scorpion is running tied with Harley Davidson for accessories.

As to crawling in snow, I don't know if I would try it. This will be my first winter with my crawler, and I am still not sure how to water proof everything. As of right now I would caution you on playing in the snow. These vehicles have a very open layout and would give alot of great places to pack snow. Just my opinion again. However, if someone manages to come out with a snow plow for these, I am all over that.

3 months ago I was asking myself the same questions you are asking. Here is why I bought the Scorpion Pro Kit.

My last car was a 1987 RC-10. I built it as a kid. (I am 35 right now). I still have that car and it still runs like a champ. I believe that the Scorpion is of the same class and quality of car as my old RC-10. It will run forever. To be honest, I haven't broken anything yet, and it has been a hard 2 months with my truck.

The Land Cruiser is very cool. If I wanted to get into doing scale, I think that would be my choice.

One more thought. The betty body, while very cool, sucks for crawling. You will have more fender issues than you can possible imagine. In that case I feel the ARTR kit is better.

Last edited by WyldWeazel; 09-28-2008 at 03:17 PM.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I agree go with axial
tltman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Between my scale rig, 2.2 and super my scaler gets the most use. I run it in the snow in the winter and many guys in our club have completely waterproofed their rigs (and can run underwater!) My current scaler is a leaf sprung rig and it is a blast to drive. You may want to post up in the regional boards and find out if there is a comp or GTG in your area. I'm sure people would let you wheel a rig or two so you could find out what you like. You can almost always find a challenge for a scale rig.
Don't forget the Tamiya High-lifts and Hi-lux and the soon to be released Tundra. All of the last rigs mentioned come as leafers but can easily 4-linked. I really have no experience with the Axials (am I the only one?) but from waht I can tell the RTR with its plastic/rubber like links might get frustrating. I think I'd recommend the Axial ARTR or the Axial kit. If you want to go scale you can always switch the stock chassis for an x-trail chassis.
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ax-10 Scorpion all the way. There's not anything on there that you cant find an upgrade for. Find parts anywhere and they're very tough. Just make sure you choose you electronics wisely. They are just as important a decision as which crawler to get.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley05 View Post
Ax-10 Scorpion all the way. There's not anything on there that you cant find an upgrade for. Find parts anywhere and they're very tough. Just make sure you choose you electronics wisely. They are just as important a decision as which crawler to get.

i second what is said above.........alot of pa guys at www.gsrcrc.com we are having a comp at green Lane park on oct 5th 9 am. come check us out, might help you make a choice
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzz23 View Post
i second what is said above.........alot of pa guys at www.gsrcrc.com we are having a comp at green Lane park on oct 5th 9 am. come check us out, might help you make a choice
Green Lane! That's not far from my house. I'll have to try to get out there on the 5th. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not accustomed to having cool stuff in my area so I assumed rock crawling would not be big around here.

Will you be there marzzz23? What kind of crawler do you have?

I see a lot of votes, but not many comments! I know that's typical, but a vote without a comment really doesn't mean much.

Everybody keeps saying Axial, but how would it be as an indoors crawler? I'd put up household items in the basement - books, boxes, etc.

I saw the RTR at the hobby shop today, but it was expensive. It looked cool, but I'd have to upgrade to aluminum links if only for looks alone! I am leaning more and more towards Axial - not sure which version. But the Losi MRC and the Tamiya still have my attention. I saw the Duratrax today as well and I wasn't all that impressed. The kid also said that they haven't been getting the best feedback on the Duratrax's ability, but that's just hearsay!

This thread can be merged with my other thread "Good Indoor Outdoor Crawler". I posted this one and waited for two days and still didn't see it appear so I started another new thread thinking this one didn't submit. Sorry about that!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Other: Axial ARTR.
DLE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #11

x2 on the axial ARTR. cant go wrong there.
wyocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

x10 on the artr, great product for the money. on the electronics i would go with CC sidewinder and bec, and prolly a holmes hobby motor.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
x10 on the artr, great product for the money. on the electronics i would go with CC sidewinder and bec, and prolly a holmes hobby motor.
I went with the Novak Crawler Rooster and 55t motor combo. It is the best bang for the buck IMHO. It has a strong BEC built in already and it can run Lipo.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLE88 View Post
I went with the Novak Crawler Rooster and 55t motor combo. It is the best bang for the buck IMHO. It has a strong BEC built in already and it can run Lipo.
yeah i didnt like the fact that i ended up needing an external bec but oh well, the cc bec was cheap and works great. either way dont skimp on the esc.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Go with the ARTR because of the sintered lockers and the Pro-Line Hammers. The 8-hole beadlocks also have more beef around the hex than the Rockstar.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
yeah i didnt like the fact that i ended up needing an external bec but oh well, the cc bec was cheap and works great. either way dont skimp on the esc.
True, but the sidewinder can run brushless or brushed. I decided on brushed. I also think it's a bit more smooth. Either way, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #17

i would also go with the artr axial.. comes with straight rear axle, aluminum links, 30deg bent rear links and a better set of proline hammers.
the rtr electronics is not the greatest and you'll probaly want to up grade so why pay for it?
with the artr, fit it with your likeing of electronics and your good to go:-P
toiboi808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #18

Keep the feedback coming guys!

I've pretty much ruled out the Tamiya. It looks awesome and I like that it has a scale chassis, but it's the most expensive, most complex, and seems to have little aftermarket support so far.

That leaves me with the Axial Kit, RTR, ARTR, or the Losi MRC.

Do any of you own an Axial and Losi MRC? Please compare them!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

well, above you said that you saw rtr at the hobby shop but it was expensive. If you're going to get into crawling you need to get that money issue out of your head for starters. If you think that is expensive you definitly dont want to by a kit or artr, because on top of the cost of the crawlers you'll still have almost 300 more just in esc, motor, radio, receiver, batterys. GOOD LUCK!
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Don't buy the Axial RTR, buy the ARTR

Then invest in a Novak Rooster Crawler speed control and a Novak 55T motor, that would be the best way to go in my opinion, you would have a pretty sweet crawler.

The Losi MRC is awesome for the price, but from the sound of it you have fellow crawlers in your area and you may want a 2.2 so you can play with them without getting ran over

Last edited by 701 Technique; 10-01-2008 at 06:08 PM.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote