Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

View Poll Results: Which kit for indoor and outdoor use?
Axial AX10 Scorpion RTR 4 6.67%
Axial AX10 Scorpion ARTR 15 25.00%
Axial AX10 Scorpion KIT 4 6.67%
Losi Mini Crawler 28 46.67%
Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser 2 3.33%
Other (Please Specify) 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Good Indoor Outdoor Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Good Indoor Outdoor Crawler?

I was into R/Cs as a kid in the 80s. I still have my Hornet and my dad's two Frogs, but I haven't touched them since. Last year, at age 30, I got back into R/Cing by buying a Traxxas Jato 3.3. Then I went on to buy a Losi Mini Baja, a Duratrax Vendetta ST, and a Losi Micro-T. Now I'm thinking about getting into rock crawling.

The Losi Mini Crawler and the Duratrax Cliff Climber were probably the first to get me really interested since I use my R/Cs indoors mainly. But then I saw the Tamiya CR-01 Toyota Land Cruiser and thought it was awesome since it's a realistic ladder frame. But that seems to be lacking a big aftermarket. Axials have always had my attention since they just look cool. And it seems nearly ever R/C company makes parts for them! The Tamiya High-Lifts are cool, but they're very expensive

I want to use my crawler indoors and outdoors. I have a large open basement. Would a 1/10th scale like the CR-01 or the Axial AX10 be too big?

I can pretty much rule the Duratrax out because it looks very toy-like and the aftermarket support will surely be weak.

I am also interested in running my crawler in the snow. I'm sure it would be awesome to drive these things on an old snowfall that has the thick icy coating on it.

So I guess the choice is between the CR-01 and the Axial as long as 1/10ths will be OK for indoor use. I do like building kits and haven't had a chance to do that this second time around in the hobby. So what do you guys think? Axial, Tamiya, Losi, or other? If you vote Axial which version - RTR, ARTR, or KIT and why? The RTR seems perfect for me because I can upgrade as I go, but I unfortunately can't build it. I have noticed that it used different hardware. Are the plastic parts "ruined" because of the hardware or prevent upgrade to the KIT or RTR parts?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the new duratrax moa. clod stall clod stall can be your friend.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I voted for the AX10 RTR. It has everything you need being new to crawling. And also this RTR will let you modify the AX10 according to your liking as you grow with the truck.

But by all meens enjoy rock crawling with whatever choice you make.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

+1 for the Axial RTR

It's upgradeablity is great as if you don't like it you can convert it to what you want. Scale rig, big rig, smaller rig, rock racer, mudder ect.

Knowing that you will probably get hooked on it, it is comp capable.

Better in snow then all of your other choices.

RTR ARTR or kit? thats a personal preference. How much you want to spend personalize ect.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

if you already have raido gear thet you can put on it i would say go with the ARTR. i dont have one yet but ive been reading and asking alot about them. the ARTR seems to be the best bang for the buck as it comes with most of the good alum stuff in the box. the RTR has plastic links that flex a little but it does come with a raido and stuff likt that all you need is a batt and a charger and your off to the rocks. the AX-10 seems to be where its at now like you said there is alot of parts out for it. if you want to build one the kit is a pretty good choise as it comes with the same alum stuff that the ARTR does but its green vs the orange on the ARTR but the ARTR comes with a better body and better tires. your LHS might have diffrent prices but im going by the tower hobbies pricing here the ARTR is $10 cheeper than the kit version is so im looking at picking up the ARTR version as soon as i can get some of my other R/C stuff sold to make room in the hobby room and in my pocket for a new "toy".
smallblock500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #6

I will not be competing so that shouldn't even factor into the equation.

I see most of you have stated to go with the Axial. Why the Axial over the CR-01? The CR-01 was real cheap on Tower for a day or so, but now it's expensive again! Can the CR-01 be converted away from crawling if I don't like it? I'm mainly talking about the gearing/speed.

And is a 1/10th crawler fine for indoors?

I do have a couple old radios and gear lying around. If I were to get the KIT or ARTR I would just have to get a speed control and a motor.

I like the RTR for the fact that it can also be used as a basher. It's not limited to very slow speeds. But I guess I could do the same on the KIT or ARTR with the motor and gearing. Which Axial has the "best" parts?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-27-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I had the same concerns as you when I started getting into this back in the spring, but you've got an advantage in that you already have several fast cars in your collection. I ended up going with a Wheely King because I wasn't sure I wanted a true all out crawler and ended up modding the heck out of it to make a half decent crawler. I just recently picked up the Losi MRC and it's a great choice for indoor crawling. I've been having a ton of fun with it in my basement and you can set up courses out of just about anything. Just the other night I used a bunch of text books and binders and made a fun little course.

As far as the Axials go, I'm going to pick one up in the near future as they just have so many possibilities. As someone else mentioned, they can be all out comp crawlers, and they make awesome scalers as well.

So after rambling on and on, I'd have to say I like my MRC best for indoor stuff, plus it's pretty good to go right out of the box.

Jake
Patella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #8

This thread can be merged with my other thread "So Many Choices". I posted that one and waited for two days and still didn't see it appear so I started this new thread thinking that one didn't submit. Sorry about that!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I voted for the Losi Mini Crawler. I have an RTR (in which the only thing that still looks RTR about it is parts of the body!). I find it to be too large for indoor crawling. It has a poor turning radius for indoor use. The smaller Losi 1:18 crawler is better for combo indoor/outdoor use. It'll certainly be more fun to play with during the winter.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I would go with the Losi MRC if you plan on doing some indoor crawling. I got to run one yesterday it was mostly stock with the only changes being a 2S LiPo battery and a TLT body. It works really good outside in this configuration and with the changes most have posted up I can only imagine it getting better! The MRC to be will really give you a true indoor/outdoor crawler.

The DTX Cliff Climber looks good but is not much smaller then a 2.2 Rig. DTX seems to have some pretty good hop ups for it already.

I used to play with my 2.2's in the house and it gets really boring really fast! ;)
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

No question the Mini is perfect for indoor use a much more extensive and complex course can be built more efficiently in the space available with less materials. As the after market develops the preformance of the Mini will equal it's larger brothers.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #12

for sure the losi mini. i had a chance to play around with one the other day and was very impressed on the outdoor performance. the size would seem to be perfect for indoor use too.
wyocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Not planning to comp. Then the losi MRC will widdle your waddle without weening your wallet.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hermit View Post
Not planning to comp. Then the losi MRC will widdle your waddle without weening your wallet.
It's basically the same price as an Axial RTR...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I voted for the ARTR Axial. That is what I used to get into the crawling scene.
DLE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #16

Keep the feedback coming guys!

I've pretty much ruled out the Tamiya. It looks awesome and I like that it has a scale chassis, but it's the most expensive, most complex, and seems to have little aftermarket support so far.

That leaves me with the Axial Kit, RTR, ARTR, or the Losi MRC.

Do any of you own an Axial and Losi MRC? Please compare them!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #17

I've decided to go with the Losi MRC. It was the first one that really piqued my interest. I like it because I can use it indoors and still have fun. Plus, it's much cheaper than going with the Axial ARTR so I don't have to spend a lot to see if crawling is for me. I just hope the Losi gets a lot of aftermarket support like the Axial which I'm guessing it will. After I found the Losi MRC for sale online last night I knew I had to have it - can't beat $209.99 for the Losi! Something tells me I'll also be getting an Axial and/or a scaler in the future if I like crawling as much as I think I will!