Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: getting first crawler and have a question about shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #1

Default getting first crawler and have a question about shocks

First off just wanted to say hey I am getting my first crawler in the mail this week after trading my usvta car for a flaming goat chassis running locked tlt axles and a couple other extras.

My question right now until I learn more is the truck is outfitted with tamiya touring car shocks and unknown springs. As far as crawling goes do I want some very soft springs and lightweight oil in there with a soft piston or do I not want to go that far. I was thinking about running a 1.1mm 3hole piston, with 30wt oil and 14lb springs.
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

first of all the tamiya touring car shocks are way too small. second, you should use very soft springs in the front and soft springs in the rear. this helps with torque twist and climbing steep hills.(correct me if i'm wrong.) you should also run it with no oil. oil is if you want a droop setup.
king_crawl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #3

This is from the build thread of the same rig I am getting looks like the tc shocks work fine could possibly use something longer but not much

The Flaming Goat Build Up
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

After surfing a little bit more and doing more reading I have a couple more questions....

How do I know if I need a BEC or not

What is a dig, how does it work, and how do you install it.

Lastly do axial wheels work on tlt axles or is there an adapter?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_crawl22 View Post
first of all the tamiya touring car shocks are way too small. second, you should use very soft springs in the front and soft springs in the rear. this helps with torque twist and climbing steep hills.(correct me if i'm wrong.) you should also run it with no oil. oil is if you want a droop setup.
Super soft spring cause torque twist sometimes. The way his crawler is coming it is fine with the shocks on it. And yes we do use oil with springs not just on droop set ups. I think someone has misinformed you on shock set up
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
After surfing a little bit more and doing more reading I have a couple more questions....

How do I know if I need a BEC or not

What is a dig, how does it work, and how do you install it.

Lastly do axial wheels work on tlt axles or is there an adapter?
If you are going to run a high torque servo grab a BEC, Castle makes one as does Novak. The BEC will allow you to run more voltage to the servo stright from the battery and not take away power from the ESC and receiver. Dig will allow you to make tighter turn's by locking the rear axle via a Dig on the tranny, a DUD system, and some use drive shaft disconnects. Basically you are able to go from 4WD to 2WD on the fly but locking a axle or motor. VF makes a dig as well as others do to. We have some killer vendors on here. If you use the search feature in each forum you can find answers to all you questions
Old 10-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #7

Cool thanks for the answers I may switch to some longer shocks later on I was just checking out some on rc4wd.

Seeing as the truck has a pede trans in it I assume the diff in the trans acts like the diff in any other rc car and will throw all the power to the axle without grip in this case. Would I be better off locking the center diff or is it better for those wheels to spin until they grip to provide some momentum
Old 10-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Who's your Daddy-0!

If you are crawling they need to be locked! Having a unlocked diff will get you nowhere fast! Lock it
Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
If you are crawling they need to be locked! Having a unlocked diff will get you nowhere fast! Lock it

+1!!! You'll get stuck on the first rock you encounter
SeaBassHWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #10

Ok just wondering if there may be a benefit to running the center diff not locked to divide torque up a little.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #11

Got the truck today so far so good need some wheel spacers or something so I can get more steering out of it. (Other suggestions welcome for getting more steering out of this thing before the tire runs into the link....I can even run 2.2's)

Turns out the tamiya tc shocks aren't all that great the ground clearance sucks lol. It would be perfect if I wanted a scaler but seeing as the chassis plates are flames that seems pointless. I figure some AE or losi front buggy shocks should work