Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: want to get into crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Default want to get into crawlers

I really want to get a crawler. i'm willing to sell my other trucks to get one. i could probably get around $350 from them. whats a good kit that could get me in the right place? i was really eyeing the axial AX10 kit. how long do these normally take to build? how much does all the electrical stuff cost, and what should i get? it will be my first electric rc. Thanks
corvette6698512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #2

i picked up the ax10 like 2.5 months ago. I like it alot tons of things you can do to them to make it your own. for all the stuff i got with it (motor, speed control, 2 servos, 4ws, battery pack) i paid about 450 but i took the radio and reciever from another rc i had. it gets expensive but its fun!
ROCK-N-ROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

Well it all depends on you really and what direction you want to go.

Do you want a shafted truck or a motor on axle(MOA) setup?

Will this be for bashing/GTG's or will you see comp action?

and alot of other questions.

The MOA setups generally take alot less work to setup properly, to get to perform very well. The shafties require more parts,tend to break more often and take a little more thinking to get setup.

But if your not going to be hitting your local comp scene, then setup really doesn't matter at this point. Cause you can slowly work your way towards performance. Then hit a comp and compare your trucks performance against others.

I run a Berg as I hit alot of comps, but my son as a RTR Axial with minor upgrades and he does just fine. However, there is noway his truck can hang with mine unless he does alot more upgrades and spends more money than what I have in mine. But he has fun with it and that is what it all boils down to though.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

basically, i want a relatively cheap crawler(need to keep my other hobby going too) as long as it drives, and crawls up rocks, i'm happy. i probably wont be doing any comps for a wile, but i might be more interested after. i also dont need it to drive right away, i'll have some extra $$$ to put towards it as time goes on. i just need a good starter crawler that will hopefully take some abuse, and not cost a fortune to fix. thanks for the replys!

Last edited by corvette6698512; 10-08-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

if i were you i would buy a axial ax10 rtr( i beleive they sell for about $300). it will have all the electrinoics all you have to have is batterys and a charger. if you like to mobify things i would recommed the hpi wheely king. its only $200 rtr and it would not take much to turn it into a kool crawler, maby another $60 to $100 depending on what you do your self( look in the tech section on the main page there is a wheely king build). duratrek has a crawler out as well its about $200 but i've heard you have to do some work to it just to make it into a desent crawler. its all up to you. if you wanted you could build a crawler from scratch as i did with my super maxx crawler. the options have just about no limit. but if you are just looking for something to pull out of the box and put a battery in it and crawl, go for the axial ax10 just because it has the most bang for the buck( true beadlock rims, rock lizard tires, soild axles, decent electronics, plus all the after market support) good luck and let us know what you deside.

daleo
daleo8803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yup, the ax10 would be your best bet. I started with an RTR but It has come a long way. In the long run, you might want to go with the artr because it has parts on it that you will need to change out on the rtr. If you want something to go off of and get a start then the RTR for sure. If you get the RTR its a good way to go for learning, just know it may cost a bit more if you want it to perform well.

The RTR is a capeable crawler stock but it can do so much more, with the right components.
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I see a lot of guys singing praises for the new losi. It comes with everything you need in the box for like 250 I believe. Some local guys I talked to said it even hangs pretty well with the 2.2 class.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If I had to do it again I would buy a used ax10 from ebay with alot of the aluminum hop-up parts, batterys, maybe some radio gear and charger. I have seen them go for $350 with around $1000 in parts. I am actually thinking about selling my ax10 rtr with custom batterys and charger so I can upgrade to MOAs with lipo. I will probably take a huge loss so my advise is buy what you want up front because the slow upgrade process leaves you with stock left overs that no one really wants anyways.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

i'm thinking about the ax10 kit. i read up on the rtr, and its made of a lot of plastic stuff. i do want something that will last. i will look into the losi and other crawlers too. thanks for the advice.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #10

Good thread!

I am in the same boat as you wanting ot get into crawling but only wanting to buy stuff once. I was planning on going with an AX-10 but it seems the Berg or other MOA trucks might be a better way to go?

On the other hand, I LOVE to tinker and I can fab just about anything!

Chris
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm399 View Post
Good thread!
On the other hand, I LOVE to tinker and I can fab just about anything!
Chris
thats exactly me. i do like to tinker.

i ordered the axial ax10 kit today, and the stage 2 kit with it. only think i didnt get is a servo, ESC, and batteries. will the radio, and receiver from a nitro model work on this thing? i have a 3 chanel radio with a 4-channel receiver from my other truck i could use.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

WEll guys, like i said I have the Ax10 I love it 100% It started as an RTR but is no longer, it does come with some plastic but this is extrealmy forgiving, and you can change it all out, which I have done. Giving allot of time to be and work on your truck. just my 2 cents
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette6698512 View Post
will the radio, and receiver from a nitro model work on this thing? i have a 3 chanel radio with a 4-channel receiver from my other truck i could use.

Yes, radio's and rx's are not model type specific.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #14

just got my axial in yesterday. almost done building it. just have some small stuff like tires, and electrical.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #15

so how do i use my charger to charge some 3200mAh with deans plugs? the charger has those plastic white plug ins. can i just splice the wires with deans plugs?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'd probably look around for a good used rig for that kind of cash lots of shafties for sale these days. That will minimize your buy in cost and in a year you may have the budget for a MOA build which is the way to go if you intend to compete IMO.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #17

i already bought a ax10. its all put together. all i need now is a ESC, and servo.this is my first electric rc, so i dont know much about this stuff. i bought a battery, but it has a deans plug on it and i dont know how to charge it. i have some plugs i can put on the charger though.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Get rid of thoes tamiya style plugs and go with the deans. Its a smart choice.
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #19

i got a bunch of deans plugs when i bought the kit. i can always get some more at the hobby shop too.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #20

if you are going to comp with it i would not go with the rtr model, but you can't go wrong with the ax 10 kit.
banchee is offline   Reply With Quote