Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Motor Wire length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Motor Wire length

i just bought a Novak 55 and it didnt come with wires so i have to make my own, only thing is, i dont know how long to make them and i read somewhere that they have to be a certain length or you could damage either your motor, battery or ESC. neither of which do i want to fry.

also, the battery i have is a Elite 4500 MAh NiMh battery with a deans. i have a battery charger but im not sure if it will work with the battery. for a battery of that size will a normal 30 minute charger work if i just cut and splice on a deans connector for it to match the battery?

thanks guys.
Dave
LittleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

is it a peak charger
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #3

wire length isnt a big deal, generally the shorter the better. my motor wires run the length of my chassis and i have no issues. as far as your charger goes, as long as its made to charge nimh batteries and is rated to the number of cells your battery pack has, you should be ok. what kind of charger do you have? if its the one that came with the wk i would strongly recomend buying a new one and not use that one. go to your local hobby shop, if you have one, they too should be able to answer these questions for you and help you determine which charger will suit your needs best. i hope this helps and happy wheeling!
getbent2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default charger

i stronglt recamend a peak charger
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
i just bought a Novak 55 and it didnt come with wires so i have to make my own, only thing is, i dont know how long to make them and i read somewhere that they have to be a certain length or you could damage either your motor, battery or ESC. neither of which do i want to fry.

also, the battery i have is a Elite 4500 MAh NiMh battery with a deans. i have a battery charger but im not sure if it will work with the battery. for a battery of that size will a normal 30 minute charger work if i just cut and splice on a deans connector for it to match the battery?

thanks guys.
Dave
The amp draw from a 55t is so low,you could run wires 3 miles long with no issue......Just kidding,don't try it. You shouldn't have any worries with the length of the motor wires.

As far as a charger,from personal experience.....you get what you pay for. Cheaper chargers will work on your pack,but you won't get the FULL potential out of your cells. A top of the line charger and average battery will outperform and typically net longer and more cycle times over a cheap charger and top of the line battery. IMHO,one of the best chargers on the market is the Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC Charger. If your going to do much with RC cars or anything that uses batteries,a good charger will actually save you money. Your batteries will thank you by lasting longer. I charge everything from my AAA's in my welding helmet,AA's in the TV remotes to my 3 cell lipos for the crawlers with mine.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

cool, cool. what kind of wires should i use for my motor? 12 guage? and This is my charger. ive owned it for a while from when i charge my tmaxx's electric start battery pack.

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Produc...HCAHCAP0125-GP
Old 10-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #7

you may have some trouble getting your battery to its capacity because thats a timed charger and not a peak so it wont detect when the battery is full you have to guess. how many amps does it charge at?
ROCK-N-ROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The charger from the link above says "for Nicd only".
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #9

i wouldnt use it. its not worth ruining a good battery. get a good charger like what raptorman posted. even if you eventually get out of rc, a good charger can easily be resold.
getbent2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent2night View Post
even if you eventually get out of rc, a good charger can easily be resold.

Or use it just to charge up rechargable batteries a guy uses around the house I've got trays that I bought and I can charge up anything from a AAA in a TV remote to a D size cell in a flashlight. IMO,a good charger is an investment.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Do not use that charger with that battery. Ever! NiCd and NiMh batteries require different charge profiles, mixing and matching can mean burning your house down. Don't risk it, just buy the hyperion charger raptorman suggested. It'll be the last charger you'll need for years.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
MWRCA'er

I'd go 14 gauge for wires. 12 is good but unnessisary as most escs come with 14 guage inputs and outputs. Your esc probably has bullet connectors, many people chop them off and solder directly (no extra added wire.) However removing connectors voids some warrantys.

So these are a good option especially if you can't solder.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJ21&P=ML

Yeah I agree with several points in this thread about the chargers. Buy a good peak charger.

This here is a excellent entry level charger if your on a budget.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA4&P=ML

However, if your looking for a do it all charger the Hyperion can't be beat. I have both and use them both for different reasons.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info guys. Mster, ill probably get that deal you found with the motor wires, not that i dont know how to solder, i just cant do it well. and i think im just gonna go all the way and buy the hyperion becuase i REALLY dont want to damage that battery.

Ill have to start a build thread soon.
Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The difference between NICAD and NIMH chargers is the cutoff voltage. Basically it's how much the battery is allowed to overcharge before it shuts off. NICADs allow more overcharge so a NICAD charger will damage a NIMH if the cutoff voltage isn't ajustable because of excessively overcvharging the battery.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I have never heard of having to have a certain length wire before. Usually you want the shortest length possible that way you have less resistance and less voltage drop. The wires on my TC3 are less than one inch and I have never had a problem. I also agree to invest in a good charger, you will learn to appreciate it and a lot of chargers have other features that come in handy as well.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

While yer at it buyin' the good charger, you oughtta get some 14AWG "spaghetti wire".
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I got this charger when I got into electric helis a while back. Now I use it to charge my NiMh for my crawler. And as stated above, I am going to use it to charge my AA batteries for some of my radios. Tired of buying them. It charges NiCd's, NiMh's, Lipo's, LiLo's, LiFe's, and Pb's. It's a little pricey but unless you need to charge larger LiPo's for the larger (.30 or 600) size helis you can charge just about everything. Items like these should be cross marketed more.

http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=241
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote