Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Custom link tubing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Custom link tubing?

I've been searching for a while but came up empty. But I know there has to be such a thing as tubing you can cut to length and then thread. Anyone have a source?

Thanks
section525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

mcmastercar.com or your local metal supplier. Depending on the studs used or rod ends, you will need different size tubing. The thicker the wall the better though.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I found some 3/16" with an ID of .118" on McMaster Carr. I guess tomorrow I'll have to research the bottom out of what size all-thread and what rod ends to use.

I have read the article in the Tech section and a few threads that came up in a search. But I think it's all going to boil down to matching up the tube choice with the rod choice.

I was thinking by this point in the crawler game come vendor would be on top of this with a nice little package setup. Hmmmmm...

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If your looking for stock length AX10 links, check out these guys, if not I'm sure they can make you something. - http://www.xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/store/index.php
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've looked around quite a bit and it looks to me like you need to buy round rod and drill it to make your own links. The problem is the tubing is typically around .035" wall thickness which is to thin to practically thread. Schedule 40 aluminum pipe has twice the wall thickness at .07 inches but starts at an OD of .41" so it's really too big. That's about all I could find becides solid rod. Just for reference you can't beat www.onlinmetals.com if you need a little metal stock. They don't have minimums so if you want a 2" long piece of 1/4" tubing they'll be happy to sell it to you.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
If your looking for stock length AX10 links, check out these guys, if not I'm sure they can make you something. - http://www.xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/store/index.php
I'm looking for an alternate method for lengthening the links instead of using the spacers and longer bolts. I re-drilled my stock chassis to use the 70mm post as uppers. But once I four link it, I don't really want to have a spacer at the bottom of each link. Unless I have to. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystRacing View Post
I've looked around quite a bit and it looks to me like you need to buy round rod and drill it to make your own links. The problem is the tubing is typically around .035" wall thickness which is to thin to practically thread. Schedule 40 aluminum pipe has twice the wall thickness at .07 inches but starts at an OD of .41" so it's really too big. That's about all I could find becides solid rod. Just for reference you can't beat www.onlinmetals.com if you need a little metal stock. They don't have minimums so if you want a 2" long piece of 1/4" tubing they'll be happy to sell it to you.
You're right. This tubing is difficult to find. Solid rod may be the way to go. I just don't have a mill to drill it out with, and I can't imagine being successful using my hand drill or drill press. Is that what people are doing though?

Optimally, I would like to find something with an ID just smaller than .09843" so I could tap for the stock M3 Axial rods. But I'd settle for the .1065 Stampede rods as well. But everything I've found in that range has an ID of .125". Too small.

I'll keep plugging along. Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

We use a 1/4" OD, 0.120 ID seamless walled tubing for all our aluminum links. Works perfect.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I use 1/4" aluminum rod that I purchase at Lowes or Home Depot. it comes in three foot lengths for about $4. You just have to cut it to length and drill and tap the ends. Simple and cheap!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You can buy delrin rod from smallparts.com, drill and tap it yourself. Another alternative is to go to your local Gander Mountain or another store that cut arrows and ask for the drops. Then you buy the inserts which are 8-32 thread. I have used arrow shafts on all my clods and they hold up very well, even after repeat jumps off a 5' high ramp....Hope this helps...........
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Tried out the solid rod! Worked pretty good.

How-To: AX10 Custom Length Links