Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tire Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #1

Default Tire Choices

Hey guys i'm new to the whole crawlin scene and lookin to upgrade the tires on my ax-10 rtr. Ive narrowed it down to the Losi Rock Claws or the Pro-line Hammers. Which set would you recommend and should i stay with star cut normal foam or go with the memory inserts. Thanks for your input
Jonny Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Going with either isn't going to be a bad choice. The losis have had a better side hilling ability in all the comps ive seen. I have ran 4 sets of tires on my comp rig including both the hammers and losi and losis still seem to be the best tire IMO. I would run a standard foam in the rear for less squat on climbs and either cut down standards or memory in the front for preloading over a breakover.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just saw that RPP hobby has a great price on the M2 Hammers with memory foam ($11.99 per set of 2).

I've only ran the Losi Claws, and really liked them. However, I've gotten my butt handed to me by guys running Hammers, so they've got to be pretty good.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Losi Claws, Proline Hammer and Badlands are your choices for comps etc.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Losi Claws, Proline Hammer and Badlands are your choices for comps etc.

I think you are forgeting a big one.....

COUGARS!
mockknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

You should look in the tire & wheel section if you want opinions... where this will probably be moved to

Tire/foam choice depends on a lot of things. No 1 setup is best in all situations so you need to test different setups to see what works with your driving style, rig and terrain.

Having said that, I generally find Panther Cougars to be the best tire for technical driving and the Losi Claws to be the best for straight climbs.

Another tire to consider, that I think is a good all around performer, is the Hot Bodies Rover. it mixes the manuverability of a Cougar with the climbing of a Losi but be prepared for the higher COG if you don't adjust your suspension.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #7

thanks for all the opinions guys. I think im gonna try out the Hammers on my rig now and see how they work. Im still waiting for my new motor and esc to show up ill have to post some pics of it later when its all put together. So far this thing is amazin i cant wait to see it once its not stock anymore
Old 11-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #8

also thanks for the info on RPP i was on there ordering some other parts and that was the best price i have seen anywhere thanks MrNate
Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

If you do decide on Hammers, I might suggest you get M3 with memory foam.
vegaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaracer View Post
If you do decide on Hammers, I might suggest you get M3 with memory foam.

thanks for the tip vega. Just out of curiosity is there a noticeable difference between the M2 and the M3?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #11

I have the Hammers in an M2 with memory foam. I also have the Losi Claws in M3 (Blue) with memory foam. I like the Losi's much better. They seem to grip the rocks a lot better. However if you are running in loose dirt the softer compounds have a tendency to pick up dirt a lot more.
torque monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 AM   #12

I had the Hammers in M3 with memory foam runnin on my edge and loved em but recently got the rock claws and am far more happier with the claws. Really depends on the terrain though
AndLeg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

In the short time I've been into crawling, the two thing that work where I run are: the softer and taller the better. The M3 hammers I bought to replace the stock tires on my AX10 were a drastic improvement but the HB rovers I got yesterday blow them away. This is on my home built course consisting of large chunks of broken concrete and jagged field stone, your results may vary.

Steve
vegaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #14

I only had $20 on me so i picked up 2 claws and I've been running them on the front of my otherwise stock ax-10 rtr and man do they make a hell of a difference. I should be able to get back out tomorrow and the the other 2.

I was running no foams, and just cut 2 of me axial foams down the middle to try and let the BBs roll around.. the foams made a hell of a difference. most of my testing has been on slick rock, loose dirt and lake beds
sfaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I had a set of Hammers with memory foams and I thought they were a bit to soft in the sidewall. I replaced the memory foams with some star cut Losi foams from a set of Rock Claws and had better results. I liked the setup with Hammers M3 with the cut foams but I like my Rock Claws with memory foams much better.
awd199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have had great luck with the claw's w/ star cut foams.
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote