Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best scale setup for Tamiya Hilux body?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best scale setup for Tamiya Hilux body?

I have been wanting to build a scale rig, but want to do my research first and get experienced scalers input.

I basically was wondering what is the best chassis to go with for a scale Tamiya Hilux body, and get good articulation? I have been loooking at the build threads and have been getting some ideas. It would be nice to get a bruiser chassis but I cant afford $800 for it. I'm looking to spend around $200 - $400 for just the chassis(whatever a chassis kit consist of). Bare with me, i'm a bit of a greenhorn to scale rc, but any help/suggestions/input is much appreciated.........THANKS.
Ebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

alright ppl...whats goin on? 12 views and no suggestions. Someone please help me out.

I want to build a 2.2 rig for trail riding. I have a couple of ideas where to start, but want expert opinions on what ESC to use and what servos stand up to a beating.

Any help/suggestions is MUCH appreciated...THX again
Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i make a scale chassis specifically for the hilux body. set up for 4 link or leafs. see link in sig, under custom chassis. ;)

for my scalers, i run moped escs(CPE), and toward pro servos(JPs).

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 11-13-2008 at 09:45 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
'08 2.2 National Champ

The Reign RC K2-5 works perfectly too. I'm going to be starting a new one very soon.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i make a scale chassis specifically for the hilux body. set up for 4 link or leafs. see link in sig, under custom chassis. ;)

for my scalers, i run moped escs(CPE), and toward pro servos(JPs).

Saw the chassis, which length would u go with for the Hilux body? I havn't done much research on bodies yet, so if it comes in different sizes..I havn't picked a body size yet. I like the looks of a 2.2 rig alot. Like I said, freakin greenhorn here bare with me, i may ask some real newb Q's

What's moped? Pro servos? Are CPE and JPs companies??

Going to check that Reign K2-5 now
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebach View Post
Saw the chassis, which length would u go with for the Hilux body? I havn't done much research on bodies yet, so if it comes in different sizes..I havn't picked a body size yet. I like the looks of a 2.2 rig alot. Like I said, freakin greenhorn here bare with me, i may ask some real newb Q's

What's moped? Pro servos? Are CPE and JPs companies??

Going to check that Reign K2-5 now
there all identical ;) and the chassis was made specifically for that body. length, wheel base, shock towers etc.
2.2 proline flatirons would look great on the hilux.

moped is a cheap $30 speed control from overseas. (CPE is a fellow vendor here that sells them)
toward pro servos are also cheap servos from overseas (JP customs also a fellow vendor here sells)
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

is there any sodering(<---spelling) required for a 2.2 rig?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yes, soldering (<---correct spelling, you were close) will most likely be required for a custom build. It will be needed when setting up the electronics.

BTW, I am currently building a Hi-lux with a K25 chassis. The chassis and skids can be cut (with basic tools, i.e. dremmel) to fit your needs.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

yeah, i was having a brain fart...

I was wonering if you had to solder on shock towers or not? any soldering required other than eletronics??
Old 11-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

On my K25 chassis, I used bolt on shock towers. Just drill a few holes in the chassis and your are ready to go! I'll snap a pic of my "in progress" build this evening, if you are interested.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
On my K25 chassis, I used bolt on shock towers. Just drill a few holes in the chassis and your are ready to go! I'll snap a pic of my "in progress" build this evening, if you are interested.

That would be great. I'de rather just use the bolt on ones anyways, beacuse I would guess they are easier to take off and clean or replace when needed. Any help I can get right now is appreciated. What length chassis is the best for the Hilux using 2.2 tires??? I've seen many different sizes on The Scale Shop's website.

Last edited by Ebach; 11-13-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I am not sure what the wheelbase of the Hilux body is (I am building a truggy), but I am sure that the K25 will be the correct length. I set my wheelbase at 12.5" (optimal for 2.2" tires) and the chassis was a perfect length...I didnt cut anything off.

BTW, your budget of $200-$400 for the chassis is pretty high. IIRC, the K25 was around $50 shipped.

Last edited by JeremyH; 11-13-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I am not sure what the wheelbase of the Hilux body is (I am building a truggy), but I am sure that the K25 will be the correct length. I set my wheelbase at 12.5" (optimal for 2.2" tires) and the chassis was a perfect length...I didnt cut anything off.

BTW, your budget of $200-$400 for the chassis is pretty high. IIRC, the K25 was around $50 shipped.

I'm sure someone knows the demensions and would be so kind as to post them here for me

Yeah, after looking around on different sites, I have learned that chassis are pretty cheap. I was kinda looking for a combo deal since this is my first build, but I think I can put one together myself.

Thanks for all the input so far, I got a notebook over here writting down all the different ESC's, Motor's, axles, servo's, etc...and anything else that catchs my eye (i.e. tips and whatnot)
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Well, I measure the length of the K25 Chassis as 16". Here are some pics of my build so far:
(bolt on shock mount)

(chassis....I will likely be narrowing the skids and standoffs and mouting the leafs outside of the chassis rails)

(body mockup...it will be shifted forward and the wheelwell will be centered over the wheel)

Last edited by JeremyH; 11-13-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Nice! That pic of the shock mounts made it all clear for me.

You said that you were going to move the leafs outside of the framerails. Does this give you better arcticulation???
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I doubt that it will flex any different, but I am just not happy with them inside the frame rails.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

just looking on RC4WD and seeen the Yota scale axles...are they worth the $200 per axle or should I just go with something like a T-rex 44 mini or 60???
Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Hummm....I dunno, never used them. They are cool though. Give it a go!!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thx, but I need the opinion from someone who has used them before. But thx for everything else

If they work as well as the T-rex axles, I might go with those and save some $$$ and put that towards other parts...

Last edited by Ebach; 11-13-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

No problem. You wont be disappointed with the customer service from RC4WD.

BTW, I am using TLT axles on the truck pictured above.