Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is it just me or

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is it just me or

Do the axial ax10 kits have about 85 degrees of articulation with just new springs?
if there is more required to do this then what?
i see a lit of them in picture threads and all i see is new springs, not shocks, but springs man!
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I think the AX10 kits have about 70 degrees but you could get 85 by playing with the link geometry. when i first started I put a custom 4 link setup on my RTR and unintentionally got 90 degrees. lol
ax10alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Too much flex can be a bad thing! I have my boy's ax10 limited to about 40 degrees articulation.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10alex View Post
I think the AX10 kits have about 70 degrees but you could get 85 by playing with the link geometry. when i first started I put a custom 4 link setup on my RTR and unintentionally got 90 degrees. lol
Hmmm...
Can you let me know how to do that just so i never do?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #5

How can too much articulation be bad? I've heard this from some guys that do RC comps.
This really isn't much of a factor for the 1:1 stuff, but I would like to know what you guys think, and why it would be bad.
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

hi
I think propulsion and steering suffers from articulating too much, because the particular movement is directed into the vertical plane and therefore loses efficiency.

sincerly
tomancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

My old chassis had 100 degrees of articulation! The new chassis has about 40 degrees & works much better.
tubed-n-lubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

To much articulation is a bad bad thing... even in 1:1.

If you always have a tire on the ground you think that you have traction right? What if you have all 4 on the ground but no pressure on any of them really?

You will have a much more predictable and controlled rig if you limit the suspension travel to a usable amount.

Too little can also hurt you but my experiance both in 1:1 and rc is less is better.
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKMAN View Post
If you always have a tire on the ground you think that you have traction right? What if you have all 4 on the ground but no pressure on any of them really?

What's the difference of having all 4 on the ground with little to medium pressure on each wheel and having minor flex with wheels in the air due to no flex? I've seen em torque themselves right over.

I guess I don't get it, I'm taking all this beautiful engineering on a flexy suspension design and kind of throwing it away, that's how I feel about it.:-(
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKMAN View Post
To much articulation is a bad bad thing... even in 1:1.
Tell that to this guy!
*Points at myself with both thumbs*
My 1:1 rig is an all out buggy and you think i limit my suspension?
Nope, but then again the front flexes like hell and the back doesnt have enough weight to reach its maximum flex. So i guess i do limit it involuntarily.
More flex doesnt mean more grip, thats not what were trying at, were trying to keep our wheels on the ground before our top is on the ground.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
How can too much articulation be bad? I've heard this from some guys that do RC comps.
This really isn't much of a factor for the 1:1 stuff, but I would like to know what you guys think, and why it would be bad.
It's hard for a wheel on the ground to be much use if it's laying flat on the sidewall. More flex in my experience leads to extra ride height, and general instability on a side hill. Look at what wins comps, it's a low, stable rig. Also, big flex can mean it's really easy to drop a tire into a hole that a less flexy setup would have carried a tire over.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 11-18-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #12

Okay, I can see how too much flex would affect the crawler from what Trike said.
I haven't gone to comps yet, but I want to sign up with SoCal Crawlers and I think they have a comp every Friday. Was going to start going and see what people run, and why. Then finally join in.

I'm going with a droop set up and using silicone fuel tubing to adjust my ride height on the outer part of the shock shaft to keep my lower links parallel with the ground. I ditched the Rock Krushers and got some Losi Rock Claws, and I put in an order for Mayhem comp wheels. I think I'm on my way there. And by doing this droop set up, I should decrease the flex a little bit.

If not I'll make mini limit-straps.