Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new to Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new to Crawling

I've been into RC for a while now and have talked the wife into letting me get a crawler. I'm planning on getting the AX-10 with the stage 2 upgrade from CKRC. To keep the initial investment down some I'm going to be using a Novak Rooster 12t ESC and an old servo that I have laying around. I'm not sure if I want to build a rig that is strict crawler or more of a rock racer.

I do not currently have a BEC and am wondering if I should get one, would this be something to add to the purchase?

Is the stage 2 AX-10 kit from CKRC a good bang for the buck or would I be better off with let's say a MIP driveshaft, upgraded tranny gears, and better shocks?

My target budget is 300-350 to get a good rolling chassis, if anyone has any other input, thanks in advance.
rlem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I had the Rooster 12t in my axial originally and had some issues with it when going slow. It would tend to jump and surge which can be somewhat frustrating the 12t also does not have adrag brake so it will have a tendancy to roll when you get off the throttle if you are on a steep incline. I would buy the ARTR for $230 from the crawlerstore along with the front and rear 4 link boomerang plates $6 for the front and $4 for the rear and a speed controller for crawling like the tekin FXR for $98 which is fully adjustable. That puts you in just under $350. I know its on the higher end of what you were looking to spend but its worth it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Hello! Welcome! It's good to see another person from the Houston area. Look here for information on GTG's and Comps:
http://www.texasrcoffroad.com/txrco_forum/

That Rooster will be good for a crawler. It used to be the hot ticket when this part of the hobby first started.

Yes, an external BEC would help to boost more power to that old servo. Castle Creations makes a good programmable BEC.

Last edited by JeremyH; 12-07-2008 at 11:20 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

thanks for the feedback, I'll be making a decision and spending some money soon.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

Once you start crawling, you'll see things a lot differently. You'll walk around looking at things and thinking "I bet I could crawl that obstical", it will consume you. After your first comp, you will tear down the whole rig and change this and that in hopes of making some huge gains. You will go to the hardware store and hobby shop every day just to see if there is something new you can screw, bolt, or glue to your rig. WE ARE A SICK BREED OF PEOPLE!! But it is a good kind of sickness.

Last edited by Bustedback; 12-09-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I did the same thing when I used to compete in Judo (I got to where I would watch peoples weight shift and look for opportunities to throw) and Kick Boxing (I won't go there). I need something I can do and not worry about getting hurt now that I'm a responsible family man.

At any rate I think I'm gonna get the AX-10 with the stage 2 suspension, a new battery pack and BEC to start. Maybe slip in the MIP driveshafts if the wife won't gripe too loud (no pun intended)
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #7

whoa start easy. ide get the kit, build it yourself, that way you know all the inner workings, get mip cvd's, set it up for a droop setup with the internal springs from TCS and a LRP ESC and ultra torque servo from hitec. those upgrades will get you further than the stage 2 from ckrc and cost about the same. oh yeah. the heavy duty lockers and some better tires. when you decide whether to crawl or rock race you have a good foundation to build on. next ide invest in a 4 link setup and the bent rear lower links. good for either crawling or rock racing. just my opinion. but then ive built 4 scorpions......lol learned a little more each time...
k9500winmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

k9
what do you not see a value in the stage 2 upgrade? From what I have read it is a good step for improve performance. I am also curious to know why you would upgrade the CVD's before the driveshafts.
Oh and i'm all for a kit,to me building these things is half the fun, when I first got into this you could not buy a RTR unless you went to radioshack. Any hobby grade RC was a kit all the way.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'll be the odd ball and say go with the HPI Wheely King. It was my first crawler and I have loved tinkering with it to make it crawl better and better. Or you could just buy mine from me and come out cheaper than the Axial.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Here is what I ordered. After some thought, it looks like I should be able to fab up the 4link plates, and some heavy duty arms, so I thought I would beef up the drive train on the initial purchase. Any thoughts on this.

Axial AX10 Scorpion
TCS Crawlers 8 cell Split Battery Pack for AX10 Scorpion - 9.6 volt - Deans Connector
Castle Creations CCBEC 10 amp Switching Regulator
MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (2 each)
Axial Racing Slipper Clutch #AX30414

The item list did not paste in well, total ended up being a little of 3 bills.

Last edited by rlem00; 12-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Sounds good, did you get lockers?

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Should have bought some tires.

Good call on the other stuff. Don't need the CKRC stage 2. Get the TCS boomerangs. Clutch is a good idea too.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I decided to start upgrading from the trani out for some reason. I thought the slipper would protect the tranni and the next step out is the driveshafts.

Like I said I'm gonna fab up some battery mounts, 4link mounts, and anything else I think I can after I get this build. I think my next upgrades after the DIY stuff would be to beef up the axles, followed by tires and wheels. Follow that up with upgraded shocks, then a good high torque servo, after my wife gets done yelling at me for dropping more money into this than her. I'm gonna get with an EE buddy of mine and figure out a good way to make a h2o proof brushless set up that won't over heat, if it has not already been done.

I'm really excited about this as I have almost 10 years in automotive mfg and job shops dealing with process, systems, design development and quality. So I'm gonna try to put some of what I have learned along the way into something that can make me some $$$$$$$$$$!!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I received my order today and it was all there. I did notice something odd. I ordered this battery pack

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...r-p-16620.html

and noticed that the cells were quite a bit smaller than what I expected to get. Perhaps this is a simple question but what is the difference between this one and the one I have linked below? I chopped this one up for my B44.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNCR2&P=0

This is probobly a simple question but all this stuff has gone way high tech since I started in the 80's. I am assuming that with the second link the batteries are larger due to the higher capacity?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The first link shows 2/3A batteries....the second shows Sub C batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlem00 View Post
I am assuming that with the second link the batteries are larger due to the higher capacity?
Correct.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote