Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Servo to choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Servo to choose

Well, in anticipation of my new order I pulled out a servo and began to run it in my buggy, about 5 minuets later all go and no steering. Looks like my initial investment just increase. I've been searching around and was wondering if in the market for a new steering servo what would you prefer for the AX10? I am thinking all metal gears a deff, perhaps water resistant, and digital (would be icing on the cake). Wife's already given me the look, when I told her new servo too, so can't really agitate her any more. Perhaps if I'm frugal I could get a good new motor and ESC as well...then I wake up.
rlem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Well, if money is no object, the HiTec 7955TG or 5955TG (which both have Titanium gears) are perfect, but they will cost you a bit over a bill. If you need to keep your expenses down, then this Towerpro (which also has metal gears) will work just fine:
http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...75/5381533.htm

You can get a Castle Creations external BEC to increase the voltage to the servo and get a bit better performance from them.

I run the 946R in my scalers and they work just fine. No breakage so far!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I say money is not object, my wife on the other hand will thank you for your economical suggestion. What is the life like on the MG946R? I want to purchase one that will have a decent life. That's a pretty low price and I tacked the BEC on to this order.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

a 645mg will do the trick and they also sell a rebuild kit for like 8 bucks
jd267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, I have been running one on my scaler for over a year. Of course, this is a scaler (which belongs to my wife) and doesnt get abused (that often)....it just sees regular use. I bet that it would hold up quite well on your ax10. It wont be the fastest responding servo and wont have the most torque, but I prefer those over 645MGs....especially with a CC BEC.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Look at the Hobbico CS 170, has dual ball bearings, Titanium gears, and 333 oz of torque, mine cost $90 at the Lhs. Over 3 months of use and so far no issues. I had a HiTec 645mg, it did OK for a month, then it quit. Just providing information!
davidsc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJYT8&P=ML

Above is the servo that died today. Being the curios person I am I had to know the failure mode. Took the servo apart and everything looked fine. So I started breaking it down and testing components. When I got to taking apart the motor the brushes were toast. I would say this could be caused by my abusive 3 year old who loves to steer and just got the servo too hot? Anybody else out there like me who likes to know the failure modes?

When you pay more for a servo what are you paying for? packaging, gear strength, durability, life span?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlem00 View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJYT8&P=ML

Above is the servo that died today. Being the curios person I am I had to know the failure mode. Took the servo apart and everything looked fine. So I started breaking it down and testing components. When I got to taking apart the motor the brushes were toast. I would say this could be caused by my abusive 3 year old who loves to steer and just got the servo too hot? Anybody else out there like me who likes to know the failure modes?

When you pay more for a servo what are you paying for? packaging, gear strength, durability, life span?
You are definitely paying for Durability. You cannot put a life span on servos....everyone using them on different applications. I am running the Hobbico CS-170, and have been for about a year now, and haven't have a problem yet.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Just picked up a jr st126mg at the lhs. Not a perfect choice but the price was right and with a 3 yr warrenty it'll get used somewhere. Have not installed it yet as I'm at the eye doc. Anything negative on this one?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

well, set the servo up in my buggy to try it out and now I can steer. My wife won't let me build the AX10 until Christmas, I feel like a kid again.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlem00 View Post
I feel like a kid again.
Wait until you get it built and start driving it!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I've got to ask as you are in the Houston area. I live just north of the Woodlands and have been visiting Larrys off of 1960 for my needs, is that the best place to go in this area? I'd bet money that the day after Christmas I'm gonna be looking for something I need and won't want to wait for mail order.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I've never been to Larrys. I live in the Heights and work near the galleria area....so I dont get up that far north much. I used to go to M&M and they have a great selection, but the owner is a jackass. So now, I go to RC HobbyShop in Sugarland. They have a good selection and the employees are great!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I've been to M&M's and don't get very good service at Larry's, sugarland is too far to drive, For awhile it was cheaper to pay 20 in shipping than it was to make a drive like that lol. The next time I'm over that way I'm deff gonna stop in and see their inventory.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Buy a JR and dont worry bout it. JR Z9000t or 9100T. 115.00, 3 yr warrenty, basically no questions asked, quick turn around, fast service, quality servos ect......

these are 323 and 363 in/oz respectively.
JR8711, around 140.00 405 in/oz, or if your running a 2s lipo, the JR Z9100HSVT for 482 in/oz of torque.

for the 20. or 30.00, the JRs are FAR better than anything tower can ever hope to offer. and inmo, JRs are a nicer servo than Hitecs are.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote