Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Foam Tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
"HOLLYWOOD"

Default Foam Tuning?

Have seen this term passed around a little on the site and was wondering if anyone Knows about this tunning is it just cutting your foam into a star or diffrent shapes??

How do you exactly tune foam thanks.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

I moved this thread.

Don't cut the foams into a star. You get dead spots, and wheel hop. Leave them full size and find a density that works best for your truck.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
"HOLLYWOOD"

Thanks

So just try diffrent types of foam that's what people mean when they say foam tunning???
Old 12-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Yep. Some guys might round of the outer edges a little, but typically the foam is so soft, they're not actually changing anything when they do that. Some guys might hog out the centerline a little too, that would be a fine tuning adjustment for the center of the tire to collapse a little more.

The guys that are star cutting foams are using the wrong foams. Too stiff.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
"HOLLYWOOD"

Was wondering about that, cause am about to order some Losi Claws with memory foam and did not want to cut up a good foam you know lol.

Was wondering about that center channel cut saw someone doing it, but he did not just cut the center out he cut it lik an inverted star with points goin into the center of the tire.

By you rounding the outer part or the tire would that give you more grip?
Since you don't have that straight wall on the side of the tires?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
By you rounding the outer part or the tire would that give you more grip?
Since you don't have that straight wall on the side of the tires?
I feel that the cornersand edges of the foams are so soft anyways, there's no reason to trim them. They just get smashed down by the round curve of the tire anyways.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
"HOLLYWOOD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I feel that the cornersand edges of the foams are so soft anyways, there's no reason to trim them. They just get smashed down by the round curve of the tire anyways.
Thats what I was thinking I mean the foam is huge inside the tire it will shape like the tire thats why I was asking.

So do you have any suggestions for foam tunning or foam suggestions?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

What tire? Losi? I'd keep their stock foam in back, and try a stock Axial non memory foam up front.

I remember running NWTT memory foams and those worked great, but it's cold now, so I'd do regular foams. I'm a fan of front stiff so they turn, and rear soft so they really grab.

Oh, and make sure you put at least two holes in the tires, but I do four. 1/8" or so, I use a leather hole punch. I've found venting the tires to be better than venting wheels, but venting wheels is okay. Just put enough holes in everything so air is never trapped inside, or slowing down the reaction of the tire.

Last edited by EeePee; 12-26-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
"HOLLYWOOD"

Well as of now what I did to my stock Axail tires is shave the edge's and put to .125 holes in my tires one on top and one 180 from the other I have godd tire venting the tire fills up and loose'es for grip pretty good then again this is just going up certen this in my yard on sunday going to to a gtg were I can really try it out.

But ordered some Losi claws and some memory foam also the tires come with regular losi foam but ordered the memory to foam tune, well am from miami and it's not cold down here lololol.

But I like that soft rear and hard foam front idea after my sunday run I'll see how it goes and when my stuff get's here will try some diffrent setups.

Thanks EeePee
Old 12-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Good deal dude, testing things for yourself is always the best way to learn and find what works best, for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
"HOLLYWOOD"

well went out today wih a couple of guys and 4 sure need better tires and some diffrent foams to try out.

Had a great time truck held up great pretty much any surface terrain hill, I took it up to it climbed and made it but did noticed in a couple of spot's were tires and maybe a diffrent foam might have done it 4 sure.

So placing an order this wek on tires and foams any suggestins on foams cause am 4 sure getting losi claws.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What tire? Losi? I'd keep their stock foam in back, and try a stock Axial non memory foam up front.

I remember running NWTT memory foams and those worked great, but it's cold now, so I'd do regular foams. I'm a fan of front stiff so they turn, and rear soft so they really grab.

Oh, and make sure you put at least two holes in the tires, but I do four. 1/8" or so, I use a leather hole punch. I've found venting the tires to be better than venting wheels, but venting wheels is okay. Just put enough holes in everything so air is never trapped inside, or slowing down the reaction of the tire.

Hello, I have some questions if you don't mind...
EeePee,
Why are you a fan of putting the vent holes in the tires and not the wheels???

Also Does anyone know where you can purchase different sizes/density of tire foam inserts or the stock axial foams???

Thank you for your time,
RCholic
RCholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Instant air release. I want the air out of there as soon as it can get out of there. And drilling holes in expensive wheels is not what I want to do.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
09 RCA champ!

Quote:

I'm a fan of front stiff so they turn, and rear soft so they really grab.

dont those two statements contradict each other? im confused ive been hearing in the past to run soft up front and harder in the rear so the rear will bite less for steep climbs. BUT....ive been testing just the opposite lately and i think i like to use harder foam up front like you were saying.
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
"HOLLYWOOD"

Best thing I ever did was drill 2 holes in my tires my going with 4 holes this time need faster release and inflate noticed it this past weekend when I went out there the tir was still holding to much air and not refill quick enough.

But now with my new Losi claws and memory foam should be all good, got the Hybrid Squat Foam, Should have some really good tracktion now, plus going with some weight's on the rims my front is too light up front going with 7oz in each front and 3oz in each rear, should keep me leveled out.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #16

Maybe I listened to too much web-wheeling before I put my ax10 together. I did drill four 1/8" holes in my rims (did the same on my old Kanai 3 too) and I cut my foams. But they are not cut like stars. I trimmed 10mm off the side and used a steak knife to cut thin 1/4" wide slits in the foams about 1/4" apart. It keeps the tire round, allows for good flex, and I dont have any wheel hop problems. I intend on getting some losi rock claws, but I dont compete down here in LA so for what I do I am keeping my rock lizzards for now.
supr_fly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

One thing that didn't get mentioned about "tuning foam" is that many crawlers have been experimenting with building tire foams with more than one foam compound by laminating them together with spray adhesive.

For example creating a foam that provides a excellent conforming contact patch but won't roll or fold over in a side hill situation. The NWTT memory foams started doing that and some have taken it to a more extreme level using soft memory foams in the center of a couple of slices of a harder foam laminated on the outside.

That's another aspect of tuning foams.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I star cut my foams and it made no difference at all, won't do it again. Better tires and weight is all a guy need i think.
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #19
"HOLLYWOOD"

With my stock tires and foam I drilled 4 holes in my tires and cut the foam in a star noticed a huge change from the first time I went out, but after reading and seeing that not too many people cut there foam with my new foam and tires will not cut my foam.

Thats crazy you said that about mixxing foams together was talking to a freinda nd was wondering if anyone had ever tryed that cause really did not find any thread about it.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #20
I joined the Band!

I added weight to my wheels, drilled holes in the rims, and star cut the foam all at once, so its hard to tell what I saw the most gain from.
But I notice a HUGE difference in the tires, they really form to the terrain much better.
But yea it does make sense to just find a foam density that works out best.
But until thin, I see no problem playing around with the options, like start cutting.

~John
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote