Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MOA conversion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
Just like the Castle stuff. The PC interface is nice. Works with the BEC's too.

Losi shocks!!! Trust me.

The KK chassis depends on the shocks. If you go with the Losi, get the chassis for 4" shocks.
i have their BEC too lol
i ned to get around to programming it too
doesnt it have almost the same specs as the FXR?
also i think i might be cutting the budget close with the losi's so ill see when i get there
what chassis, im new to KK's designs
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47willysbuggy View Post
neat chassis, i think i might just make one, a VERY small one. Big enough for a battery.
looks like you might need more wheelspeed.
lol
KK is good stuff.

Making a chassis is easy.

I plan to go with a staggered motor setup a 45t in the front and a 55t in the rear it will give you more speed in the front for hill climbs and digging.

Shocks all depend on chassis design and how much ground clearance you are looking for. My setup will give me a 12 3/8" WB and 3 5/8" ground clearance(We have lumpy rocks around here).

With an MOA setup you can take advantage of the fact that the drive train is on the axles and not in the chassis. The heaviest single part of a shaft driven rig is the motor and it is mounted above the center line of the axles.

So what you want to do is look at the terrain you crawl and decide what GC you want. Then layout your chassis start with a shock mounting point about 45 degrees inside the center line of the axle. Now here is where you can cheat. You dont need to mount anything in the chassis. If you get the FX R and a spectrum 3000 RX you can mount them on the axles. But wait it gets better. Search around and find a 3s 1100 25C lipo (Maxamps.com about $65) it is very small. About half the size of the one in my pic. Mount that below the front upper links. Bam you got youself a lowpro comp rig. And if you lay your chassis out low and run an 80mm shock you can get that slammed body look.

Last edited by hitman46mod; 12-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
KK is good stuff.

Making a chassis is easy.

I plan to go with a staggered motor setup a 45t in the front and a 55t in the rear it will give you more speed in the front for hill climbs and digging.

Shocks all depend on chassis design and how much ground clearance you are looking for. My setup will give me a 12 3/8" WB and 3 5/8" ground clearance(We have lumpy rocks around here).

With an MOA setup you can take advantage of the fact that the drive train is on the axles and not in the chassis. The heaviest single part of a shaft driven rig is the motor and it is mounted above the center line of the axles.

So what you want to do is look at the terrain you crawl and decide what GC you want. Then layout your chassis start with a shock mounting point about 45 degrees inside the center line of the axle. Now here is where you can cheat. You dont need to mount anything in the chassis. If you get the FX R and a spectrum 3000 RX you can mount them on the axles. But wait it gets better. Search around and find a 3s 1100 25C lipo (Maxamps.com about $65) it is very small. About half the size of the one in my pic. Mount that below the front upper links. Bam you got youself a lowpro comp rig. And if you lay your chassis out low and run an 80mm shock you can get that slammed body look.
exactly what i want to do, we have steep rocks here
accept my reciever will be on the back links/back axle
its big and cant afford a new one
i might go with sidewinder and the programming cable, i also have a CC bec so i might need it
idk i will look at specs tomorrow and see
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
exactly what i want to do, we have steep rocks here
accept my reciever will be on the back links/back axle
its big and cant afford a new one
i might go with sidewinder and the programming cable, i also have a CC bec so i might need it
idk i will look at specs tomorrow and see
Have you given any consideration to a dig setup. I would recomend a mini micro servo you can get them for about $7 on Ebay. The RX is what I call a bonus item cause it weighs nothing. So I don't think it will matter. The Sidewinder is a good choice small and powerful. I plan to run one on my 1.9 just so I can put 3s to it.

Last edited by hitman46mod; 12-30-2008 at 10:03 PM.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

dude, go with the FXR if u really think that it is much better.... people go with CC just because its already proven, very programable(no blinking crap that u have to figure out) and they reliable( trust me,I have 6 mamba maxes and a monster max) the only advantage i can see with the FXR is its size, other than that, its an even playing field.. just my 02 cents.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

thats where you're wrong, i need the sync cable anyways for my BEC so why not? plus i heard that programming is a snap with the cable
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Have you given any consideration to a dig setup. I would recomend a mini micro servo you can get them for about $7 on Ebay. The RX is what I call a bonus item cause it weighs nothing. So I don't think it will matter. The Sidewinder is a good choice small and powerful. I plan to run one on my 1.9 just so I can put 3s to it.
i think i might go with the sidewinder
Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I WAS going to get a sidewinder, but then with the PC link its the same price so the fxr is it
it will handle a 3c while i think the sidewinder will only handle 2 cells
what esc do you run?
also ideas on chassis? and shocks?
The sidewinder will handle 3 cells. I switched from a Mamba Max to an FXR and love it.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Im not going to try to make this a CC/FXR battle but i need some opinions
is it better to buy they sync cable and the sidewinder or sync cable and FXR
either way i have a castle BEC so i need it
i think maybe since i can use it with the sidewinder to just get that