Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How steep can you climb in degrees?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default How steep

We tried this weekend and the best we could climb on a three foot long piece of tread plate was 56 degrees. With a lot of weight in the tires.
jason yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I can't wait, I'm already stripping the steering and the suspension off my ride as we speak. Think of the money we could be saving, spectrum one channel radios and zero link suspensions....and tank treads!

Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

if its sandpaper surface slicks might be the best... or some soft foam tires
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Don't forget if you truly want consistency, you should use the same grit sandpaper. I'm just sayin'...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

parked my dodge nitro facing down hill to make it harder..and sprayed water....while i rainxed it........ j/k

climbed the windshield
have blues and i'm 4 linked
just at 8.5
uberalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #26
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
65 degrees
Is that all?...mine will articulate 180* so the front tires can drive on the ceiling.....what were we talking about?.....
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #27
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Is that all?...mine will articulate 180* so the front tires can drive on the ceiling.....what were we talking about?.....

thats all? mine will do 270*, and no i am not telling you how i got it that way
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
...GSAC

Nothing matters until the end of a comp. "My crawler can balance on the side!" Really? Cause I don't care.

Oh yeah.... mine can go like 80 mph
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #29

I donno, but couches and pillows are fun! Havent even taken it outside yet! TOO COLD!
Only major mod is Mini LST shocks mounted in stock location, wheel weight, Lipo and relocate electronics. (the usual)
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...RCClimbing.flv

now, Im off to Wal Mart to start climbing various windsheilds :P

Last edited by ken448; 01-06-2009 at 11:58 AM.
ken448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #30
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Great tech guys!

Moved to newbie general.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Maybe we can pull this one back on track w/ some tech info. I personally use the incline test as a barometer of my crawlers ability. Whenever I make modifications to it I test it on the ramp and if the incline increases I keep the modification if not I roll it back. What I have found has definitely corrolated to improved crawling. For example, my axial out of the box climbed at about 55 degrees. I thought that was pretty good until I started searching around and found that 65-70 is really the golden area. As soon as I moved my suspension links and relocated my battery I was a little above 60. The axial went from a fun little toy to an exciting hobby and a challenge to see what obstacles I could climb with it. I eventually developed a 16 obstacle rock course where I would test the axial. When it could climb 60 degrees it could do about half of the obstacles. Determined to get to 65 degrees, I experimented w/ adding weight to the wheels. And different shock configurations. By adding a little weight to the front and running a droop in the front and sprung in the back the axial would climb 65 degrees. From that point on it would climb all 16 obstacles. Once I got to 65 degrees I determined the axial couldn't go any high b/c of the motor placement and torque twist. That compelled me to get a berg. It turned out that the berg would climb 62 degrees in stock kit form but not much better. The berg could only do 12 of the 16 obstacles but it needs the dig to do it. The berg is still and on going project for me and I have heard of others climbing 68 degrees w/ it but I'm almost at a loss on how they do it. Even loading the wheels up w/ weights didn't help it and it seem to not respond to any suspension or link adjustments. I'm hoping by posting my findings that someone else has used this test and may offer their findings as well so we can all learn from each other.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Wink

yes I was joking. I ran outta velcro 4in up the board and the store was out ...lol

In all honesty I'm hitting 61degrees. DNA chassis and some other mods. I'm going to be moving the links on the front and lowering my battery I think I may be able to pick up just a hair more. I'll get some vids after once I get it rebuilt. I'm also putting the smaller mini T shocks on the rear and putting some 40 weight oil in them and playing with some linkage placment on the rear I need to parallel the rear links to fight torque twist that seems to be a bigger problem when I have my torquemaste motor in but then again it does put out alot more torque.

I've got a question for some of the more experienced drivers out ther about how much articulation are you allowing in the front of your crawlers.

Last edited by WarTrader; 01-06-2009 at 02:55 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #33

Default This Newb Got Skooled

I set up a piece of board that I had at about 60 deg (didn't get out the inclinometer). Then I stretched an afgan...yes and afgan across it. This made sure that traction wasn't an issue anymore cause the tires grip into the little holes and climb it like a ladder. What I found was - this thread should have been named:

"What do you do to reduce torque twist?"

All of us were off-track on traction issues. I can only get mine to a certain angle before it lifts the front right tire and flips over.

Here's one to chew on - perhaps a variable - servo controlled - spring preload for the left rear? Or something increases the preload based on angle of vehicle?
FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #34
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40 View Post
Here's one to chew on - perhaps a variable - servo controlled - spring preload for the left rear? Or something increases the preload based on angle of vehicle?
...Or better link geometry.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Green 73 bronco 2.2 scaler: (avatar) 56 deg, Xtrail chassis with 3.25" ground clearance, 11.4" wheelbase.

1970 F-100 1.9 scaler: 58 deg, xtrail chassis 3" with ground clearance, 11.5" wheelbase.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I know a clod is a bit different but on granite it climb closer to 70 degrees.And sometimes even more.It is mind blowing.My clod is more of a goat.Some times we wonder how we are going to fallow the truck.
smokin0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #37

ok, seeing your rig in the locked diffs thread now your climb angle makes perfect sense. Long wheelbase and no driveshaft, hmm. This started as a thread on the MRC forum before the moderator thought it was "too silly".
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Ok.its not mrc.But these stairs are 45 degrees and loose,full of sand.I thought that was the point.

Fj40,that is a nice truck.60 degrees is very impresive.Obviesly it comps well.Lets see more pics.
And where is your star?
smokin0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #39

I just rerun the test with a protractor and its probably more like 50-55 and like I said, I made sure traction wasn't an issue. I just tried it with the left rear suspension locked (threw a wrench in the works) and it will do almost 60. It certainly won't go back down though Good fun.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I learned that using this as a litmus test of the modifications I made shortened the time it took to come up w/ a real well performing crawler. FJ40, that is how I started w/ my axial; I locked out the left rear to negate torque twist. That led me to focus on that first. When I made some adjustments to my upper rear links I was able to reduce the torque twist and go back to using 4 soft springs on the corners, i.e I didn't need the left rear stiffer spring. Next I rotated the tranny to position the motor on the left front side. Then I looked into weight transfer. It was the incline test that really turned the axial around and made it fun to drive.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote