Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Full Chassis VS Tube Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Arrow Full Chassis VS Tube Chassis

List some Pros and Cons of each. They both have their advantages, but which is better for what? Correct me if I'm wrong.

:-P Pros of tube Chassis: From what I've seen on the real 1:1 scale trucks, these work the best with the most articulation and the ability to hold it's proper geometry in adverse situations.

:-( Cons of the Tube Chassis: Tube chassis have more things that can bend from a solid thump at the end of a tumble. Also, it doesn't look too much like a home brewed beast that started the sport of rock crawling.

:-P Pros of a full chassis: Pros of a full chassis to me is the realistic nature of them. Maybe even more difficulty due to the limited articulation of the suspension interfering with the chassis rails.

:-(Cons of a full chassis: From real world experiance, the first down side is the massive weight (However that is what I've been exposed to as a family memeber of a drag racing family). The real only other thing tht comes to mind is the inability to transverse cetrain obsticals that the 90 degree of articulation a tube chassis can cover.
Unlimited_Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

First off let me say this.90degrees of articulation is way to much.

Second what are you considering full chassis?

In this sport most TVP chassis are smaller and lighter than the tube chassis that are run.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #3

A full chassis car is one with the "Full Chassis" intact. I.e. frame rails from front to back. Imagine a real truck without the body on; there are two frame rails with cross members, whereas a tube chassis is, well frankly, tubes.

As for the 90 degrees of articulation, I mentioned it for the simple fact that many of rock crawling stores I've spoken to say it is a good thing. Then the follow up with a warning that a lot of people will get themselves into a pickle with that much articulation, should they not know what they are doing. Do you agree with them?

Jed
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you want the looks of a tube frame you can do something like this guy did. A new Team RCC berg Looks to have the advantage of being small and light weight and can flex back to normal after a tumble.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Its not a bad thing really. It depends on driving style and what type of rocks you run locally. If you run boulder fields with lots of gaps and crevasses you want to be able to carry a wheel so you want less articulation. If you run massive rock formations you can run more articulation to keep all 4 on the ground.

TVP chassis are the best of both worlds in RC crawling. You can limit the shocks and control your articulation as needed. Tubers can be top heavy when compared to a lexan body. Full chassis can be run but if you need lots of articulation you have to run them high and this also makes them too top heavy.

RC Crawling in competition is not just about going up the rocks, its sidehilling, offcamber obstacles, downhilling, etc.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #6

That sounds right to me.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
If you want the looks of a tube frame you can do something like this guy did. A new Team RCC berg Looks to have the advantage of being small and light weight and can flex back to normal after a tumble.

That does seem nifty. What do you think about the pros/cons?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Class View Post
That does seem nifty. What do you think about the pros/cons?
what cons?? it is small, light, and strong, lots of mounting spots. the only con I could see is if you dont like that look..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
what cons?? it is small, light, and strong, lots of mounting spots. the only con I could see is if you dont like that look..
what he said
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I moved this to newbie general. All the answers can be found by browsing this site.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Class View Post
List some Pros and Cons of each. They both have their advantages, but which is better for what? Correct me if I'm wrong.

:-P Pros of tube Chassis: From what I've seen on the real 1:1 scale trucks, these work the best with the most articulation and the ability to hold it's proper geometry in adverse situations.

:-( Cons of the Tube Chassis: Tube chassis have more things that can bend from a solid thump at the end of a tumble. Also, it doesn't look too much like a home brewed beast that started the sport of rock crawling.

:-P Pros of a full chassis: Pros of a full chassis to me is the realistic nature of them. Maybe even more difficulty due to the limited articulation of the suspension interfering with the chassis rails.

:-(Cons of a full chassis: From real world experiance, the first down side is the massive weight (However that is what I've been exposed to as a family memeber of a drag racing family). The real only other thing tht comes to mind is the inability to transverse cetrain obsticals that the 90 degree of articulation a tube chassis can cover.

I think you are thinking about this too much. You need to figure out what area of this hobby you want to play in, like comp or scale. Plus most real world(1:1) ideas don't transfer over to this hobby very well.

In the comp class you'll see a different tube chassis vs. the scale end. Same goes for a TVP chassis or full chassis in a scaler.

Being that you have only been here for 3 days, you really should use the search button to find all your answers. RCC has been up and running for the last 4 years, 99% of most Q&A has already been done and is just a could searches away from your computer screen. Welcome.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote