Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: wheel weight questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default wheel weight questions

can u use wheel weights on the stock wheels????? And how do u install them??? I really want to get some
KrazyKrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

What kind of crawler do you have? You install the weights by taking off your tires and put them on the outside of the rim. It depends which crawler you have but I took my stock axial rock lizards and used nickels glues together and that works awesome and they fit perfect. I don't know if you have the same size of wheels though. Most people use wheel weights for cars.
AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #3

throwing some lead BB's can work as well, I know in 1:1 they use lead shot
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

use sticky wheel weights for cars/trucks. I used them on my MRC and AX10, just pull the rubber off and the foam, peel and stick, don't cover the holes in the rims. Reinstall rubber and foam and your off to the races, or rocks i guess.
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ok thanks ya i forgot to say i have a losi mrc and i guess ill try the sticky weights......... where can i get these????
Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKrawler48 View Post
ok thanks ya i forgot to say i have a losi mrc and i guess ill try the sticky weights......... where can i get these????
I went to a local tire shop and asked for 4 sticks, they come in sticks of twelve 1/4oz adheasive-backed balance weights. I paid 4 dollars for all of them. I still got a stick left over because the way I set mine up I only put them on the rear rims. I got 4.5oz in each rim.

I am a rccrawling newb too, but not new to the RC world or rock crawling as I have two 1:1 rock crawlers.
supr_fly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

do you run weights in all four tires? or just front or just rear?
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadork View Post
do you run weights in all four tires? or just front or just rear?
I modified 3600 pack built to hug the front servo and custom made a servo plate that accepts the factory batt pack straps. The sheer weight of it is enough for the front axle, it made it rear wheel-hop real bad and quit climbing stuff so I put 4.5oz in each rear tire and got me pretty close to 60/40 weight bias. Between that and several other mods she climbs really well now.

FYI, if you run the battery on top of the chassis, than you should run weights on both ends of the rig. I would aim for 60/40 split and try smaller amounts first, than add to it as needed. I wouldnt put anymore than 5-6oz in each front wheel and 3-4oz in each rear wheel for starters. Remember you are adding rotating mass and it can start causing broken parts if you put on too much weight.
supr_fly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I run 3.5oz in front and 1.5oz out back in my MRC

And 6oz up front and 3oz out back on my Ax10.

Seems to do the trick, maybe some more in the front would help a bit.
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I run 6oz. in each front tire of my ax10. In the rear I have 3oz. in each tire. It crawls well.

I use lead solder. You take what you need and wrap it around the outside of the rim and duct tape it. I hear the stick on wheel weights are a bear to try to remove. Don't forget to star cut your tire foams also. That makes a little bit of difference.
dkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I got the stick on weights from the tire shop too. They just gave them to me after some prodding, at first they wouldn't even sell them to me because they're lead (toxic). Finally he was like, here but you didn't get them from me. BTW I only have about 1.5oz on each wheel on my MRC and it seems to be enough, that's as much as one wrap around the wheel without covering the vent holes. Also on MRC's you have to trim the weights because they are too wide, a pair of wire cutters works great.
Smuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuff View Post
I got the stick on weights from the tire shop too. They just gave them to me after some prodding, at first they wouldn't even sell them to me because they're lead (toxic). Finally he was like, here but you didn't get them from me. BTW I only have about 1.5oz on each wheel on my MRC and it seems to be enough, that's as much as one wrap around the wheel without covering the vent holes. Also on MRC's you have to trim the weights because they are too wide, a pair of wire cutters works great.
dang i should of read that before becasue i figured out the sticky weights dont just go right in. so i put nine of the 1/4 ounce sticky weights on the front axle. do you guys think that was to much???