Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Locked Diffs wear and tear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Locked Diffs wear and tear

I got a question about locked diffs and axles. I know in real truck when you lock the rear end that it not best to drive it on the road a lot. Due to how the tires both try to turn at the same speed while making a turn. So a locked rear end would be best for dirt only applications or drag where there is minimal turning. So my question is: Is that the same thing for r/c crawlers will the diffs and axles or anything else that can be locked out will eventually cause damage or wear and tear. Im getting into the this wonderful sport soon, and im stuck between the axial scropian and the venon creeper, due to its lock/unlockable diffs. I live in the land if you see a rock most likly its been imported. So i may not always use my crawler for crawling. Sorry if i typed to much. Any help would be great. Also i think its great that you can buy a kit and actually put the entire truck together yourself again. I missed that part of r/c for a while with all the RTR and ARTR stuff...
DareDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #2

I am not sure if I will answer your questions, but here is my experience: I run Jeeps, mine is locked front and rear and my wifes is locked in the rear with a true track in the front. She also has a shorter wheel base, but in 4-low hers turns much tighter. I usually leave the front locker off to help turn my jeep around sharp corners.

Ok application to RC crawlers: I have a feeling this is why most serious competitors run some sort of a dig unit to make the crawler turn sharper. I thought about getting the venom for the same reason (to unlock the diffs), but past RC experience told me to go for the common (easy to get parts for) and well supported (aftermarket) AX10.

I will say out of the box the AX10 leaves a little to be desired, but for little or no money they can be very competitive. I have custom made all of my own parts and modified my battery pack and it climbs 150% better than it did when I first drove it.

Either way, good luck and do more research before making a choice.
supr_fly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #3

I was told the digs were being used on the RC's to keep the rear wheels from flipping the truck over when climbing a ledge. I've had multiple times playing with the MRC that it would have been nice to unlock the rear and let the fronts do all the work.

I worry the most about breaking the diffs on carpet. It gets such great hookup that it will lift a tire when turning.
FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I seriously doubt that the diffs will break due to being locked and driven on a high-traction surface. On several occasions, I've gotten a single tire wedged and bound up in crevices in rocks that the whole rig flipped over on itself (pivoting around the bound up tire). No breakage at all.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Suck it up!

Will locked diffs put more strain on the axles? You bet. Will it destroy them in record time? Not really. Even though a scale rig may be 1/10 the size, they aren't 1/10 the weight, more like 1/200 or less (if they were true to scale we'd all be running around with 200-300 lb rc's). If you turn with a locked axle in an rc the tires are going to scrub and slide. No biggie. Its not enough to break stuff or effect the steering radius that much.

I know its a whole different animal, but I locked the rear diff in my TMaxx and hated it. It either pushed the front end when trying to turn, or it spun out. This may not relate very well to a lighter weight, smaller tired crawler, but I just thought I'd throw that out there for consideration. Otherwise, my crawler is locked both front and back and hasn't had any issues.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #6

There are many uses for a dig unit. The biggest use is going to be locking the rear tires and digging with the front to quickly cut around a sharp corner. And yes, being the the crawlers are so light, the scrub encountered and stress on the drivetrain comonents is vastly different than a heavier RC. If I put my 1:1 rubicon in 4-low and lock both diffs on the pavement I would have the turning radius of a semi with a trailer. But if I shaved 2000 pounds off of it it would turn much sharper.

So back on topic so-to-speak. You might gain manuverability with a creeper, but will pay the price with a lack of support. Plus you will have a heavier rig and have to get a 3 or 4 channel radio to operate everything.
supr_fly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I never thought about the weight being so much less then scale.We are lucky to live in the 21st century.
smokin0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin0137 View Post
I never thought about the weight being so much less then scale.We are lucky to live in the 21st century.
Truly. Now that you've considered weight, think about how much gear reduction you'd need to move a 200 lb rc with a 540 sized electric motor...

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Alright thank you for all the info. I will be making my descions soon. But i think i will be going with the AX10. Might even wait for the scale one and start there. Thanks all and have a good day...
DareDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Truly. Now that you've considered weight, think about how much gear reduction you'd need to move a 200 lb rc with a 540 sized electric motor...

Good thing I have two motors.Just kidding.I already have extra reductions 200 lbs would be unraesonable.Mine weighs 9.Considering its pretty light.

smokin0137 is offline   Reply With Quote