Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Sticky Berg Axels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Sticky Berg Axels?

Hi All,

First off, I want to thank everyone for a great forum. I've read hundreds of posts over the last several weeks, and nearly every question I've had has been answered here. It's great.

So I've decided to build a Berg Crawler. I've built several emaxxs from the ground up, and have done a fair amount of modification to a brushless e-revo, but am fairly new to RC in general.

I just received my Berg kit, and have noticed that the gearboxes appear to stick in spots when hand turning the axels. I tore one apart to see what makes it tick, and reassembled it, and it appears to stick less. Is this something that will break in over time, or do I need to address this before hooking up motors?

Thanks in advance!

c
ZuzusDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuzusDaddy View Post
Hi All,

First off, I want to thank everyone for a great forum. I've read hundreds of posts over the last several weeks, and nearly every question I've had has been answered here. It's great.

So I've decided to build a Berg Crawler. I've built several emaxxs from the ground up, and have done a fair amount of modification to a brushless e-revo, but am fairly new to RC in general.

I just received my Berg kit, and have noticed that the gearboxes appear to stick in spots when hand turning the axels. I tore one apart to see what makes it tick, and reassembled it, and it appears to stick less. Is this something that will break in over time, or do I need to address this before hooking up motors?

Thanks in advance!

c

Check the bearings on the center gear. Many people have found that they are not seated properly from the factory.

Welcome on board
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Check the bearings on the center gear. Many people have found that they are not seated properly from the factory.

Welcome on board
Thanks! Will check those out. So I'm assuming they should turn smoothly before hooking up motor, yes?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks! Will check those out. So I'm assuming they should turn smoothly before hooking up motor, yes?
They will work fine even if they don't, you wouldn't even really notice. Mine were sticky, I didn't fix it until later when I tore them apart to locktite the axle tubes.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They will work fine even if they don't, you wouldn't even really notice. Mine were sticky, I didn't fix it until later when I tore them apart to locktite the axle tubes.
I'll spend a bit of time on them then, but won't worry about perfection. I figure I'll loctite everything while I'm waiting to order the other parts I need.

I'm planning on ordering a Tekin FXR, a couple tekin 55ts, probably a tower pro servo (or will bite the bullet and get an ACE 1015 or Hitec 7995) and a switch for a rear dig to get me up and running (I already have a DX3s and an extra receiver - otherwise I would set up a front/rear dig). Tires will either be panthers or these HB Rovers I keep reading about.

Are there any parts of the stock Berg Kit you would replace right away?

Thanks again for your time-

cameron
Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
I'll spend a bit of time on them then, but won't worry about perfection. I figure I'll loctite everything while I'm waiting to order the other parts I need.

I'm planning on ordering a Tekin FXR, a couple tekin 55ts, probably a tower pro servo (or will bite the bullet and get an ACE 1015 or Hitec 7995) and a switch for a rear dig to get me up and running (I already have a DX3s and an extra receiver - otherwise I would set up a front/rear dig). Tires will either be panthers or these HB Rovers I keep reading about.

Are there any parts of the stock Berg Kit you would replace right away?

Thanks again for your time-

cameron

Replacing the stock rod ends doesn't hurt. They are strong but kind of sloppy. Traxxas Max rod ends work well.

Limit the stock shocks way down, and replace the stock metal skid with a more slick plastic version.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Replacing the stock rod ends doesn't hurt. They are strong but kind of sloppy. Traxxas Max rod ends work well.

Limit the stock shocks way down, and replace the stock metal skid with a more slick plastic version.
Thanks!