Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which Remote control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Default Which Remote control

Im still using the remote that came with my RTR but want to upgrade. It seems like the spektrum remotes are way expensive. I was looking at the Airtronics MX3 is this one very good.
Jmterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I would go with something that is 2.4ghz. I ahve those and they work well and you don't need to change crystals. I have a 2.4 spektrum DX3R, Nomadio React, and Just picked up a Futaba 6EX that I am using in my heli and will use in a new crawler.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Spectrum is the way to go...Definately...I have a DX3.0 that includes the radio, receiver, two servos, box and instructions that i will sell for $200 shipped...it is like brand new!! PICS Upon Request...
nonstopboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

the newest Airtronics is a 2.4. i hear they arnt too bad for 130ish bux. not sure if its a 3p 3rd channel, but for the cost to get into 2.4 they are pretty decent. the Futaba 3PM FASST unit would be the next option.

personally i avoid SPektrum like they're my ex wife
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopboost View Post
Spectrum is the way to go...Definately...I have a DX3.0 that includes the radio, receiver, two servos, box and instructions that i will sell for $200 shipped...it is like brand new!! PICS Upon Request...

The DX3.0 is good for many uses, but for crawling there are better choices for less $$$. The DX3.0 only has a 2 position 3rd channel. This only allows partial use of a 3 position dig. I started with a DX3.0....I now use it for my Brushless Conversions.

1. The least expensive functional unit is a modded TQ3. (3rd channel with EPA) This is not Spektrum, but will functionally fit needs. Nice unit for $60 at XTREME.

2. MX3 MODDED....similar to the TQ3 in the end, but has multiple model memories and digital view of settings. I have one of these as well in a parts box. $75 with RX on eBay

3. Spektrum DX6 Stick Radio. Needs a few simple mods, but you will not out-grow it. This is what I use to compete with....I LOVE IT. But it is an acquired taste for people used to trigger radios. $150 with RX on eBay.....maybe even less

4. DX3r, M11, 3PK, 4pk....ect. Expensive, but definitely fill the need.

Other people may have their list of favorites....this is just mine.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

dude you know you want a dx3r. just buy it haha. you know you want one. i will have to let you play with mine then you will want one haha.
webster420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
RCC Addict

If you don't want to drop a lot of $$$ on a new remote, take a look at the Airtronics MX-3 FHSS 2.4 ghz. A-Main hobbies has them for $129. I have one and have used it in my scaler and then my Slash with no complaints. The only problem is the 3rd channel switch is 2 position instead of 3 position. That may be a problem if you plan on putting a dig unit in your truck that requires a 3 position sitch....... but it can be fixed. I also think the MX-3 is a better value than anything Spektrum has to offer....
For $130 more than the MX-3, you can score a Nomadio React at A-Main. It's 4 channel and you can assign any key to perform any function via a USB connection to your computer. It would be the last radio you'd ever need to purchase. It's a better system than Spektrum could ever hope to produce

Last edited by montana.matt; 01-12-2009 at 06:17 AM.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
If you don't want to drop a lot of $$$ on a new remote, take a look at the Airtronics MX-3 FHSS 2.4 ghz. A-Main hobbies has them for $129. I have one and have used it in my scaler and then my Slash with no complaints. The only problem is the 3rd channel switch is 2 position instead of 3 position. That may be a problem if you plan on putting a dig unit in your truck that requires a 3 position sitch....... but it can be fixed. I also think the MX-3 is a better value than anything Spektrum has to offer....

If going MOA at any point a 3rd position switch is mandatory. I was surfing eBay, and Spektrum DX6 radios with RX can be had for $125 shipped NEW. This is a CHEAP way to get into a 2.4ghz product, and the mod to make the throttle gimble spring loaded can be done for $2 and about 20 minutes of time if you own a dremel and a scrap of lexan/delrin and a small pen like spring. I understand people not being used to air radios, but they offer a lot for the $$ and make future functions possible without dropping $300 on a DX3r. Running a dual stick takes a few days to get used to, but I have found that it really helped me with my driving. 2 of the better drivers in the club I am in run the DX6...and swear by it. I am purchasing parts/planning my MOA build, and will be running 2 ESCs. I will be mixing the 1 & 3 channels to allow a single unified throttle on the left...but then could un-mix via the switch on the radio, and have independant control of each axle throttle on each gimble. This is EASY front and rear dig...no dig switch...all radio control. You cannot get that kind of control in MOST pistol radios...and definitely not in a 2.4ghz sub $150. I currently run the DX6 on my shafty for 3 position dig on a RC4wd R2D. I know that this seems like a ramble, but so many people drop a TON on a DX3.0 ($200) or a MX3 ($150) ...and live with the 2 positon limitation....and never really realize all that they could be doing...until they go to MOA and want to do all the "cool stuff" and cannot because of the limitations of their radio. The Futaba 4pk, and the DX3r are GREAT radios, but they cost a lot. Extra RX units are $80+. A DX6 is $125 with an RX, and additional RX units can be had for $50 shipped NEW. Simply, if someone is looking for a 2.4ghz radio on a budget, and can do the simple stick mod themself, and is willing to go STICK...the DX6 is a SWEET answer that can do it all for 1/2 the price of the popular fancy radios. This is just my opinion....take it for what it is worth.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ya the dx6 is an awesome radio for sure. but just go with the radio you want. but make sure you have at least 3 channels so we can put my other dig on it haha. you just might not have the 3position remote. but it would be a million times better then the one you have. the mx-3 fhss is a pretty good one for the price. but you can always find sweet deals on ebay for radios so just keep checking haha.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #10

Ya im thinking i will go with the MX3 FHSS its pretty nice. Only problem is its not a 3 switch 3rd channel but that will be okay.
Jmterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #11

Default eflight

I use an eflight 2.4ghz radio. It is a 4 channel stick and you can get them around $30 on ebay. I think that specktrum makes them for eflight.
jaygvert57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #12

what about a dx3s ? im looking at getting a axial ax-10 artr and i just bought a dx3s for my slash and losi8t but i dont want to have to buy another radio for my new cralwer will the dx3s work?
rhino420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

ya the dx3s will work fine with your crawler. its a 3 channel but its the same thing. it only has a 2 position 3rd channel so the dig will only lock and 4wd. but there is alot of people that dont even need freewheel
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #14

hmm im not sure what 2 position info is.....and im just looking at getting to axial ax10 artr so im not sure if i will need a dig and im not looking to go crawler racing just crawler bashing i guess.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

idk how to explain the position thing. i just know that you need 3 positions to use the free wheel lock and 4wd with the dig. so if you dont plan on putting one on i wouldnt worry. your dx3s will be fine. even with a dig it will work
Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #16

sounds good thanks for the info!!!