Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need help assembling shocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #1

Default Need help assembling shocks!

Ok so i put my order in for all my stuff and couldnt make a decision on shocks. Finally i just decided to spend the extra money for some losi shocks that is a kit and i have to assemble them myself. I figured if i did it this way, i would learn more on how these shocks work and act. Its on order but heres the kit i bought.....
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Team-Losi...2-p-16932.html

Gonna need any help from u guys!!

Thanks!!
SeniorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

Shock assembly is pretty straight forward. Just let us know if ya get stuck
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

A couple of quick tips:
Put a good amount of shock oil on the O-rings that go into the lower part of the shock body, when you put the shock shaft through those o-rings, make sure that you have a good amount of shock oil on those shafts, especially on the the part of the shaft that is threaded. This will prevent those o-rings from getting tore up during your shock build.

Fill the shocks about 3/4 fill with shock oil and slowly work the the shock through the oil to get out bubbles (you'll forget the 'slowly' part of this step once and squirt shock oil all over your work bench).

Last edited by Greatscott; 01-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

As well as working the shock up and down to remove bubbles, I generally leave the shocks propped upright overnight...if you can wait that long, then top up and fit the caps.
WolverineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #5

Thanks guys. When they come in i will post up back here and go from there. I will finally put my build thread up soon!!
SeniorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineX View Post
As well as working the shock up and down to remove bubbles, I generally leave the shocks propped upright overnight...if you can wait that long, then top up and fit the caps.
I like that I need to build a shock stand.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Once you get those put together and run them please post a review (how well they went together, setup, leakage). I'm looking for a new set of shocks, I'm tired of rebuilding the stock AX10 shocks and having them piss shock oil.

Thanks.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I Also prop my shocks upright and leave them sit a few hours to let the air bubbles work their way up to the top and escape. The other tip I agree with is lubricating the o-ring seals that the shock shaft slides through, except instead of shock oil, I use Team Associated Green Slime, which is designed for this application. Shock oil should work just as well.

The time you need to get creative with shock assembly is when you run an internal spring on a droop type stet-up. Those can be a pain to get the air bubbles out because the piston is always under pressure of the spring and wants to draw up to the top of the shock.

Normally what I do is this -

I assemble the shock, and run the piston down as far as it can go in the shock body. I fill the shock almost to the top with oil. Then, I tilt the shock at an angle and spin the shock shaft so the piston hole is at the high side of the tilt. The air bubbles, if any (and there will be air bubbles) will collect on the high side, where the hole is. I then push the shock shaft very, very slowly to the top. Once at the top, I'll add any oil, if need be to keep the level almost full. With the shock still tilted at an angle, and the piston hole at the high side, I then very, very slowly pull the shock shaft and piston back to the bottom. Go as slow as possible. If you do, you are likely to get one big air bubble or two, rather then a million little ones that take forever to float to the top and escape. I'll repeat this step a few times until I see no more air bubbles. If you get a million tiny ones, the best thing to do is run the piston all the way down, set the shock aside and wait a few hours, or even overnight. All you have to do then is top the oil off, level to the top, insert the rubber membrain or bladder into the shock cap, and install it. Be ready to catch the excess oil as it will spill off the sides. Better to spill the exess out, then to end up with an air bubble.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the only thing different i do is put a wrap of teflon plumping tape around the threads to help keep them from cutting the o rings.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #10

A way I built my shocks was using a router bit holder (with the holes and such). I would stick everything into the hole so they would stand upright to let all the air out of them.

Oh, and if you want to have some fun, take some LST2 shocks, pull the piston down, and see how far you can shoot oil out
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote