Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Radio- pistol or stick?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Radio- pistol or stick?

Ok, I am looking at radios, just to do some research. I would like to know who runs what, and why. Are most people running pistol style radios or the old fashioned "stick" style? 1,2, or 3 channel? Thanks for any input.. Just trying to learn as much as possible about this new obsession!
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depends on what you want to do and what you like. I use pistols, one three channel on the crawler and one two channel on the onroad. Have the wife set up on the two channel pistol as well. Sticks are great if your using multiple channels; dual steering comes to mind....also if you want use a wench, dig, lights, can get up to 6 channels really easy...can use a pistol but easier with a stick...can go up to 11 channels I think...but are pricey....

one thing is for sure...if money is no object. write down what you want your rig to do, might as well get the radio that will grow with you and not hold you back....I see no problem with 3 channels. I can reach down and turn on the lights manualy.

IMHO
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well, my goals are really, at this point to just crawl, maybe have rear steer eventually, but thats about it. I don't know if winches are necessary or legal in comps... Guess I need to do some more reading.
Scott
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Just for crawling, I'd use a pistol with 3 channels for the added rear steer or dig function. I personally run atleast a 4 channel stick because I like the independent 4w steer on my super and the ability to dig. Then I just carried that over to my ax-10. Using a spektrum receiver 2.4ghz for a helicopter and its very small. Can't beat it.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
RCC Addict

i use a pistol grip. the Nomadio React. 4 chnl, 2.4Ghz, 40 model memory, VERY Flexible radio for programming. can be used as a cpu joystick, is comfy to hold for 3 hrs, adn wont fatigue your arm ect...

great radio for 260.00 for tx/rx.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think most people us pistol grip on ground r/c's. Sticks are mostly for 4-channel and up air r/c's.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I use a Spectrum stick radio and I really like it. It controls my dig nicely and it was'nt too expensive either.
Hillcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

im running the dx3r pistol. top of the line as far as pistol grip goes. i run a dig on the third channel.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

depends on your crawler and if your gonna compete or not....for a 2.2 class crawler I would recommend a 3 chan pistol(make sure your 3rd channel is 3 way switch (like a DX3r) if your gonna go super and go full out with all the goodies get the sticks (dx6 or dx6i). In 2.2 your limited to just using dig so the 3 chan will be very effective...if money is no object get a futuba 4pk, you can also use it for a super to an extent.

Personally i run a DX3r on my 2.2 for ease of use and a DX6 on my super for maximum control.
Basically it comes down to personal preference, if your very comfortable useing sticks then they will definitly give you the most control of your rig if your gonna be running anything with dual speed controls and seperate motors on each axle like a clod or berg.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Just jump it!

I run everything off my DX6I. It runs 2 different crawlers, my slash,a mini-t, a wheely king, Aerobird plane and little blade. Back when i started that was all we had and i stuck with it. Best money i have spent to date.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I am all for the stick radios. I run a DX6 and love the control that it affords. In the traditional crawler, 3 channels is servicable by a 3 channel pistol. BUT with the growth of MOA setups, and the ability to run 2 ESCs and mix them for control, 4 channels become required. To take advantage of independant axle control, the stick or the Futaba 4pk are required (Or similar). $$$ puts me in the DX6....cheap to get into....spektrum technology.....and the RXs are also 1/2 the cost of the spektrum pistol RX.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Check out the Nomadio React. It's a 4 channel radio, and it's a better quality/value than a comparable Spektrum radio. You can also bind the React to the Spektrum receiver that's in that Losi MRC you just won
It's the only radio you'll need for your MRC and any 2.2 comp rig you may want in the future...
Look here for new Nomadio React's: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9956
Sometimes you can find them on Ebay also....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Very nice! I did just win the MRC, but I may not be holding on to it for long... My brain keeps chanting 2.2 in my head, and I have a line on a nice 2.2 rig for trade of my MRC (thats not even in my hands yet)
Scott
Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I typically use a stick radio for comp use, and pistols for playing around and fast vehicles. I picked up a React for a good 4ch setup, but never really liked the radio and total lack of customer support. Plus the transceivers are really expensive and tend to have the 4th channel burn out.

Just picked up a Futaba 4pk to try, and I don't see why I will need to use a bulky stick radio anymore. I always hated lugging my dx7 around at comps, and needing to pack more than one radio. I vote 4pk if you want a pistol radio that you won't outgrow. If you are going for a stick radio the dx6, dx7, or the futaba 6ex is a good bet.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I typically use a stick radio for comp use, and pistols for playing around and fast vehicles. I picked up a React for a good 4ch setup, but never really liked the radio and total lack of customer support. Plus the transceivers are really expensive and tend to have the 4th channel burn out.

Just picked up a Futaba 4pk to try, and I don't see why I will need to use a bulky stick radio anymore. I always hated lugging my dx7 around at comps, and needing to pack more than one radio. I vote 4pk if you want a pistol radio that you won't outgrow. If you are going for a stick radio the dx6, dx7, or the futaba 6ex is a good bet.
i agree,i normally run pistol radios like the JR x2ri simple and nice....but sometimes a.m radios get me mad so i just bought a DX6 (fm) and its wonderful,love it.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #16

I am running a 4ch stick, hard to get used to but worth it since I want the dig and 4 wheel independent steering. Still use the pistol on my LST though.
USMCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I can't drive fast vehicles with a stick radio, but can fly a plane no problem.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I say 4PK Scott
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Nomadios alive and well in the game. but with the increased War effort 2 yrs ago by our now out of office POS bush, they scaled back their hobby grade gear, to focus on our troops that fly and drive those cool ass predators. you Know, the ones that just bombed afganastan trying to kill the terrorists.

Nomadio is the Defence contractor that designs, and supplies our military with the remote controls to fly and drive the UMVs.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

[quote=Timmahh;1572635]Nomadios alive and well in the game. but with the increased War effort 2 yrs ago by our now out of office POS bush,

ya, i wont even comment back regarding "hussein" obama
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote