Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I am confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #1

Default I am confused

I wanted to get a RC4WD diablo but have changed my mind to the AX10 scorpion I was waiting to get one of these before they came out but got a nitro truck instead. I am used to rtr's but don't like the AX10 rtr.

I want a good run time and think I will get these batteries. I am not sure about the c, plugs and taps. If you could suggest anything better it would be appreciated.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-2000-111-Pack.htm

Because of the 3 lipos I think I need a Tekin 55t and the ESC in the combo.

This is what I am most confused about is because of the 11.1v batteries there is no servo I can use. The hitec servos blow up after 6v or life time decreased.
But I really want to get the 7995.

I think this radio/reciver is ok but I'm not completly sure. I only need a 2 channel but in the future I might get rear steering which I think needs another channel.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Futaba_3PM_3...p/futk2020.htm

Will alll this work ok or what else do I need to make it all work.

All help will be appreciated a lot.
MirrorCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure about Lipos' but as for the servo you just need to get you a BEC, it will keep your voltage down at a safe level.
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #3

I just looked at one (BEC) from holmes hobbies and there is a video of it lifting a spring now I am even more confused, but thanks anyway.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Keep it real

ESC's have an internal BEC that regulates the voltage to either 5-6volts. Depending on how strong the internal BEC is, you may need an external BEC(like the CCBEC from Holmes) to handle high power servo and a strong motor.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Your pick of an ESC is going to be the challenge here.

Modern ESCs have an internal BEC (battery eliminating circuit) in them, which takes the [relatively] high voltage of the main batt pack, and knocks it down to a usable voltage for the servo(s), usually about 5v. So, in the end, you don't have to worry about sending too much juice to your servo(s). You just have to be sure the ESC you pick is 11.1V (3S) capable.

Due to the space limitations within an ESC, their BECs can't produce a circuit that can handle a good amount of amperage typically. This would be the purpose of external BECs, like the one you saw on holmeshobbies. They can handle higher amp draws, 10a for the CC one at holmeshobbies, whereas many internal BECs can only handle 2-3a.

edit: this post is a perfect example of why you don't start to write a post, then go get a snack and drink, and then continue to post..................it tends to make your info outdated.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

I have all venom, except my front steering servo. So far, the ESC and the motor rock and it is pretty cool how I can program them. For a radio I am runnign a hitec flash 4 system 5 channel. Works great and I cant wait to hook up the dig when they release it.
USMCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

sorry to hijack the thread a minute, but ANY ONE useing a NON 2.4 Air Radio, just be aware if someone if flying their plane or heli in your vacinity (with in 2 or 3 miles) you turning on your radio, may cause them to crash their air rig destroying it, or worse yet, causing someone bodily injury. just be aware of your local surroundings and the possibility you may bring someones plane/heli down.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCCrawler View Post
For a radio I am runnign a hitec flash 4 system 5 channel.
Yep, BIG no-no!!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #9

The tekin ESC is supposed to be able to take 3 lipos or 3s lipo. But would the internal BEC be able to make the 11v into 6v. Do i need to get an external one from holmes hobbies.

Maybe if i only get 2 lipos which I dont really want then the ESC internal BEC could handle 7.4v.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yes the Tekin FXR and FXR pro are 3s capable. But the internal BEC on the unit would probably become overworked pretty quickly. I would just go ahead ad get the 3s lipos and run the BEC. Only a little over 20 bucks more and well worth it. Will deliver all the power your servo will ever need.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote