RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Axial RTR throttle question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/160571-axial-rtr-throttle-question.html)

Grunt03 02-11-2009 11:11 PM

Axial RTR throttle question

I picked up an Axial RTR today, and 12 oz of weights, 11 of which were spread out over the front wheels before I ran out of room (still have the foam in there because I am afraid of cutting it and messing it up, or removing it entirely)

I changed the drive gear to the 14t and added the front locker (WAY fun, I seriously enjoyed doing that.)

The rig still jumps on throttle pretty bad, is it just the cheap stock motor, or is it because I need to learn to control that? I see people crawling so smoothly and I am spazzing about flopping over quite a bit. (which brings up another task: move the battery somewhere lower)

I'm having a blast so far, and I haven't even had a chance to take it outside yet because I got home so late.

constantmotion 02-12-2009 05:41 AM

Don't quote me on this b/c I have never seen a RTR in person. The ESC prolly won't handle low speeds too well. The stock motor doesn't help the situation at all. I would suggest getting an Integy 45T or 55T ($20) and see if that changes much for you. I would assume you would be a big improvement is low speeds crawalbility.

Grunt03 02-12-2009 06:05 AM

Ok, I'll check that out. ESC need to be changed or just the motor for now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by constantmotion (Post 1618025)
Don't quote me on this b/c I have never seen a RTR in person. The ESC prolly won't handle low speeds too well. The stock motor doesn't help the situation at all. I would suggest getting an Integy 45T or 55T ($20) and see if that changes much for you. I would assume you would be a big improvement is low speeds crawalbility.

paintballer9876 02-12-2009 06:50 AM

The axial motor is ok its not the best, but the stock esc is crap for crawling, i would look around for an esc/motor combo like the novak or tekin.

BEELZEBOB 02-12-2009 08:39 AM

Dude, its the controller.

the RTR controller sux.

one solution, reverse your motors polarities. it creeps better in reverse. 'specially the 27t.

another solution switch your controllers. i used another from my rc18 and it completly solved the issue.

AND a 55t motor will help as well.

constantmotion 02-12-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB (Post 1618264)

the RTR controller sux.

one solution, reverse your motors polarities. it creeps better in reverse. 'specially the 27t.

another solution switch your controllers. i used another from my rc18 and it completly solved the issue.

Controller??? The Transmitter and Receiver??? They don't have any bearing on this issue. I would recommend replacing the motor and the ESC.

BEELZEBOB 02-12-2009 09:07 AM

being that he just got it out of the box i didnt think it was a ESC issue.

'specially because i had the exact same issue w/ my RTR, until i put the crystal in another controller.

jeffc 02-12-2009 10:19 AM

I put a tekin esc and 55T motor on mine,got the stock radio it does great.The 27T motor is waay to fast to crawl.
JEFF"thumbsup"

syber70 02-12-2009 10:58 AM

put in a Tekin FXR ESC/55T motor in my RTR, and it handles so much better now...

Keep the 27T and have fun bashing it on occasion as well.

GHRGRIMREAPER 02-12-2009 04:05 PM

I just replaced my stock motor for the Axial 55t and it runs way better now.

mdlmaxx 02-26-2009 08:48 PM

just put Integy's 55t truck runs much better and alittle slower but with more control...

523revo 02-28-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB (Post 1618264)

the RTR controller sux.

not sure about changing the controller but changing the polarity on the motor worked for my rtr swap the wires from the esc to the motor around then flick the servo reverse switch on your transmitter so your rig still moves forward when you squeeze the trigger. I was a bit sceptical when I first read about this but it actually works"thumbsup"

Coldnorth 02-28-2009 04:18 PM

55-turn motor makes quite a difference,but ultimately, get a new ESC. I just installed my Tekin FXR - still using the stock controller - and just rippin' around the couch, there is now WAY MORE low-speed control. And the drag brake is AWESOME.

...But that said, the 55-turn will make a huge difference.

mrcrazyp 02-28-2009 04:23 PM

stop the jumping

if i was you i would take the foam out of the tires pull your front bead locks off fill the front wheels with water all you can get in there and then half way on the back and take that 27 t motor and throw it in the trash get you a 45 or 55 turn and buy you the good links and trash the ones on there you will see a differnce i run water and a havoc 45 turn with roster speed control

BIG_D 02-28-2009 09:24 PM

I run a 55t integy with the stock ESC. It works great. I run the stock ESC cuz it can handle up to ten NIMH cells. I run 8 and i have plenty of low speed control. with my driving style a drag break just gets in the way.

Jus 03-02-2009 10:24 AM

First thing I replaced way back when on my RTR was an Integy 55T motor.. It made a big difference.. I don't mind the ESC.. I am still using that ESC on my ARTR crawler with a 45T motor and 12T pinion gear and it crawls just fine.

523revo 03-02-2009 02:11 PM

Im running a 45t motor with the stock esc which made things smoother but as I said before running with the polarity reversed from the esc to the motor made a huge differance to how jerky my truck was at low throttle.

Pdog7 03-02-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcrazyp (Post 1653310)
if i was you i would take the foam out of the tires pull your front bead locks off fill the front wheels with water all you can get in there and then half way on the back and take that 27 t motor and throw it in the trash get you a 45 or 55 turn and buy you the good links and trash the ones on there you will see a differnce i run water and a havoc 45 turn with roster speed control

Water will never be enough weight, I run 14.5oz in each front wheel and 10.5 in each rear wheel, besides your tires need to be vented with two small 1/8" holes to allow the trapped air out of the tire when compressed.
If you want your rig to dance around and never hold a line then maybe the water method is for you. You want your tires to conform to the rock and this accomplished by venting your rims to allow air to escape thereby allowing the foam inside to compress. The rtr rims are not drilled. Drill 2 1/8" holes and your performance will greatly improve and yeah switch to a 45 or 55turn motor and new esc."thumbsup"

BEELZEBOB 03-02-2009 04:00 PM

For S&G the other day i put the crystal back in the original RTR controller.

w/ an intigy 55t motor, it wont crawl. it just jumps to like 75% of full go.

i wonder if thats the stock ESC issue, or the controller?