Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Noob questions

Ok guys I am new to crawling. I want to build my own rig instead of buying one. I have an idea of what I want it to look like but I don't have the first idea of where to go to buy the parts or where to start. I have a set of clod axels to start with, thats about it. I know that I need a chassis, motor, ESC, electronics, and so on. I want to build the chassis first then slowly get everything else. I would like to build a tube chassis. I have found a picture of one that I would like to make mine like. I have attached the picture for you guys. I dont know where to get any of the stuff I need. Please help me. Thanks ahead of time.

usmcpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Oh my gosh. Where to start.
It is tough when you don't really know where to begin. Trust me. Been there. Done that.

It looks like you have the links. You said you have the axles. How about looking on here at other people's rigs and pay really close attention to how things are attached to the chassis. Move passed the rigs that sit really high.
Remember you want everything to be low in the rig to have a low CG.

Once you have the axles mounted then you can look how to mount your Servo(s) and fabricate some.

How about this. Follow this build that took place a while ago but it still has some really good "How To's" in it.
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/projectcrawler-stage1.html

You can PM me anytime and I will help you out. I will answer all of your questions to the best of my ability.

Be sure to look at other rigs
The Rock-Clod Gallery: A place to post u'r clod in action!
dkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

hey welcome.
you have found the most informative site this side of mars.

the search bar will be your best friend.
SEARCH

yes there is a classifieds section.
Classifieds

make it be known your here....
INTRO

... and lastly here is a great place to start.
Tips and Tricks... the bibles

enjoy your stay.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkur View Post
Oh my gosh. Where to start.
It is tough when you don't really know where to begin. Trust me. Been there. Done that.

It looks like you have the links. You said you have the axles. How about looking on here at other people's rigs and pay really close attention to how things are attached to the chassis. Move passed the rigs that sit really high.
Remember you want everything to be low in the rig to have a low CG.

Once you have the axles mounted then you can look how to mount your Servo(s) and fabricate some.

How about this. Follow this build that took place a while ago but it still has some really good "How To's" in it.
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/projectcrawler-stage1.html

You can PM me anytime and I will help you out. I will answer all of your questions to the best of my ability.

Be sure to look at other rigs
The Rock-Clod Gallery: A place to post u'r clod in action!
hey thanks for the response. i dont have anything but the axels. the pics are something i found that i would like to emulate. i like that set up. i need to know where to get the links and the side plates..... i will start looking around here more. really i just need to know where to get the links and the side plates. i think i can find the rest with out problems. i think.... haha
usmcpunk is offline   Reply With Quote