Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Just wonderin about lipo temps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Default Just wonderin about lipo temps

Hey guys i know this aint a crawler but im runnin a 2s 15c 4000mah pack on my rustler with stock gearing and a trinity 2pk motor and it just seems the battery temp is awful warm. Can anyone tell me the safe temp for a pack like this. This is my first lipo and i don't wanna screw it up these things ain't cheap. ya know. Any help would be apprecieated.
Z-Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I don't really know how warm you can run a lipo, but I start to get nervous when they get warm. Never have had one blow up on me, but I'm not too keen on testing my luck. I'd probably gear it down a little.

Just make sure your gear mesh is set right and there's no binding in the drivetrain. The 2pk is a 27t right? I would think a 15c 4k 2s pack ought to be enough for a 27t. If there's no binding or bad bearings I'd probably gear it down some just to be safe.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #3

well ive been thinkin about goin brushless but idk what i wanna do yet i really wanna throw 14.8v to it with to 2s packs but cant find an esc to handle it other than an evx-2 but its not brushless but i just want it fast as hell for what it is
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I've got a VXL system in my slash and it flat hauls on 3 cell. I'm geared pretty tall and it still has no overheating problems. If I ponied up the cash to get a really stupid huge battery I'm certain I could get it past 70 I had a mamba max/5700 motor combo for a while and I honestly think the VXL motor is better. The mamba is a better ESC, but traxxas really nailed the motor square on the head, it's easily the best basher motor I've ever used.
I really had to gear down the 5700, the guy I sold it to ran it with stock gearing and got the motor up to 200 degrees in one pack I've run 3 or 4 packs through the VXL and the motor was still cool enough to touch.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Actually 130 is tops, at 140 you will start to damage the cells. Generally 125 is about the max you actually want to see when running. Your using a 15C pack right now and that's why it running warm. If you step up to a 20C or higher pack you'll see cooler temps and a more efficient set-up.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' gravy leg View Post
140F to 150F is at the high range of safe temps. Over 160F and you'll have problems.
Personally, I wouldn't go over 150.

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingston View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go over 150.

- David
You won't go over 150 more than two or three times if that before you see a fire.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #8

ok guys this is definetly the info i was lookin for has anybody ran the mamba sidewinder with a 4600kv in a rustler or other 2wd. im thinkin bout buyin one. I know that castle creations makes some bad a$$ stuff but idk about this setup. The price is deffinetly good for 129 from stormer
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Anderson View Post
ok guys this is definetly the info i was lookin for has anybody ran the mamba sidewinder with a 4600kv in a rustler or other 2wd. im thinkin bout buyin one. I know that castle creations makes some bad a$$ stuff but idk about this setup. The price is deffinetly good for 129 from stormer
From Joe at castle, the 4600 is great for shorter tracks if racing. If bashing or running on larger tracks go with the 5700 system.

Jason
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-eyed Jack View Post
You won't go over 150 more than two or three times if that before you see a fire.
Exactly.

I know guys that routinely go to 130-140 for racing and the performance enhancement is staggering. So much in fact, that ROAR is going to a battery temp rule for electric racing. These guys are pushing the limits and someone is going to make a mistake.

I do warm mine some, only when I am running in sub 40 degree weather. In all honesty I don't think I have ever really gone over 100 degrees.

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
From Joe at castle, the 4600 is great for shorter tracks if racing. If bashing or running on larger tracks go with the 5700 system.

Jason

But if you decide to run it in a Slash, stick with the 4600 and if you feel the need for big speed, add voltage to it.

The 5700 will get a tad hot in a porky Slash.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
But if you decide to run it in a Slash, stick with the 4600 and if you feel the need for big speed, add voltage to it.

The 5700 will get a tad hot in a porky Slash.
Not totally true if geared right the 5700 on a 2S pack works best on larger tracks. It's what I race with in my slash and it works great. Good temps and almost to much power.

-J
Old 02-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Not totally true if geared right the 5700 on a 2S pack works best on larger tracks. It's what I race with in my slash and it works great. Good temps and almost to much power.

-J
I really meant if he was gonna be bashing around with it.

For someone running 8-10 minute heats on a groomed track, yes a 5700 is definately do-able. Bashing at the house...not so much.

Seems most never really fine tune the gearing like they should.
You end up getting the " I am running a 5700 in my Slash geared 21/86 and I can't figure out why it gets hot." routine.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #14

Well I'm really not plannin to race just bash the hell out off it. I want the speed. I wanna run 14.8v through two 2s packs. I really just want the speed LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Don't know about actual temps but get a battery that is at least 20-25c.
As for the 5700 Mamba, they are bulletproof and tend to run hotter.
If it gets too hot, they just thermal and shut down until it cools. The 5700 combo will offer you the most versatility so you can make adjustments through your gearing.
emidyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually 130 is tops, at 140 you will start to damage the cells. Generally 125 is about the max you actually want to see when running. Your using a 15C pack right now and that's why it running warm. If you step up to a 20C or higher pack you'll see cooler temps and a more efficient set-up.

Jason
So Jason, what are your thoughts on the new Trinity Lipo warmer that toasts packs to, and keeps them at 140 degrees?

http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=TRI20235

Trinity claims that it lowers internal resistance and increases voltage. Sounds bunk to me, but thought I'd ask someone in the biz.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

We posted this all over the net in response to that a while ago ..............

Lipo Battery Warming Devices/”Bumping” Lipo Packs: Do not under any circumstances attempt to “heat up” your batteries or increase the voltage of a pack above 4.2V per cell using these devices or techniques. Some insidious lithium polymer retailers/distributors have suggested using these devices and techniques to increase the performance of your lithium polymer packs. THIS IS NOT SAFE AND IS LITERALLY PLAYING WITH FIRE!

Devices on the market that heat up lithium polymer batteries can increase the risk of a fire. Lithium polymer cell manufacturers suggest that 140 degrees is NOT a safe temperature for a lithium polymer cell. At 140 degrees, the pack can become unstable and very dangerous. The small increase in performance is not worth the risk of a fire. PLEASE STAY SMART AND SAFE BY NOT USING THESE PRODUCTS!

Some retailers/distributors of other brands of lithium polymer batteries have suggested that their customers and racers “bump” the voltage of their packs using settings other than the lithium polymer setting on their charger. The manufacturers of lithium polymer cells suggest a voltage range of 3V-4.2V. Increasing voltage above 4.2V per cell is not safe. You should never attempt to charge your packs beyond the voltage set for lithium polymer packs on your lithium polymer charger. Using other battery settings to “bump” the voltage beyond 4.2V per cell can cause fire and injury. The small increase in performance is not worth the risk of fire. PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE METHODS!

Best regards,

The MaxAmps.com Team

-J
Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by emidyl View Post
As for the 5700, they are bulletproof and tend to run hotter.
If it gets too hot, they just thermal and shut down until it cools.
You sure you don't mean the ESC shuts down?

I've never heard of a motor that shuts down if it thermals.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm running a 5700k Sidewinder in one of my Slashes. Stock spur and 19 tooth pinion. It's a fun set up, more power than the truck really needs. Fine throttle control is a must. It does get a tad on the hot side if I push it hard.

I was also skeptical about a "budget" package, but it's been great so far. A lot of bang for the buck.

About the LiPos and heat - I'm really starting to wonder if I'm doing this right? I'm new to LiPos and have accumulated a few different packs. My charger is a Hyperion EOSO 0606i. What I'm wondering about is not excessive heat, but a total lack of it. All I've ever heard about LiPo's is how hot they can get and how potentially dangerous they can be. Either running or charging, none of my LiPos even begin to get warm. After all the warnings I'd read I was almost scared to charge them at first. I set the charger up out in my garage and placed the batteries in an old iron skillet while they were charging. But now I've cycled all my LiPo's several times each and they are never any warmer than what the ambient air temp. makes them, either on the charger or running any car/truck regardless of type. I don't even bother taking them out of a car/truck to charge them anymore, it just seems like a waste of time.
Is this good or bad???

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote