Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new to electric

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #1

Default new to electric

like i said im new to electric rc. past i have had many hpi street cars and one tmazz 3.3 i have a 48 jeep cj2 and wanting to build a crawler from scratch. only think i havent found a true answer yet is a speed control. going from nitro to electric should be easy just needing to know exactly it does. is it just a controller that turns your input from trigger to volts through motor? basically a servo contolling throttle? i know its a easy question just havent found a 100% answer yet.
mmikeclass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

Yeah, that is all a ESC is...a electronic device that takes you radio input and converts it the voltage to run a motor. The more you pull the more voltage that is applied to the motor. Just like a servo pulling throttle linkage to a carb like on a nitro vehicle.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

im also totally new to electric. iwas lookin around, and couldn't relly find anything... i just got my goat crawler for my creeper, and im kinda stumped... it has one wire, im assuming for the throttle. how do i power my reciever? im not trying to hijack a thred or anything, just wondering. i appreciate any help.
hiperbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #4

ya i have a true 1948 jeep and wanting to make a "scale" they call it and been looking at brasing so next week is first time building my own chassis as well as everything else. figured y buy a rtr then replace everything when i can start from a body and go from there. i know ill have to trash it and start over but owell. still cheaper in long run
mmikeclass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

an actual cj2? thats pretty kickass. ive got about 5 jeeps, 3 cj7 2 cj5. used too have a 78 cherokee chief sittin on 36 swampers with a 360... my daily driver is a 2002 jeep liberty. you could say that my family has jeep in the blood. first rc body ever was a cj8 scrambler, ive had it for about 7 years. and it looks like it. i broke it in half the other day on my t-maxx. good luck on builing the scaler.. ive built my creeper now, and after a while ill prolly want to build a tuber... take it easy, devon
hiperbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ESCs don't limit voltage, that's why they're so much more efficient than mechanical speed controls. They apply full throttle intermittently to control speed, not a % of voltage constantly. I read that somewhere (I think a Tamiya manual) years ago and it makes sense to me.
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote