Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best Starter Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #1

Default Best Starter Rig

Sup, just joined and am considering a few rigs wanted to get some input from ya'll for a first rig. Really don't want to spend a grand but don't want to have to upgrade in a month or two.

Thanks,
Cliff
countriboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The best bang for the buck right now would be a AX10 ATR, a Rooster crawler and 55T motor, and the 2.4 ghz radio of your choice. Throw in some batteries and you're crawling!!!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yup! Hard to beat the bang for the buck of the ARTR right now. Might look @ a sidewinder as well and compare it with the Novak before you buy.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

x3
But once you get it. You will be doing mods and upgrades.
Hey thats 1/2 the fun.
ktmkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

x4. worth the extra money. just get the electric combo you want and go for it. no need to upgrade the suspension.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Axial ARTR with castle sidewinder ....great combo and get a 45t or 55t lathe motor
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

AX10 ARTR with 2.4 gig electronics, novac crawler esc, itegy 45/55/75T motor, small 2C e-flight LiPo. Crawlers are tough to really make super budget cars without heavy mods, like the Duratrax Cliff Climber, which is like a smaller dirt cheap Berg. If you want a rig that is user friendly and a whole lot more fun to work with, use the same electronics on a Kyosho Rock Force. Its a lot more fun to drive. You can fine tune the suspension with zip ties! How creative is that? Its a tad bit more pricey. Or you could get the Losi Crawler, which you can grow in all the way, and its only thirty bucks more than the AX10 kits. Don't just look into one option, look into everything. Think of what you want to do with it, whether its all around bashing or doing serious competitions. The choices are endless when it comes to the car, and these electrics are kinda fit one, fit them all. The crawler world has become amazing.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If money is tight go fot the axial rtr. It comes with a radio and an esc already. I bought the artr and my bro bought the rtr you end up paying the same price in the end except for the rtr comes driving out of the box. Yes the rtr esc and servo and radio arent the best but they work for a beginner. The axial rtr is 233.99 and the artr is 224.99. But the artr still needs a radio, esc, reciever, motor and servo. All adding up to a ton of money the rtr just needs batteries.The only down fall to the rtr is plastic running gear but the is like a 40 dollar mod to make it all metal
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The best bang for the buck right now would be a AX10 ATR, a Rooster crawler and 55T motor, and the 2.4 ghz radio of your choice. Throw in some batteries and you're crawling!!!
That is exactly what I just did. Same ESC and Motor combo, too. Tower has em, plus a $15 gift certificate right now.

This is one bad ass lil truck. My buddies are all in awe watching it climb around on the junk pile behind the shop at work. This aint your kid's POS Nikko monster truck.

Enjoy!
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have both an Axial comp rig and a Losi MRC comp rig and I think out of the box the Losi is much better, with some cheap even free mods it can be a very capable truck.
Hillcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #11

Go with the ax-10!!
and if you don't wanna build one, lmk I am almost done with a ax-10 tubber, I could sell you!!
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #12

Price, but i would not mind building then I know where to start fixin when I start breaking. I read through the build of one just now looks like a great rig to start the hobby with. Does any one here know of any good Hobby Shops around B'ham Al.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by countriboy84 View Post
Price, but i would not mind building then I know where to start fixin when I start breaking. I read through the build of one just now looks like a great rig to start the hobby with. Does any one here know of any good Hobby Shops around B'ham Al.
dude hobby shops are cool, but I used TCS ( http://www.tcscrawlers.com/ ) for all my stuff, they will answer any question you will ever have, and for the most parts stock everything I needed, and best of all they have super fast shipping!!
and my crawler I don't really have a price set right now, I have to add up the totals , but you are right, you should build your own, it helps knowing you built the truck the way you want it!!
plus if you ever need to change anything on it, it will b easier since you put it together, and will know how the whole thing works!!
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #14

Here are a few that have caught my eye. Keep in mind this one will be used for hauling around in my jeep to play with while we are kickin back and drinkin some cold frothy beverages on the trail. Please give a lil input if you have ran these or know more about what is needed to get running. I am heavily leaning towards the AX-10 right now plus it is a great price to check out the world of RC Crawling.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Team-Losi...k-p-16947.html

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-2...2-p-16753.html

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/ON-SALE-1...R-p-17175.html
Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I dont have any experience with the venom. But stay away from the losi mini crawler. the axial rtr will outclimb the losi any day of the week. If you wanna haul it around in your jeep and climb some of your trails you do with your jeep go with the 1/10 scale like the venom or axial. the losi will not be able to climb as much. Bang for buck axial rtr is the cheapest to get you rolling
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #16

I think it depends on what you're crawling.

I highly recommend looking at the Losi MRC as your first crawler. It's pure fun and can be used indoors and outdoors. You can sit on your couch and have fun playing with the MRC. I doubt you can do that with an Axial because it won't be challenged indoors. The Losi is cheaper, already has tons of aftermarket support, and that's bound to increase. Plus, many guys on this site have said they have gotten their MRC to run "2.2 lines" so it's not like they're incapable of serious crawling. Plus, the Losi can be had for $209.99 at CKRC: http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1075

With all the 1/10th scale competition (Losi certainly comes to mind) I'm not sure you'd want to jump on the Axial train at this point. Plus, the Axial kit is cheap, but you still need the electronics which is going to double that price unless you skimp on everthing.

I definitely wouldn't recommend getting the Axial RTR! I talked with a few guys at a crawling competition and they all talked me out of getting the RTR and I'm glad they did. I saw one in person and they look junk and they are surely are not even close to being ready to crawl. I'd bet a stock Losi MRC crawls better than a stock Axial RTR.

What about the Axial SCX-10? Do the scale trucks interest you? But there again you have to add electronics to the price.

The Venom is new and has been experiencing teething problems so I'd hold off on that for a little while. And it doesn't really have any aftermarket support yet. Hopefully it does gain a following and a lot of aftermarket support because it's a cool truck and I'd love to have one!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-27-2009 at 10:53 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I would go with the ARTR as well but would go with the Tekin FXR combo, and a good servo and 3ch radio. If you can afford it go 2.4g on the radio but if you can't swing that then get an FM system. Stay clear from AM. Another option would be to just buy a set of axles and a trans. Then buy the Chassis kit of your choice, some nice shocks, wheels, tires, Body, and all the electronics. Doing this would be between $75 and $100 more than just buying the ARTR but you would have alot nicer rig and you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading later. The only thing you might do is add a dig later on.

Last edited by bigflex; 02-28-2009 at 01:46 PM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Venom all the way
88_Pathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

AX10's are cool, but more then likely you'll want better performance and you'll want to upgrade everything. Go used or start with a chassis kit like the DNA slingshot. It comes with just about everything minus the axles and wheels to make it a rolling chassis. If you hit search and click on advanced search, another window pops up. Over to the right, you'll see "search by user name". Type in robvbro81. Hit him up. He's got a nicely upgraded and ready to run minus battery for a good deal. Here is a list of what he's got to offer. For 350 that could go really quick.

Brand NEW Bender/Axial SWX chassis with links
Axial RTR axles and tranny (lightly used)
Axial RTR Bead locks with Green rock rings (used)
DNA VF Dig black with Hitec 225 servo (NEW)
Mip CVD for front (used but cant tell)
TCS-Delrin Boomerang Rear 4 link mount (NIP)
TCS-Delrin Boomerang Front servo/4 link mount (NIP)
Integy King Pins
Epic 55T motor (NEW)
Castle Creations Mamba Maxx ESC (NEW)
Stock drive lines with metal yokes (used)
Associated am Radio and RX
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by countriboy84 View Post
Here are a few that have caught my eye. Keep in mind this one will be used for hauling around in my jeep to play with while we are kickin back and drinkin some cold frothy beverages on the trail. Please give a lil input if you have ran these or know more about what is needed to get running. I am heavily leaning towards the AX-10 right now plus it is a great price to check out the world of RC Crawling.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Team-Losi...k-p-16947.html
great for a second or third rig.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-2...2-p-16753.html
you would have to be crazy....rtr? its all junk
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/ON-SALE-1...R-p-17175.html
this is a real rig. look into the details....dig ready, better wheels and tires.
this rig will do more out of the box than most.
Either but a cheap TQ3 tx & rx or get something nice 2.4 3 or 4 channel.
Venon all day
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote