Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best starter scaler rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Default Best starter scaler rig

Pretty new to the crawler world and want to get a rig that is great to start from the ground up. Limited on funds but I'm looking towards getting the axial scx10 and dont know what else to buy for it. I'm probably going to use a tq3 for this crawler because i dont got money
i'm also looking towards just buying everything separate. axles and trans., wheels, shocks, etc.

If you guys got any other suggestions, like a different crawler or setup that would be great
buddha.licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i would imagine that the scx10 might be a little more capable, but i own a cr01 and this rig is a complete blast to drive. there are a few things you can do to it to make it more capable, but i aint too sure how it matches up against the scx10
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #3

thanks for the suggestion IDnewcrwlr
Old 03-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #4

anyone else know what would be good?
another question, would i need to do anything to the tq3 remote? ive seen people changing the reverse button to something else?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha.licious View Post
anyone else know what would be good?
another question, would i need to do anything to the tq3 remote? ive seen people changing the reverse button to something else?
The 3 position switch mod for the TQ3 is mostly used for winches & dig. It is an easy mod that works great.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #6

ok thanks jmz6

Last edited by buddha.licious; 03-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #7

This is a question I've had in my own head. I'm not sure if I'm ever getting a scaler, but if I do I'd have to decide between the Tamiya CR-01 (The FJ body is so cool. The frame and suspension are so cool and unique. It's Tamiya and that's alway a plus. And it just looks like a cool and fun truck. Something about it speaks to me!), Axial SCX-10, or the Tamiya High-Lift.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'm in the same boat man. Gonna build my first scale rig as soon as I can figure out which way I wanna go.
I'm really leaning towards the SCX10 personally because I have all the electronics I need to get it up and running except an ESC. I can't decide if I want a sidewinder or Tekin ESC.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

i'm have the tekin fx-r it is great
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #10

yeah was thinking about getting the tekin fx-r setup to start out. Hows the Novak rooster setup with the 55t motor?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #11

I just ordered my first scaler last night, the Axial SCX-10. The Crawler Store has them on sale for 219 right now. I too was undecided on which kit to get, but ultimately, I realized that the Axial is by far the most common brand out there and parts are pretty much at any LHS. Plus, the Axial give you the option of a dig unit if you ever want, or even just buying a comp chassis kit and converting it to a competetive crawler down the road. Plus, 219 is a very cheap initial buy-in price.
Ayers.Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

SCX-10. Great outta the box rig.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #13

thanks guys,
thats exactly where i was gonna buy it
ayers.garage what esc and motor did you get?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Wink

The SCX10 is definately the cheepest out of the group. As much as I love Tamiya, their stuff is way too overpriced. The SCX10 is a good platform. Hook that up with your radio, a simple high torque servo, an integy crawler motor, and a decent, but dirt cheap hobbico ESC with reverse and you got yourself a good rig. I run a Duratrax Sprint ESC in my AX10. Its got all ya need: Good throttle control, engine braking, subtle reverse, and a built in drag brake. Cost me $24 bucks. I would suggest running a seven cell with a cheap brushed setup. You get better throttle control and a little more wheel speed. I would suggest Integy's 45 turn crawler motor, because the tires on the SCX10 are smaller, so more speed and a little less torque will suit it perfectly. I hope this helped! I would use these electronics in pretty much anything too. Except a 65T for the CR01, AX10 and CC01 because it has worked better for me. Everything else though: Losi crawler, high lift trucks, Kyosho Rock Force, PTI Goliath, and so on I would run the exact same systems. You might want to look into the Duratrax Cliff Climber. Its a good starter, and its one of those cars to learn how to modify yourself. It is a car with a lot of potential. I hope this helped!
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr View Post
i would imagine that the scx10 might be a little more capable, but i own a cr01 and this rig is a complete blast to drive. there are a few things you can do to it to make it more capable, but i aint too sure how it matches up against the scx10
I would say that the CR01 is actually quite more capable than the SCX10. The CR01 has much more articulation, larger tires, and better clearance. The SCX10 is alot more limited than I would expect Axial to make it. Articulation is quite small. The whole 1.9 to 2.2 comparison thing makes a huge difference too.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
The SCX10 is definately the cheepest out of the group. As much as I love Tamiya, their stuff is way too overpriced. The SCX10 is a good platform. Hook that up with your radio, a simple high torque servo, an integy crawler motor, and a decent, but dirt cheap hobbico ESC with reverse and you got yourself a good rig. I run a Duratrax Sprint ESC in my AX10. Its got all ya need: Good throttle control, engine braking, subtle reverse, and a built in drag brake. Cost me $24 bucks. I would suggest running a seven cell with a cheap brushed setup. You get better throttle control and a little more wheel speed. I would suggest Integy's 45 turn crawler motor, because the tires on the SCX10 are smaller, so more speed and a little less torque will suit it perfectly. I hope this helped! I would use these electronics in pretty much anything too. Except a 65T for the CR01, AX10 and CC01 because it has worked better for me. Everything else though: Losi crawler, high lift trucks, Kyosho Rock Force, PTI Goliath, and so on I would run the exact same systems. You might want to look into the Duratrax Cliff Climber. Its a good starter, and its one of those cars to learn how to modify yourself. It is a car with a lot of potential. I hope this helped!
thanks
this is exactly what i was waiting for someone to tell me
thanks tom tom
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #17

ok
well my uncle said he can build me a custom frame, so i dont think its gonna be a problem just running the stock one for now