Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: swx chasis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #1

Default swx chasis

well i finally decided to go to the hobby shop and pick up the swx chasis...well, i ran into a problem where i can not line the plates that hold the engine mounts up...do i have to run 2 motors or is there another plate that lines up that i forgot to grab...all the searches i found were only of the builds for this chasis. i have noticed most of them run digs...can someone please elaborate more on that for me if thats what i have to do? i dont mind i just want to get this chasis set up...thanks for the help.
tuesdaysfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Can you post up a picture of what you are talking about? I have put three crawlers together with SWX chassis and have never had a problem.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #3

ill get the pics on later tonight. basically the stock plate that holds the engine and tranny do not line up with the holes on the chasis...just need to know if i need a different plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Illusion View Post
Can you post up a picture of what you are talking about? I have put three crawlers together with SWX chassis and have never had a problem.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Are you trying to use a stock AX10 skid to mount up to the SWX side plates? You have to use the SWX skid. Did you buy the whole kit, or just side plates? You don't have to run a dig, but you may have to modify the skid because the rear drive shaft may hit the back of the skid at full extension. The transmission is flipped around so the motor is on the right side of the chassis. The SWX is a comp chassis, and most people run dig units.

Last edited by gunnar; 03-02-2009 at 10:12 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It sounds like you are trying to run the stock Axial Plate with the SWX side plates. Is this correct? If so you will either have to cut holes that the stock plate will line up or what I would recommend is buying the SWX skid plate.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #6

yeah i didnt know that there was a whole kit. i went in, asked for the swx chasis and only got the side plates. i thought that i was able to use the stock ax10 skid, took the whole rc apart and found out they didnt line up. i appreciate the help going to go find the p/n for the skid now.

as for digs, how do those work, are they complicated to set up?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #7

yeah i didnt know that there was a whole kit. i went in, asked for the swx chasis and only got the side plates. i thought that i was able to use the stock ax10 skid, took the whole rc apart and found out they didnt line up. i appreciate the help going to go find the p/n for the skid now.

as for digs, how do those work, are they complicated to set up?

im
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

My suggestion would be to take the plates back and get the whole kit. It comes with the proper spacers and links needed to correctly set up the chassis. Dig units are used to make only the front wheels have power, while the rear wheels are either locked, or in free-wheel mode. This is to make the rig turn much tighter, and to help with climbing steep obstacles. In a comp situation, sometimes gates are close together, and you need to make tight turns in order to clear them. Dig units can be easy to set up, providing they are assembled properly and the servo is adjusted properly to make them function.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #9

so im assuming that the stock ax10 spacers arent the right ones? ill probably do as you said and take them back, just get the whole kit...gunnar is your rig 4 linked up front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
My suggestion would be to take the plates back and get the whole kit. It comes with the proper spacers and links needed to correctly set up the chassis. Dig units are used to make only the front wheels have power, while the rear wheels are either locked, or in free-wheel mode. This is to make the rig turn much tighter, and to help with climbing steep obstacles. In a comp situation, sometimes gates are close together, and you need to make tight turns in order to clear them. Dig units can be easy to set up, providing they are assembled properly and the servo is adjusted properly to make them function.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #10

with a dig, do i have to run 2 motors?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

no, a dig requires 2 servo's. Def take the plates back. You cannot assemble a running crawler with just the side plates and skid. You need all the other pieces so its best to get the kit
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #12

thanks, i am going to take the plates back and purchase the whole kit today...appreciate the help!which servos are the best for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
no, a dig requires 2 servo's. Def take the plates back. You cannot assemble a running crawler with just the side plates and skid. You need all the other pieces so its best to get the kit
Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaysfall View Post
thanks, i am going to take the plates back and purchase the whole kit today...appreciate the help!which servos are the best for this?
sorry, I worded it wrong, a crawler with a dig requires 2 servo's. A dig requires 1 servo as to operate the arm. Most people run 225mg's or a standard size servo
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Keep in mind that you also need a 3 channel radio to run a dig unit. Preferably one with a 3 position 3rd channel, but a 2 position can work, you just wont be able to run rear freewheel.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #15

yeah i read that, thats not a problem, just want to hurry and get this thing back together
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
Keep in mind that you also need a 3 channel radio to run a dig unit. Preferably one with a 3 position 3rd channel, but a 2 position can work, you just wont be able to run rear freewheel.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaysfall View Post
so im assuming that the stock ax10 spacers arent the right ones? ill probably do as you said and take them back, just get the whole kit...gunnar is your rig 4 linked up front?
Yes 4 link front and rear. You can click on the link below this and learn all about my build, if you wish.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #17

yeah I've read your build...the day I bought the side plates for the swx and realized they didn't fit, I jumped on my pda and searched for the swx build threads. yours was the first to pop up do I drained the battery on my phone reading yours...what 4 link setup are you using? is the link for it on your build page? thanks man
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Yes 4 link front and rear. You can click on the link below this and learn all about my build, if you wish.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Gunnar's using the TCS Boomerang Delrin version.

SWX Chassis Kit: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-3...6-p-17148.html

TCS Boomerang (Delrin Version): http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-2...g-p-16523.html

TCS Boomerang (Black Anodized): http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-4...g-p-17282.html

TCS 4 link servo Mount: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-4...g-p-17283.html

Last edited by treday619; 03-02-2009 at 10:45 PM.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #19

thanks for the links. i may end up returning my servo/battery plate back and just velcro the battery on top of the servo...not sure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
Gunnar's using the TCS Boomerang Delrin version.

SWX Chassis Kit: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-3...6-p-17148.html

TCS Boomerang (Delrin Version): http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-2...g-p-16523.html

TCS Boomerang (Black Anodized): http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-4...g-p-17282.html

TCS 4 link servo Mount: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-4...g-p-17283.html
Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

[quote=treday619;1657368] Gunnar's using the TCS Boomerang Delrin version.

Correct on the rear setup. That uses all the standard Bender links. I actually used the RCP version of the front 4 link/servo mt. for initial set up only, to take measurements, etc. The front mount is custom made from 12 guage steel, and uses a slightly shorter top link(57mm), standard lower. Presently have changed to bent Delrin lower links, sized for the SWX.

Last edited by gunnar; 03-06-2009 at 12:50 PM.