Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Opinions on Trinity 45T motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Opinions on Trinity 45T motors

I need a couple of decent motors for my axles. I own a HH handwound 35T and love it, but I was looking for a cheaper alternative. Not interested in integy but at $36 for a Trinity 45T "built for torque" doesn't sound bad.

It'll be running off a 3S lipo. Any opinions on these?

EDIT: OK... Just saw these.

Integy... but the 45T option looks pretty decent too. Any thought on which is the better motor?

Thanks

Last edited by Harvo; 03-02-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't have an opinion on the integy, but if the trinity has the epic p-94 endbell I would stay away.I boughtt two trinity speed gems motors a titanite, and a nitronite they both use the popular p-94 junk endbell. The brushes on both motors grind off at a angle. this causes the motor to get stalled when you stop at the negetive side of the crooked brush. It's extremely aggrovating.. I would check the novak fourty-five I have seen the for 26.99. I love my fifty five.Some people don't like the rooster, but there is nothing neg. to say about there motors
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have been running 45t trinity epics w/ Tekin FXR's in my berg rig for a few weeks now. I'll be honest...when I first got them, I wasnt to happy with them. They seemed really jerky and didnt seem to have good hair trigger throttle control. Partly due to the fact that I couldnt get them to Nuetral out with the two esc's (i was being dumb ) But after a few packs they came around and they just seem to be getting better and better. I dunno, I guess they just had to break in...cause now, I LOVE THEM! They have gobs of torque and the hair trigger is pretty sick now. So, if you do decide to get them...give them a chance to break in before you make any judgements on them. I would definetly recomend them though...Great Motors!!
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

I would go with the Epic soley for the can, much stronger magnetic field. youll get a stronger feel out of them but like mentioned at times can feel like an on/off switch untill you get use to it.

other then that .... there's not much difference between the two. both have full stack arms, standup brush, cap in the endbell and both machine wound.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well this is interesting. So what's the consensus on the Holmes Torque Master's with the P-94 endbell, if the P-94 endbell is "junk"?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I haven't had a problem with the p-94 build, they are pretty good quality actually. Too bad epic won't make anymore and I already sold through all the blanks that were left in the states.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

So the trinity epics that Tower sells are pretty decent for a machine wound? And you say they have agood torquey feel?

I guess if they share components with some JRH motors then they must be OK...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #8

It will have more torque and brake than an integy, that is for sure. Won't have as much power as a hand wound, but that is to be expected.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
but at $36 for a Trinity 45T....doesn't sound bad.
No, not bad... But for $15 more you can have killer handwounds (a little over $50)
Spend the few extra bucks and get real motors
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
No, not bad... But for $15 more you can have killer handwounds (a little over $50)
Spend the few extra bucks and get real motors
I don't want to drop the big $$ just to bash them while learning to drive a berg
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've read elsewhere that the P-94 brushes wear very quickly, and even chunk out.

I run Integy V11 55's in my Super and ran a 55T black can Integy in last years 2.2, and have to admit they are very smooth. Perhaps not the most powerful, but for the way I drive, smoothness outweighs power.

Never having wheeled a crawler with a nice handwound motor, I can't compare them to anything, so reading that the P-94 endbell has potential issues kind of threw me off after thinking that I had found my motor in the HH Torque Master.

I'm not ruling it out, just thinking twice.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #12

Brush wear is a function of the material it is made of and the power passed through it, and chunking is typical for a bad batch of brushes. It can happen to any batch, no matter what shape.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

P94 is simply a larger brush. It was a marketing gimmick by trinity to force you to buy brushes from only them, as they didn't allow others to make the p94 size brush. They are no more prone to anything than a regular size brush. They didn't handle any more current either, as the current is limited by the shunt anyways.

If you had issues with them chipping or grinding or whatever, something else is wrong. Check the alignment on your hoods or look at the comm and see if one of the plates is raised. Or like John said, you may of just stumbled on a bad batch of brushes.

And you should ALWAYS break your motors in.........5 min at 3 volts will do the trick for most motors....don't dip it in water, just on the table with a fan blowing on it is fine.

I have ran hundreds of p94 based motors at some of the biggest RC races in the world and never had an issue that was the result of using a p94 brush.

And the integy stuff is NOT the same blank. In most cases the crawler arms are wound on the 3.5mm blanks, while all the trinity stuff is on the 4mm blank......3.5mm in general is not something I would use for a crawler motor (though who knows one day an application may come up).

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote