RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   whats a good wheel base (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/165254-whats-good-wheel-base.html)

corychapman 03-05-2009 07:52 AM

whats a good wheel base

k im making a torsionstyle chassis for my x-crawler and i made it to have a 20inch wheel base, is that to much wheel base?:shock:

freetimecrawler 03-05-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corychapman (Post 1661938)
k im making a torsionstyle chassis for my x-crawler and i made it to have a 20inch wheel base, is that to much wheel base?:shock:

Too much IMO, It's also too long to fit the rules if you plan on running in any comps.
You might want to check the USRCCA rules in the competition section.

corychapman 03-05-2009 08:05 AM

thanks

:ror:ok thanks and um i dont know how, butt i now have just about 90 degres how can a stiffen my chassis any?

freetimecrawler 03-05-2009 08:14 AM

Post some pictures of your rig. That will help people help you better if we can see what you've got going on.

tom tom 03-05-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freetimecrawler (Post 1661947)
Too much IMO, It's also too long to fit the rules if you plan on running in any comps.
You might want to check the USRCCA rules in the competition section.

Good luck getting an X-crawler to fit any rules for any class except for super class. Whatever you do.... use really really big tires!!!! :lol:

corychapman 03-05-2009 08:22 AM

k

ok butt i have to find my USB cable when i get home"thumbsup"

corychapman 03-05-2009 08:25 AM

yea butt i cant find any really big tires ....

freetimecrawler 03-05-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom tom (Post 1661995)
Good luck getting an X-crawler to fit any rules for any class except for super class. Whatever you do.... use really really big tires!!!! :lol:

I sure wasn't suggesting he try and run it in the 2.2 class.
20" is too big for the Super Class rules though.

And Cory, just cause Tom tom says big tires, don't go for the stupid Jumbo Kongs. 40 series Moab XL's will suit it just fine.

engineerjoe 03-05-2009 08:57 AM

my guess is that because it's a torsion chassis, when you shorten the wheelbase to 16-18" you'll also reduce the amount of flex.

try it and see

joesbruiser 03-05-2009 10:22 AM

I run a longer truck last year but for the new rules I shortened up to 17.5 and love it.I would go in the 17-18 inch wheelbase range."thumbsup"

Now on to the articulation.

If its a Pimp Cane style chassis when you shorten it it will get stiffer.And if that's not enough I know on my clod pimp cane that I run year before last I made a bracket that attached further towards the center of the chassis to make it stiffer.The braces were also A good tuning aid.You could make the front or rear longer than the other to change how stiff it was front to back to make up for weight differences ETC.

corychapman 03-05-2009 06:39 PM

oh i know i may be dumn but not dumn enough to go that BIG

corychapman 03-05-2009 06:41 PM

K SO ABOUT between 17 and 18 inches

the3kid 03-06-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesbruiser (Post 1662177)
I run a longer truck last year but for the new rules I shortened up to 17.5 and love it.I would go in the 17-18 inch wheelbase range."thumbsup"

Now on to the articulation.

If its a Pimp Cane style chassis when you shorten it it will get stiffer.And if that's not enough I know on my clod pimp cane that I run year before last I made a bracket that attached further towards the center of the chassis to make it stiffer.The braces were also A good tuning aid.You could make the front or rear longer than the other to change how stiff it was front to back to make up for weight differences ETC.

x2...i run 18 inches...you run a piece on the top of the back bone. the longer it is the less articulation because you have boxed in or squared a piece of the chassis. I used to run mine with about 110 degrees, and never had a problem with it, so just try it out stock and see what it does.
tires...you want 40 series or axial oversized.

corychapman 03-06-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the3kid (Post 1664132)
x2...i run 18 inches...you run a piece on the top of the back bone. the longer it is the less articulation because you have boxed in or squared a piece of the chassis. I used to run mine with about 110 degrees, and never had a problem with it, so just try it out stock and see what it does.
tires...you want 40 series or axial oversized.

alright thanks guys