Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: RTR AX10 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RTR AX10 questions

So it would seem that everyone is using either the kit or the ARTR Ax10. well i am looking at the RTR because i dont think i know enough to put together an ARTR. However looking at the RTR it would seem that the suspension is really stiff on them. what is everyones take on this? i do not plan to comp with it, i just want to go have fun with it, more of a basher rig then anything.
i am used to how my nylint crawled, and i liked its suspension, it was good enough but the motors lacked umph, so thats why im looking for something new. plus the avaliability of aftermarket parts.
GeoffSFAs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i say get it. most will say get the artr, but they have deeper pockets. you could make the rtr just as good if not better than the artr with a few upgrades. go with the rtr, you'll save money.
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

k im 12 and have an ax10 rtr it ok had probs like drive shaft nuthin bad
mine is a basher not somuch a crawler but the suspention is ok too mine all stock no up grades and it goes to 6 1/2 in.
xDamianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For a basher, the RTR is not a bad truck at all. The suspension will break in over time, and it will be good if you plan to run a stick pack up top on the electronics tray (as intended with the RTR). I have never driven a Nylint crawler, but I'm betting that the AX10 RTR will crawl 2x better right out of the box.
Do your self a favor, if you are going to crawl with it, get some better tires at the same time as the truck, and change to them as soon as you get it home
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you are worried about putting it together with the ARTR ther is nothing to really put together you just put in your electronics and tighten every thing. I went with a ARTR when I first started now the only thing left stock is the links, Go with the ARTR mostly likely you will upgrade everything anyway, but the ARTR is a good starter truck.
Hillcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

put lighter shock oil or have like the shock oil half way and flip the shocks. Also try Softer springs.
Tyler Kadlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

I bought a rtr and I regret it, for ten dollars more I could have gotten the artr. The links and steering rods bend easily. With the artr you wont have that problem. As you were told before, the only thing you will have to do is plug and play. installing electronics will only take you about five minutes. and about people having deeper pockets, its not that truthful. in my opinion people who have rtr end up replacing more parts because plastic bends and breaks easily, metal doesnt. try adding the times you will have to replace a part and you will see having something rtr is more expensive. good luck and i hope you consider everyones advise.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I got a used running artr and have replaced almost everything. I would hang out some crawls, do some research, ask lots of questions, and just buy pieces (there are lots of good used parts out there) to build what ya want. Saves the inital cost of all the stuff that you will throw away. Oh and what ever ya get you will be taking it apart/putting it back together alot.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

this should help: way better than the artr in my opinion and way cheaper in the longrun too !

RTR - Part - Price (where to buy) - Part Number
AX10 - $234.99 (amainhobbies) - AX90002
Grey Color Pack - $40 (pretty much anywhere) - AXA1432
Hardware Upgrade Pack - $17 (amainhobbies) - AXA1411
Grey Beadlock Rings - $included - AX8112
Slipper Clutch - $included - AX30414

55t motor - $13.50 (towerhobbies) - AX240007
TX/RX combo - $included
ESC - $included

Soft (White) Springs - $12 ($6 x 2 pr) (towerhobbies) - AX30214
Total - $317.49 before shipping

you can also play with it out of the box, you don't have to wait for the mailman to bring your elecs. if i were you, rtr is the way to go!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

rtr is great for someone that wants it running now and doesnt need a comp rig. i have spent well over 700 on my artr it gets real expensive real quick. go with the rtr it is a great buy. i dont know why axial charges so much for the artr when it doesnt include any electronics
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
rtr is great for someone that wants it running now and doesnt need a comp rig. i have spent well over 700 on my artr it gets real expensive real quick. go with the rtr it is a great buy. i dont know why axial charges so much for the artr when it doesnt include any electronics
they think the $50 aluminum links make it even
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
they think the $50 aluminum links make it even
Don't forget the better then RTR tires that you will still want to replace.
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

really all i would want to end up with is replacing the links, cause plastic is stupid, and a different set of tires. if the suspension worked well enough to get me where i wanted to go i'd be perfectly happy with it. i'd be using it for playing around in the creek by my house. there are some rocks, gravel bars, couple of conrecte piles that are fun to drive on. i also have a problem with mud, and the fact i cant stay out of it, haha. but the nylint severly lacks wheel turning speed to make it worthwhile for mud. hell most obsticles i couldnt get over were a result of no wheel spin.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Sorry if i'm hijacking but what type of radio does the RTR come with? Is it any good?
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Best I can tell, it's a re-branded Futaba. Not sure on the model, but I saw an ad for it................at Tower Hobbies I think.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #16

I did some research on both. Not a whole lot diffrent besides the links go with the rtr and start crawlin
xller8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

im also thinking..what, if anything, could i use from my tmaxx on a ARTR? i have a TQ3 remote, and a whole tmaxx that is a POS. the electronics are good, but the motor is junked out on it. can i use anything from it? servo? speed controller? ( does it have one???? ) or would i be better off just to go with the RTR anyway
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #18

i went ahead and went with the rtr cause i wanted different colored links plus i wanted to drive it so if you dig the orange or green links and can wait to drive it id go with one of them.
SPiDA WEBBiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

one of my first upgrades is i recommend a higher turn motor to get more power and also an swx chassis , i did both of that stuff and the difference is night and day
BEN214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #20

i a also thinking about getting a rtr but in some help with the battery and charger.
i am getting rtr from tcs and these are what i have for the battery http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Batteries-p-1-c-123.html i am not sure if i should go with the 6 cell 1500mah 7.2 split pack for performance and less running time or the 3600mah 7.2 venom stick pack for more running time. this truck is not going to be in any comps it is just a truck i am going to have fun with in my backyard and inside it is more like a basher. can u plz suggest a good charger from tcs for a pretty low price.
<<<ash>>> is offline   Reply With Quote